JubScala?

Islander

Mike have you ever shorted(ie: equilivant to turning a sensitivity control all the way down on many amplifiers) the input of an amplifier to measure (or listen to) it's noise floor? If you have and measured (or heard) an increase in the noise floor you have a faulty amplifier or a crappy design..!

The effective dynamic range of your upstream device is 0 in this particular scenario.....as you slowly increase the input trim, the dynamic range will grow until you've hit the full dynamic range of the upstream device.

Believe me Mike I have never been in a room with the DX38, QSC amps cranked up all the way to insane levels...!!!

Well I'm pretty sure you were in the room with me when listening to music through the dx38 feeding some QSC amps with their input trim maxed out....it certainly wasn't 145dB in the room, but that's how the gain structure was configured. The noise floor of the DSP was easily audible from the back of the room....

.but seriously, there's plenty of modern music with a lot of dynamic range.

Agreed, but note that it takes a fair bit of gain for folks like me to hear all passages and dynamics of most of those type of recordings - way past the point of being able to hold a casual conversation without using American Sign Language (ASL).

At some point, even ASL would get tough due to the probable onset of "hand volume" levels along the way. [:)]

Chris [H]

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here heard or transformed thier la scalas by reinforcing the bass bin and/or turning it around in a corner? When making a jub-scala it would be easy to just turn around the bass bin and still have the 402 horn facing forward.

I'd be interested in seeing how one would stiffin up the bass bin. Does anyone remember a step by step intruction post to do this?

the Ashley Protea 3.6SP looks good to fit the bill for three 2 way speakers up front in one unit.

It has 24bit processing and even a usb and rs232 jacks.

Can anyone compare and contrast this to the dx-38 that I have? If there is no major advantage to the dx-38 I may just buy one of these.

Mark (Mark1101) Is the man to send a PM to. He's got one, had both and I think, sold the Dx.

He's gone on enough ab out the Ashley that I'm looking to get one down the road. I think JC has also had (has?) one. I thought the model number began with a 4 and not a 3 so perhaps I'm missing something here.

The one Mark has is a 4 in and 8 out as I recall? THAT is something I found useful. You could do three 2-ways across the front and still have 2 channels left for subs.

60dB no flipn' way modern erra CD more like 3dB dinamic range

lol...but seriously, there's plenty of modern music with a lot of dynamic range. One of my favorite albums is pushing 60dB of crest factor on one song....

Sorry butt your wrong because most music on cD is sevearley limited in DR (Diynammic range) one accepton to prove rule maybe but go ahed and post screen-shot of your 6o-Db song for fun

HAS ANYONE ADDITTON A PATRICAN VS A "JUBSCALA"?

Given the small number of people who have the JubeScala in their homes (probably less than 6?) I'd speculate the answer to be no?

I'd think the JubeScala would have one advantage over the Patrician in that it's a 2-way speaker. It's been my experience that losing a crossover (or two?) has increased the coherency of the sound and allowed this coherency to happen much closer to the speaker (better in room sound IMHO)

60dB no flipn' way modern erra CD more like 3dB dinamic range

lol...but seriously, there's plenty of modern music with a lot of dynamic range. One of my favorite albums is pushing 60dB of crest factor on one song....

Sorry butt your wrong because most music on cD is sevearley limited in DR (Diynammic range) one accepton to prove rule maybe but go ahed and post screen-shot of your 6o-Db song for fun

There is more than "one exception to the rule" when it comes to dynamic range on CDs. In fact, I'm regularly recording material with more than 30dB of crest factor.

Anyways, here's a quick snapshot showing a few seconds of rainsticks followed by a large drum transient on Nightwish's "Creek Mary's Blood" from Track 5 on the "Once" album.

The peak hits -2dBFS, and the RMS level during the intro is -60dBFS. Also note that the section after the first drum hit has 20dB of crest. It gets a bit thicker later in the song, but then it expands back out towards the end.

post-10350-13819634506588_thumb.jpg

Mark (Mark1101) Is the man to send a PM to. He's got one, had both and I think, sold the Dx.

He's gone on enough ab out the Ashley that I'm looking to get one down the road. I think JC has also had (has?) one. I thought the model number began with a 4 and not a 3 so perhaps I'm missing something here.

The one Mark has is a 4 in and 8 out as I recall? THAT is something I found useful. You could do three 2-ways across the front and still have 2 channels left for subs.

I don't have any of the Ashly digital products. I've heard Mark1101's Ashly processor and it is nice.

I own the below Ashly Analog products...

XR-1001 and XR-2001 and XR-4001 Crossovers

PQX-572 Parametric Equalizer

GQX-3102 2-Channel 31-Band Equalizer

jc

SIX?????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kind of say it all

And what exactly is that telling us?

is this exparimental KLIPSCH because how can they stay in bussiness selling SIX also a// ifi\i\\ its' good it will sell more then SIX