Rolling Stones Concert in Brazil

JJkizak

PBS showed what it was like to prepare for a concert. Absolutely staggering. 500 microphones? 240 tons of speakers? Private body guards? Complete culinary staff? Special 1/4 mile scafold walkway from the Hotel to the stage? Automatic computer controlled lighting for each song? 30 guitars with different tunings? And a live tuner guy? And new strings after every concert? I wonder if they had "butt wipers".

JJK

Welcome to the Big Time! If your band is playing for that many people, it had better be a big show and it had better be as perfect as is possible. It's no time to cheap out on guitar strings, backup instruments or gear.

With a crew that size, it only makes sense to have cooks on staff so people can concentrate on doing their jobs right without having to wonder where to look for some food when they're hungry. It's a matter of scale.

When I competed in 24-hour motorcycle races in the mid-80s, we had a team of 13, including 4 riders plus a spare, mechanics, scorers, a crew chief, and yes, a cook. Food was always available and our thorough preparation showed in our results.

The BIGGER BANG Tour .... 4 DVD set Best Buy only, this week starting Tuesday $24.95 ..... The Texas show is awesome, disc 2 is RIO, and 2 other discs ................. DTS ................ You don't own that yet ?? Also Tom Petty 3 dvd's/1 cd also $24.95 .... alotta' good ones outhere right now !!!!

hey OB--when did you see them? i saw their "farewell" tour back in 1982 at the collesium in los angeles (with j.geils, george thoroughgood, and [barf] prince). personally, i think they should retire--the last couple times i've heard them (superbowl, etc...) it was horrible. i think their day has passed.

I saw them at the Cotton Bowl for the tour that came after tattoo you album was released. Never was a fan until I saw them live. My friends and I were on the floor and exactly under the radius of the cherry picker that jagger rode. We were hearing the stage monitor speakers instaead of the giant stacks and I was impressed with how tight the band was. It must have been 1980 in the fall IIRC.

hey OB--when did you see them?

Saw them for the first time when they opened the New Gillette Stadium on Forty Licks Tour ............ then December 2005, beginning Bigger Bang Tour, small 12,000 seat Pespi Center, in Albany N.Y., basically the last two tours ......... waited many, many years to see them, Worth The Wait .... and NO they shouldn't retire, but the end is coming .................. Awesome Show ............

Hi guys! A little Rolling Stones info for you this morning…

National Geographic (South America) did a documentary about the Brazil concert called “Backstage at Rio. It concentrated mostly on the complexity involved with putting on an event of that type. A little backstage footage with the band is included but it’s mainly about the stage and all other related preparations. (60 minutes)

Another nice bootlegged dvd from the Stones’ Bigger Bang Tour is “Live in Saitama”, a television broadcast concert from Japan in 2006. (2 hrs.+)

Here’s a few other dvd’s from over the years that I’d recommend if you’re interested:

The Complete Ed Sullivan Shows 1964-71

Charlie is My Darling –’65 Irish tour TV documentary

Rock & Roll Circus (released commercially)1968

Gimme Shelter (released commercially) 1969

Ladies & Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones (shown in theatres but not released) 1972 EX!

C*cksucker Blues 1972 (the seamy backside of R&R)

LA ’75 (very watchable audience recording)

Aux Abattours (tv broadcast from Paris) 1976

Hampton ’81 (HBO)

Let’s Spend the Night Together (released commercially) Phoenix 1981

Atlantic City 1989 (HBO)

Stripped (Japan tv special) 1995

Documentaries would include “25X5” and “Let It Bleed” (basically Pt.2 of 25X5)

And speaking of the 1981 (Tattoo You) American Tour, almost the entire tour is available now in soundboard quality (audio only/raw tapes). Many shows just appeared in the last couple of years. The Dallas shows (Oct31/Nov 1) are both available (Halloween is great from “Big D”). Los Angeles too (Oct 9). Other recommended dates are the Philadelphia shows and Buffalo at the very beginning (Sept 26-28), Boulder (Oct 3), Louisville (Nov. 3), Meadowlands (Nov 5/7), Hartford (Nov 10), Cedar Falls (Nov 11), Pontiac (Nov 30/Dec 1), New Orleans (Dec 5), and Kansas City (Dec 14 w/Mick Taylor). 1981 was Ian Stewart’s last tour (he passed away in ’83) and he’s turned up in the mix on several shows. Those are a treat!

As for my all-time favorites and a few boots generally considered to be their best (sound and performance), seek out “Nasty Music” (Brussels/London 1973), the soundboards from Houston, Ft. Worth, and Philadelphia (1972), and “Handsome Girls” (various SB from 1978). The remastered version by Mickboy “Gorgeous Girls” is, to my ears, an upgrade. If you like the Stones, these would be required listening.

Where did I come up with all this? It took a while, oldbuckster. [8-|] I started buying vinyl boots for $5 each way back when. I've still got a couple of crates full. Most of their material (there are many studio outtakes that I didn't list) are available on cd now too. The '72 tour was probably the Stones' strongest and most consistent night in and night out. I have everything actually, with only about 6 or 8 shows not in circulation. They're perfomances were excellent throughout the Stones Touring Party (STP) as it was refered to at the time. "Philadelphia Special" (TSP-050), "Philadelphia Special II" (TSP-060), "Keep Your Motor Running" (VGP-243), and "Unreleased Decca LP (STO-003) are a few titles I'd watch for. Additional audience recordings I like include Mobile, Tuscaloosa, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, and the NYC show at Madison Square Garden (can't recall the title at the moment/Jagger's birthday show).

oldbuckster,

I do like other types of music. We ran a local record store (remember vinyl?) back in the late 70's & 80's. It was a blessing to be exposed to basically the entire catalog for so long. The Stones were a band I liked early on and I couldn't resist adding titles. Let me know if you ever want to expand your collection. I'd be happy to do a b&p sometime.

On the subject of studio outtakes, a couple of extreme good ones are:

Beat, Beat, Beat (BBC 1963-1965) and The Chess Sessions (June 1964 Chicago). I'm partial to the early stuff and these are equal to anything they've ever recorded. Stones rule! [:#] I'm out!