Please help beginner

Welshstar

Hi.

I started with some good two channel stuff, Creek, NAD, etc and although happy it was missing something.

Then i progressed to a good surround system based on Von Schweikert speakers and Pioneer elite electronics

Trouble is the two channel had good detail but no substance somehow, the surround has substance but no detail

Anyways, i recently heard Klipschorns for the first time and was blown away, they were being driven by the entry level Musical Fidelity gear and sounded incredible.

The problem is that I cant afford the Klipschorns so i listened to Cornwall III's and while they are not as great in my room ( 16x16) I believe that they would be almost as good and maybe the klipschorns would be a bit overpowering. So this brings me to the points

1 ) Do the bigger speakers ( Cornwalls, Klpischorns etc ) need a larger room to shine ?

2) Whats the smart used buy ? there seems to be good reports on the Chorus 2, are they in same league as the Cornwalls ?

3) Any other good advice for what to buy ? budget approx $1000-$2000, maybe new cornwalls at a push

Thanks

Alan

Alan

1 ) Do the bigger speakers ( Cornwalls, Klpischorns etc ) need a larger room to shine ?

Most will probably answer "Yes". The Khorns need clear corners, the Cornwalls and LaScalas like to be near corners. Heresys, too if you are considering those.

2) Whats the smart used buy ? there seems to be good reports on the Chorus 2, are they in same league as the Cornwalls ?

The used market for Cornwalls is pretty good. Lots of nice old ones in the $800-1200 range depending on condition.

3) Any other good advice for what to buy ? budget approx $1000-$2000, maybe new cornwalls at a push

Listen to some Heresys before you rule them out (listening to Cornwalls may have spoiled you for Heresys). The Heresys sound very much like the Cornwalls but don't go as deep. Many support them with a sub. They are easier to buy, transport, place in the room, and do well in smaller rooms.

Search the forums - infinite information all about these things in here...

in order for the big boy's to truely shine you need a larger room is what you will hear time and again, however i have used cornwalls and k-horns in smaller rooms than yours with great results, i never found the k-horns overpowering (if memory serves my room was 16 by 11) and i was very happy for awhile of course my listening level is around the 9 or 10 oclock posistion on the dial and i use only tube gear..........................if i had your budget and wanted the best i could get i would look for k-horns you are almost guaranteed to get all your money back if you find they are'nt for you (which i doubt) next i would look for cornwalls if i couldnt find k-horns.......................for presence and substance you just cant go wrong with heritage line........................(oh and i should add i am speaking of buying used with your budget)

Joe

Mine are in a 12' x 12' room and I love them. They have so much presence even at low levels. I listened to some Heresys and they just lacked that kind of undeniable presence that the Cornies have. If you like to listen to music very loudly, you might have a problem with a square and smaller room.

"1 ) Do the bigger speakers ( Cornwalls, Klpischorns etc ) need a larger room to shine ?"

I've heard Khorns in 16X16 to 30X30 , 12X12 to 16X16 rooms and room less than 12X12. I find the larger rooms more breath taking than the others, but the middle sized rooms are still impressive. When you get into 12X9 type rooms your better off with Cornwalls or Heresy's.

"2) Whats the smart used buy ? there seems to be good reports on the Chorus 2, are they in same league as the Cornwalls ?"

While new is always good and encouraged if possible, used deals are out there. Don't assume you can't buy used Khorns for less than 2K. The average price is not the lowest price.

"3) Any other good advice for what to buy ? budget approx $1000-$2000, maybe new cornwalls at a push"

Buy what you like. New Heresy's or used Khorns, LaScala's, Belle's, Cornwalls, etc.

Speaking to the Chorus line, I understand that the Cornwall line are similar component wise. I have the Chorus 1 for awhile now, and am happy with the bass, but understand that the Chorus 2 goes a little lower. The 1 is ported and the 2 has a passive radiator. The "presence" mentioned is larger no doubt somewhat due to the size of the Cornwall vs. the Chorus. I am happy with the Chorus in filling the room with loud, large clear sound, and if you found a deal on them, I cannot see you going too wrong with price range around $500, or less used, good condition. Next could be a Klipch sub. if wanted/needed. HOWEVER, you may take my advice with a grain, cause Chorus are my 1st Klipsch experience. Others here have had Belle, Cornwall, etc.

I want my next buy to be Cornwall,Heresy,etc. just to experience what others here know, that I want to find out.

I am *** NEWBIE TO FORUM ALERT**

• Moderators

All good answers so far, that shows that any of the Heritage could work for you.

Where do you live, their may be some people here you could visit and listen, to pick which ones you like ? Hearing them in different size room would give you the answers you need.

"A speaker is only too big if you can't fit it through the front door "

H3LL, I carried my first Klipschorn down a flight of stairs in one piece before I found out it wouldn't go through the door to my bedroom.

(a whole B style Klipschorn is quite heavy)

Fortunately I then figured out the top came off.