Heritage HT recommendations

Oblio

Your budget and room size will dictate the speaker choices.

Options are Klipschorn's, Belle's, La Scala's, Cornwalls, and Heresy's. I have tried numerous configurations and they were all good.

Present configuration is listed below. At one point it was all horn loaded with Klipschorn's and Belle's in the rear, I recently downsized and still have the same level of performance.

Your room size, like a lot of people have said, will determine maybe what size of Heritage you can use.

The side surrounds, and possibly the backs, are not as important as your 3 speakers up front which are the MOST important... (followed by a great sub system to compliment your fronts!)

If you want to keep the Timbre very close, I suggest a La Scala between your K horns. That way, the mid range horn and tweeter will be the same.

In a perfect world you would have the three up front all the same... [:D]

The side surrounds, and possibly the backs, are not as important as your 3 speakers up front which are the MOST important... (followed by a great sub system to compliment your fronts!)

If you want to keep the Timbre very close, I suggest a La Scala between your K horns. That way, the mid range horn and tweeter will be the same.

I agree
with Roger... most commercial theaters use similar setups (smaller effect
speakers versus mains) and therefore soundtracks are frequently mixed in consequence. And given dialog (and vocals), keeping the
timber the same across the front is ideal... [:)]

A big consideration is how much room you have for your HT. I have Khorns, center La Scala and Cornwall side and rear effects. I couldn't be happier. I would highly recommend a La Scala or Belle if you can't have a Khorn center. The center channel, as you know is critical to a good HT experience.

"Are Belles and La Scala the same as far as Mid/Hi ? Belles would be
an easier sell, and while cosmetics is not as important to me, I do
think they look better with the Khorns."

No. The Belle has a smaller mid horn. By itself, or in a stereo pair, the Belle it is a terrific speaker.

But next to a La Scala or k horn... You will notice a difference! (LaScala and K horn are alike mids n highs!)

Like Indy said, the very reason that I chose a La Scala over the Belle at center was the larger K-400/K-401 horn that is identical to that of the Klipschorn. I am sure it effects projection and overall dispersion over the considerably shorter and narrower K-500/K-501. They are both are good choices but I wanted the larger horn since the Center produces the majority of the soundrtack dialogue.

Like Indy said, the very reason that I chose a La Scala over the Belle at center was the larger K-400/K-401 horn that is identical to that of the Klipschorn. I am sure it effects projection and overall dispersion over the considerably shorter and narrower K-500/K-501. They are both are good choices but I wanted the larger horn since the Center produces the majority of the soundrtack dialogue.

Good to know, thanks Frzninvt/Indy

I forgot that LS II was a bit less industrial looking than the LS so cosmetics are less of an issue. We are thinking of eventually moving our Audio/HT room to the kids 'play room', ~18x23, and I verified the Khorns will (just barely) fit through the door.

If budget allows, I can also support the mothership by purchasing new.

My room is about 17 by 40. It includes den, study, dining area, and kitchen. I only use the front third for music and HT. Because my couch is low and I have a 26" 20 yr old Sony, that even Katrina could not kill, I use an Academy center. I have K horns up front, paired subs, and can use LaScala's or Heresy's (which currently are right on top of the LS) in the rear. In my room and for my ears, unless you like true 5 ch audio, the LSs in the rear are overkill, so I actually only hook up the Heresy's in the rear. (But the LSs won't fit in the bedroom and I won't sell them). I have never put a LS between the K horns, because if I put my TV on top of it, the TV would be too high for me. I think the sound would likely be grand though. Keep the height of your TV in mind. I also live on the floor for hours at a time. So again, a low TV makes more sense for me. If you have small kids, a high TV may be safe, but they may not be able to see it from the floor.

I agree that for HT the center is very important. I use an Academy. It sounds fine and fits on top of my TV, while only mildly crushing and warping the TV top. Nothing heavier would work for me. Nothing bigger is adequately shielded-although I am told you could use roofers steel from Home Depot to shield the TV if you used Heresys under the TV as a center. That would still raise my TV.

Remeber, your folded horn speakers are directional. Unless you have a projection TV with a semitransparent screen for the horn speakers to shoot thru or unless your TV height is high a single LS or Belle could cause some issues. You want the horns to fire to your ear level. Could the other posters reply to this (unless they just have high TVs).

Just my 2 cents.

Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for a Chorus I or II laying on its side, Under your television. you'll still have your low seat postion, and it will act similarly to a Cornwall. As far as shielding, there are two routes. #1. Klipsch sells "Bucking Magnets". Unfortunately, the Chorus mid is so deep, it won't fit just by gluing it to the back of the magnet, therefore it must be disassembled and glued on the inside to work. #2 visit www.lessemf.com and explore the options that they suggest. Sometimes placing a plain old cookie sheet placed between the speaker and t.v. is sufficient.

My room is about 17 by 40. It includes den, study, dining area, and kitchen. I only use the front third for music and HT. Because my couch is low and I have a 26" 20 yr old Sony, that even Katrina could not kill, I use an Academy center. I have K horns up front, paired subs, and can use LaScala's or Heresy's (which currently are right on top of the LS) in the rear. In my room and for my ears, unless you like true 5 ch audio, the LSs in the rear are overkill, so I actually only hook up the Heresy's in the rear. (But the LSs won't fit in the bedroom and I won't sell them). I have never put a LS between the K horns, because if I put my TV on top of it, the TV would be too high for me. I think the sound would likely be grand though. Keep the height of your TV in mind. I also live on the floor for hours at a time. So again, a low TV makes more sense for me. If you have small kids, a high TV may be safe, but they may not be able to see it from the floor.

I agree that for HT the center is very important. I use an Academy. It sounds fine and fits on top of my TV, while only mildly crushing and warping the TV top. Nothing heavier would work for me. Nothing bigger is adequately shielded-although I am told you could use roofers steel from Home Depot to shield the TV if you used Heresys under the TV as a center. That would still raise my TV.

Remeber, your folded horn speakers are directional. Unless you have a projection TV with a semitransparent screen for the horn speakers to shoot thru or unless your TV height is high a single LS or Belle could cause some issues. You want the horns to fire to your ear level. Could the other posters reply to this (unless they just have high TVs).

Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure what to say except that both the Belle and the La Scala - both at just under 36 inches in height - are just not that tall so that one would get the viewing impression that the TV is sitting "too high." My son often plays in the basement and/or watches TV from the floor since he has been two years old (he's now six), and he has not once complained that he cannot see the TV adequately sitting on top of my center Belle. IMHO, you should try a La Scala as a center for a week (with the 26 incher on top) and see if you like it. After all, its not that some are proposing putting a TV on top of a Khorn, a Jubilee or my tower-like modded Khorns. If you have already tried it, then ignore me, I've been known to babble.

Sonically, a Belle and/or a vertical Cornwall worked better for me as a center as opposed to putting large Klipsch centers on top of TVs (been there and did that with a RC7, KLF-C7, RC 35, RC 3).

Then again, maybe I'm wrong..........it's been known to happen..............

Carl.

P.S. LaScalas are "overkill" in the rear? Don't tell my modded Belles that ......they might take offense