"PICKY FEST '08": Thanks!

picky

Thanks to those who attended and to those who tried to attend. Closing remarks and photos begin on page 4>

Our event ran May 2nd, 3rd & 4th when it ended at 5pm.

Unconfirmed Attendees: Confirmed Atendees:

• dwilawyer IndyKlipschFan
  • Parrot Rocky Ricocoa (AKA: ColterPhoto1)
  • NOS Valves kevinmi
  • Ballylongford j-malotky
  • DizRotus motorcitym3 & guest
  • ClaudeJ1

PLANNED SCHEDULE:

Friday, May 2nd:

• Arrival time: Any time after 10 am.
  • Theater demos all afternoon.
  • We'll throw ideas together for dinner. We're pretty flexible. If weather permits, we can do some BBQ out on the deck.
  • After dinner: Watch moves, Concert Videos and listen to music till whenever. Lots of BSing, too!
Saturday, May 3rd:
  • Arrival time: Any time after 10 am.
  • 9 am: Overnight guests get homemade omelets by Picky. (I only use the finest ingredients: Aged Cheddar Cheese and Premium Semiconductors.)
  • 10:30-ish am: I'll head for the Audio Karma event in Livonia. They usually serve a nice lunch there.
  • 10:30 am - 4 pm: Verna and Ms. Rose will be at the house to welcome any arrivals. The home theater will be closed during this time and there are no planned activities.
  • 4 pm: The Home Theater is back open. I will return home to greet arrivals and drop-ins at the house for the evening. Those of you who wish to remain behind at the AK Audio Fest until it closes for the day at 6:30 pm are welcome to do so. We'll probably throw our money together and have pizzas delivered; that worked to eveyone's satisfaction last year because pizza keeps so it doesn't matter when folks show up for dinner. If somebody has food they wish to grill the Barbie will be available, weather permitting.
  • Evening: Watch more moves, Concert Videos and listen to music till whenever. Even MORE BSing!
Sunday, May 4th:
  • Arrival time for drop-ins: Any time after 12 Noon until 5 pm (when the Open House ends).
  • Overnight guests get homemade Bloody Mary’s. Just kidding! Maybe we'll go out for breakfast someplace cheap nearby.
  • Theater Demos, etc. all day.
  • 5 pm: Farewell and goodbyes - See you in Indy!

Background: Last in year March while the Audiokarma Audio Fest '07 was going on here in nearby Southfield, Michigan, Verna and I hosted a weekend open house for fellow Klipsch forum members and we had an absolute blast! Friday, Saturday and Sunday we had various friends from the forum over such as dkp, former member Paul Parrot, and NOS Valves. We also had two members (IndyKlipschFan and Dr. Who) spend part of the weekend with us overnight. Verna and I have already discussed this year's Audio Fest and I asked her if she minded if we do that again and she said that sounded great!

This year's Audiokarma Audio Fest '08 has been moved to Livonia, Michigan (only a 20-minute drive from our house and 10 minutes from Audio Flynn’s) and it takes place two months later than last year's on Saturday, May 3rd from 9 am - 6:30 pm and Sunday, May 4th from 9 am - 5 pm. I'd like to invite fellow Klipsch forum members who plan to attend to please pay us a visit at our open house that weekend. Our open house will start on Friday morning (May 2nd) like last year's. I will probably be attending the Audio Fest myself during Saturday afternoon only from about 11 am until 3 or 4 pm. The remainder of the time I will be at the house, which is when it will be available for you to drop by. I'd like to have emails from folks who are seriously interested in attending our open house so we may be prepared. We usually run the open house pretty late on Friday and Saturday nights. I think we finally got to bed at 5:30 am in the morning both nights and I am not kidding!

Since the Audio Fest is so much later this year, that means it may even be warm enough for us to do some BBQing out on the deck and fire up the Heresy IIIs and EICO Tube Amp out in the garage; something we could not do last year in the dead of winter. I realize that the Klipsch Pilgrimage is only a month later, but heck; this would give us all something to talk about there! Verna and I hope to see you, as it was so much fun last year! -Glenn

For more information on the Audiokarma Audio Fest '08, follow this link: http://www.akfest.com/ Audiokarma Main site: http://audiokarma.org/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great picky, just in time to start the playoffs? I have a cousin in Hoffman Estates which I would try to stay with if i could be there (never met her husband, who is also into sound, with dahlquists and maybe klipsch too). Hope to be able to make your event anyway, too far in advance to know. Is Hoffman Estates close? I would love to document your theater for my own purposes too....(btw, verna is my late mom's name, i like her already)

Maybe we need to bring sleeping bags?? Or can I call the bed upstairs first? This is a good one day event guys... Lots to see though, do not rush it. Some of it is a geek fest, that said, we all fit in! It is great to see what turns others on audio wise and hear explanations or ideas to what you can do with this and that.

As far as Glenn and his wife they are incredible hosts.. It would be very very hard NOT to enjoy his Home theater and friendship for the day! Besides just hangin out swapping stories!

Thanks you guys for all of the kind words! I do realize I am 4 months ahead of the actual event but knowing the way our schedules all wind up completely filled by May, Verna and I wanted to throw this out there before you are all booked up.

oldtimer: Ah yes: The NHL Playoffs! There might actually be a playoff game in hi-def offered on TV that weekend. We'll have to keep it in mind and check the schedule. In fact, we could run the playoff game in hi-def up in the living room on the 50" plasma while others down in the theater, listen to music or watch a concert or movie DVD. MULTI-TASKING!! I don't know where "Hoffman Estates" is. Is it the name of a city? We're located just south of Detroit a few miles in an area refered to as "Downriver". Our city is Allen Park, Michigan with zip code 48101. We're only 10 miles via expressway from the hotel in Southfield where the Audiokarma Audio Fest '08 will be held. It would be wonderful if you could make the trip! BY the way, I have a softspot in my heart for Dalquists, especially DQ-10s! Great speakers!

oldbuckster: Hey, buddy! Thanks for asking: Ms. Rose (my mom, for those who don't know) is doing pretty well, especially for 88. She working with the doctors on a few circulation issues in both legs but she still drives nearly every day to go shopping at K-Mart or do some walking and the mall to browse. She also takes her girlfriend out for lunch occasionally because Rose is the only one who can still drive among her friends (and she's the eldest!). They usually end up at a local Irish pub a block away after lunch to share a pitcher of beer! Now, THAT'S LIVING!! She still loves a "stiff drink" (as she calls them) with me at home once in a while of Jim Beam bourbon and 7-up.

Customsteve01: Dude, if you and Caroline can make it, that would be too cool for words! Let us know, man and we'll leave the light on for ya! Roger: You might have to wrestle Steve for that bed upstairs! LOLOL

IndyKlipschFan: Hey, Roger: If this means you're coming out, that's awesome! The rest of you who haven't met Roger are in for a real treat; he knows music and sound! It's delightfull to spend time listening critically to music and watching movies with very dynamic soundtracks with him. He's able to identify slight nuances in the mix with ease and describe them in detail intelligently. The man never sleeps: We were up with him (and Doctor Who one night) until 5:30 in the morning watching concerts both nights! Roger is totally comitted to the hobby and he and his wife Cindy are gracious and outstanding hosts themselves. I hope you can come old, buddy! Any chance Cindy might make it? Roger makes a good point: Sleeping bags might not be a bad idea; we do have a queen-sized air matress too!

Pinky,

It is really nice of you again this year to invite everyone over. I would love to make it this year, I wrote down the dates and hope nothing comes up. I tried to make it last year but other things came up and wasn't able to. [:(]

If I am able to make I will try to bring the gf along. She seen the pictures last year of your setup and was surprised that it was someones house.

James

Yeah, the Audokarma Audio Fest '08 is a great reason alone just to come this way as there is so much to see and hear there and there are loads of "fellow audio-geeks" and their families there so it's like one, great big fellowship of folks with common interests and worlds of knowledge. Some of the gear you'll see is way over-the-top, such as a $32,000 2-channel tube amp! In other rooms, you might see a perfectly restored pair of the same speakers you lusted-over in high school, but couldn't afford to buy back then. You never know what you'll see and the prizes handed out during the hourly drawings are well worth the price of admission. I won a very nice DiscDoctor Vinyl Record Cleaning System and I was there for only 3 hours. I understand there are even more rooms that will be set up this year.

As for our open house, we welcome all comers who are Klipsch forum members and those you wish to bring along. Please keep in mind that our house is quite tiny (850 sq ft), and our theater can accommodate 9 (comfortably) seated or 12 standing so sometimes demos in the theater are conducted in "shifts", which tends to work out very well (even better if it's nice and warm out of doors because then we can use the deck and back yard, too). This is because while one group is taking in the demo, the rest are all elsewhere conversing about the hobby or just getting acquainted. This year, we'll be able to offer viewing of Blu-Ray selections on our new 50" 1080p Panasonic plasma in our living room on the first floor. It seats 7 comfortably. We currently have a small B&W, Onkyo Integra, integrated amp, Dolby ProLogic system in there, but hope to upgrade the receiver to a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, 5.1 TrueHD and dtsHD by May.

As for accommodations, I wish we had lots of room to offer more people the chance to stay, but we have one guestroom on the second floor and we have a queen-sized air bed we place on the living room floor. Roger (Indy) actually found one of our theater recliners mighty comfy one night last year! -Seriously! But there are plenty of hotel accommodations near the house and of course in and around the hotel that the Audio Fest is held at in Southfield. If we seem to be getting a lot of requests from folks to come by the open house who need accommodations, I will gladly post a list of the more recommended places to stay and dine, plus we have some outstanding local attractions within minutes of our house such as the Henry Ford IMAX theater, which I consider the benchmark of ultimate theater experience! We hope to see you here! -Glenn

New this year! The 50" Panasonic 1080p Plasma in our living room.....

post-10177-13819360128818_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to make it this year (last semester and all that), but just wanted to chime in and say Picky (and family) are wonderful hosts. That HT of his in the basement ain't "too shabby" either [;)] I think I had more fun at Picky's last year than I had at AK Fest actually...

Aw shucks, Doc! I wish it weren't so, but with school and all I understand. It was a blast having you and the rest of the guys over last year. We sure had some fun didn't we? Please remember that you are always welcome here, man! Thanks! -Glenn

• Moderators

Maybe we need to bring sleeping bags?? Or can I call the bed upstairs first? This is a good one day event guys... Lots to see though, do not rush it. Some of it is a geek fest, that said, we all fit in! It is great to see what turns others on audio wise and hear explanations or ideas to what you can do with this and that.

As far as Glenn and his wife they are incredible hosts.. It would be very very hard NOT to enjoy his Home theater and friendship for the day! Besides just hangin out swapping stories!

Roger,

I'm really glad to see that you are planning on going. I was about 90% sure that I was going to go up with Luther, but now that I see that you are going I will seal the deal.

I will be bringing Miss Rose's bottle of Booker's that I never managed to get sent off to her.

Travis

I have been contemplating it this year. Scott has mentioned it in the past, so he may be game too.

Last year, I was thinking of driving down through Chicago, then taking the high speed ferry on the way back home. I hate driving through Chicago.

My last two vacations heading south east to Tennessee and Florida, I drove southwest on 43 to 39 to avoid the "Bear Pit" [:)]. Its 90 extra miles to when you head back twords Indy, that would not help going to Detroit but would be an option for Indy this summer.

JM

I would really enjoy attending the Auduikarma event but May is not a good month for me to get away. We’re right in the middle of the tennis season and I have matches scheduled every Saturday in the month.

John – that southern route isn’t bad. If I can’t time the pass through Chicago and I’m going southeast, I take it.

boomac: Perhaps, you can stop by the house another time if you're in the area? In addition to Saturday, we'll be open on that Friday and Sunday as well. Maybe we'll see you again in Indy this June if you are going. Take care. -Glenn

• 4 weeks later...