What a great problem to have.

BogusMalone

When I was a young teenager (early 70's) my Uncle bought this killer sound system from Custom Audio in Little Rock. At that time in his life he had a huge room at the back of his house for said soundsytem. I don't remember all of the model numbers of everything but here goes a try, 1 set Khorns, 1 set LaScalas for rear speakers and 1 Belle that I think was a center speaker on the rear wall. For amplification he had a McIntosh preamp, power amp and tuner. When we last talked I asked if all the McIntosh stuff was tube driven and his response was of course. He also had a Nakamichi tape deck and a B&O turntable. Nice stuff for sure. I used to kid him that he had to will all of that gear to me when he passed on. Because of that request I have been his off and on tech support guy for nearly 35 years. Lately it been things like putting the batteries in the remote correctly or reseting his dishnetwork reciever [;)]

Well he hasn't passed on, thank goodness. But, he has moved into a much smaller space (a mobile home) and he has told me to come and get what he has left of his stereo gear which is all of the McIntosh stuff and the Khorns. He is planning on going to some modern (small) new stuff.

I am so excited about the prospect of having a great 2 channel system. But, I am concerened about the room I have available for the Khorns. I know for sure I'll have to build at least one false corner if not 2. My wife at first really didn't like the idea of such huge speakers but she is warming up to it. I'm also kind of concerned about how to arrange this new (to me) stuff with my current (cheap surround) stuff and still keep the wife happy. My thought is to keep the current stuff as it is and just add the 2 channel system to what's already there.

Does anyone else have a 2 channel system co-existing in the same room with a surrond system? Like I said in the title of this post, What a great problem to have!!!!

Welcome to the forums. It is good to have another central arkansas forum memeber.

I find the klipschorns while they may be large take up very little floor space. I had Belles before and pulled out from the wall they took up abit of space. Now I have klipschorns and they are nicely tucked into the corner. There is an interesting thread about building false backs on the khorns which is interesting. Post a pic when you have everything setup.

As far as the wife goes creating a reality distortion field is very helpful......

I run 2 systems in the same room, share the same Sub woofer, and CD player, 2 channel analog tubes, and Home Theatre 5.1 digital ........... no problems, well not yet anyway, going to look at Cornwalls today, could be trouble if I buy them, the little woman will be upset with me, but she'll get ovet it ......... EH !!!!!!!!!

I run 2 systems in the same room, share the same Sub woofer, and CD player, 2 channel analog tubes, and Home Theatre 5.1 digital ........... no problems, well not yet anyway, going to look at Cornwalls today, could be trouble if I buy them, the little woman will be upset with me, but she'll get ovet it ......... EH !!!!!!!!!

OB,

You must work on creating a reality distortion field. Once perfected you can bring anything home and she'll love it.

Co-existing, yes, but I would not recommend trying to make the Khorns the front speakers in the surround sound system. It's just too much. Go with two separate systems and you'll like both much better.

Greg

I agree to keep the systems completely separate. I cannot imagine K Horns liking the digital nasties of HT very much.

I would put a pair of Reference line bookshelve speakers on top of the K horns. And get NOS Valves to rebuild the Mc Intosh tube gear.[;)]

BogusMalone,

I run two stereo systems in the same room that share one CD player. I wire up the first stereo system normally. I then run RCA cables from the tape output of the first stereo to the AUX input of the second stereo's preamplifier. This allows me to be able to adjust volume of each stereo system separately because both stereos have their own preamplifier. You can do the same thing with your two complete systems consisting of a surround system and a separate two channel stereo system. Most newer type stereos have to be on for their tape output to be live, so you have to have them on to feed the the second system. Most older stereo system's tape output is hot even with them off, so you don't have to have them on for the second system to operate off them. My first stereo is vintage, so I can just listen to my second stereo without even turning on the first system. If I ran my second stereo system which is a modern one as the first or main stereo system it would have to be on for me to listen to the second one. Sometimes I listen to just one or the other one, but mostly both at the same time. Congratulations on your stereo system that you're receiving which is very nice indeed. You must be very excited. Enjoy.
[<:o)]

BogusMalone,

I run two stereo systems in the same room that share one CD player. I wire up the first stereo system normally. I then run RCA cables from the tape output of the first stereo to the AUX input of the second stereo's preamplifier. This allows me to be able to adjust volume of each stereo system separately because both stereos have their own preamplifier. You can do the same thing with your two complete systems consisting of a surround system and a separate two channel stereo system. Most newer type stereos have to be on for their tape output to be live, so you have to have them on to feed the the second system. Most older stereo system's tape output is hot even with them off, so you don't have to have them on for the second system to operate off them. My first stereo is vintage, so I can just listen to my second stereo without even turning on the first system. If I ran my second stereo system which is a modern one as the first or main stereo system it would have to be on for me to listen to the second one. Sometimes I listen to just one or the other one, but mostly both at the same time. Congratulations on your stereo system that you're receiving which is very nice indeed. You must be very excited. Enjoy.
Party!!!

I get it. Thanks for the input.

Oh my gosh. I picked up the equipment this weekend and I don't think the TV has been on since. I have never owned anything close to this quality of audio gear. I love it.

I found my uncle's memory of the specs of the gear kind of clouded but it is some really nice stuff just the same. The amp isn't tube but it is a Mcintosh 2205 that is in pristine condition. The preamp is a Mcintosh C32 and the FM tuner is a M78. I can't beleive that this gear has held up so well over the years. Not one switch is flakey. Non of the pots are scratchy. The only flaw I noticed was the front plate of the 2205 was scratched around the headphone jack and you have to look hard to see it.

The khorns are from 1973 and everything is original. My uncle did say that one of the woofers was blown when the stuff was new and replaced with one purchased from Klipsch but He has had several sets of Klipsch and he very well could be mistaken. I didn't open up the bass bin to look. The speakers have a few chips around the edges but are in nice condition. They looked good enough that the wife didn't complain. The crossovers ar AA.

I never owned stereo gear that influnced the music choices like this system does. I find myself looking thru my collection for music with strings and horns because they sound so sweet thru this system. One of the first things my Wife and I listend to critically was The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed with the London Festival Orchestra. I have not listened to that in a long time but it sure seems like I was hearing things I hadn't before.

That sweet spot that everyone talks about is the truth. The system sounds good thru out the house but get in that "spot" and I swear it sounds like music is coming from directly in front of you as well as all around. I guess that is the sound stage that I've read about here for so long. I'm sure glad that I finally get to experience that in my own house.

I set this system up on Friday night and the wife and I listened for awhile and I mentioned that I wanted to look into a CD player with SACD or DVDA capabilities and of course she was like "we don't need to spend the money" etc. We listened for a while longer before turning in. The next morning while I'm still in bed she brings in the Best Buy sale sheet from the paper and says "do they have any of those players on sale"? I think I got a keeper.