Is Yamaha amp sufficient

sdecgreen

In terms of power, 85 wpc is certainly fine. Depends on how clean the first watt is. What's the Yamaha model?

Could be a problem with the source CD player, even a poor recording. Does the same thing happen with all your CD's? Are there any CD's that play as clean as you'd like to hear?

Some speaker companies recommend using an amp of double the rated power of the speakers, so the amp is always operating in its most linear, least distorting, power range. If you're listening at really high volume, can you tell whether the amp or the speaker is the source of the distortion?

As Daddy Dee pointed out, a bad recording or bad source can also cause problems.

The amp is a Yamaha HTR5740. The cd is a 5 disc carousel Yamaha DV-C6660. Have only had the speakers 1 week it's hard to say, it seems like most of the cd's I have played seem to distort at upper levels. Maybe I'm just playing to loud but I don't think so in comparison to my 30 year old EPI's. Will swap with the Sherwood amp for comparisons. I just expect more out of the Klipsch, doesn't everyone?

You might also try another source, i.e., a different cd player, just to get an idea. You will hear things on the Klipsch speakers that you didn't hear on the other speakers. Even if you have to just borrow a player from someone. The source can really be a major factor.

I say that, of course, and use a cheap JVC cd player that I bought in '89-'90, and admit I am pretty easy to please.

• 1 month later...

When I was auditioning the RF-83s last month, I had an opportunity to do so with 3 different receivers - Onkyo 905, Yamaha 3800 and Denon 3808.

The RF-83s sounded great with both the Onkyo and Yamaha resulting in very detailed, open and dynamic sound.

When I switched to the Denon 3808 I was shocked at how it degraded the RF-83s sound.

They appeared to loose their punch and openess - they sounded muffled and I had to turn up the volume close to 80% where as with the Onkyo and Yamaha I did not even get to 50%.

I did not focus on the receiver as I was focused on the speakers.

Can't say if the Denon was defective - just a caution as my experience with Denon was not positive when paired with the RF-83.

The first time I heard the RF 83, they were hook up to a top of line Marantz receiver.

After I got them home, I hook them up to a HK ,a Pioneer Elite, a Denon and a Yamaha receiver.

I like the HK sound the best but none of them gave me the wow factor that the Marantz gave me at the store.

I have to say that the Marantz was the most expensive receiver, the HK was second with the Pioneer and the Yamaha was a entry level.

I'm still very happy with my HK, if was not for the reliability issues I would stay with HK, the Yamaha was disappointing but also the cheaper one.

I think every body will agree with the fact that the source as well as the power quality will affect the sound of your speakers regardless of how expensive they are.

The RF 83's are not as difficult to drive as the RF7 are, but still need a middle of line and up receiver.

I was using a 75 W/Ch Yamaha to power my F3´s. I am now using the Yamaha RX-V1800 at 130W/Ch and the sonic change was night to day. The Synergy line needs more power than the Reference. I can get to ear bleeding level without any distortion now, with the lower wattage amp it would get a little muddy at louder volumes.

Ran

• 1 year later...

I have 3 yamaha amps 2 of which were $1500 + and used to have a denon before the POS died

Just got the new PIONEER 1019 and it runs circles around any other AMP under $1500

inclduing the yamahas I paid 3 times the price for

PERIOD

Pioneer is phasing out the ELITE series and incorporating the older techology into this line

with a few cost cuts but not many.. with the same circutry as the ELITE VSX's

that cost $2000 +

the amp is editors choice for under $1000 everywhere from CNET to HT mag and others

techies luv it for following reasons

120Watts x 7 with modified discreet amps

4 HDMI ports with full and true upscaling to 1080 p and all reassignable andprogramable

full DOLBY DIGITAL including HD, TRUE HD and HD MA and THX NEURAL

DTS-HD Master Audio

full USB and IPOD and IPHONE / BLACKBERRY CONNECTIONS and support

with no adapters necessary

full WINDOWS WMD video and audio support for windows media

Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit (MCACC)

supports album art and SIRUS RADIO

beautiful looking with bright blue LCD and 2nd zone outputs

runs cool as uses newer circutry unlike Yamaha and Denon which use 2-4 year old crap carried over

that takes alot more power and runs hotter than this one

bottom line this thing is as loud as a $2000 AMP and sonds as clean as anything under $1500

and best part its $499 lol

GET ONE you will be insanely happy

Before you go and buy yourself a new amp(even though it is a great excuse for new gear), I would also recommend playing some more with what you are running through it.

Not only source wise, with a few different players and formats(VINYL!), but also the era of CD's.

I don't mean the musical style so much, but a quick Google of "Loudness Wars" will explain better than I can.

Klipsch speakers are the perfect storm to make the effects of over compression, far more noticable and unpleasant.

For many, Klipsch is their first speaker ,that is acurate in it's reproduction of mid/hi and it reveals a weakness in the current CD mastering/remastering process, not as noticable in other speakers.

That said, I myself have not yet heard a home theatre receiver with DSP and the like, in all price ranges, that I liked as much as a straight dedicated 2 Channel amp.