Backing up your movie collection

Rsoxfan

I've never had a disc go bad. If I ever get into backups, I will get a very large media server with a mirroring Raid configuration, so if any one drive dies nothing is lost. I also think it possible that solid state storage (Flash memory, etc) could replace optical media in five years or so, so instead of a disc we may have collections of SD cards.

I've been using a media PC for a couple of years now and have all of my DVD's on the hard drive. I find I watch more movies and listen to more CD's than I did previously. It was actually the physical storage of the DVD's that pushed me to building the media PC.

I use a variety of software to copy the DVD's but AnyDVD is probably used more often.

I don't use RAID because of the volume of space I use (over 2TB) and although it would be time consuming if I lost a drive, I can always rebuild the drive from the original DVD's.

I had tried to back up a movie or some great scenes in movies but never succeeded. Maybe I did not use the right software. It's all because of copyright. Now I have a problem with Xbox360 game. The disk may have a scratch and can't read. It sucks and the $50 disk does not work.