Best Grammy "real moment" in my opinion..

IndyKlipschFan

Pat, good point about the stones for taking care of problems in between tours, but i don't think you can generalize that today's generation is any worse than those of the past in terms of self destruction.

You're right, oldtimer, today's generation isn't any worse in terms of ratio of burnouts to functional stoners, but the burnouts seem to get more press than they used to. But I guess that's the nature of news. The thousands of airplanes that land safely every day don't get mentioned, but the one that crashes is on the front page.

There are more TV channels now and more celebrity magazines with space to fill, so we're hearing about celebrities' lives in greater and greater detail all the time, which seems to be stressing out and ruining some of those very celebrities that keep them in business...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's not to love?

Well, here in Canada we have Bif Naked, a wild-looking singer, actress and poet who lives the straight edge lifestyle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge), without alcohol and drugs. She's very talented and popular.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bif_Naked

And a video here:

She rides a tank downtown and seems to have a voodoo spell on a rich poser ex-boyfriend in this one:

post-23736-1381936089372_thumb.jpg

One thing I may note is from what I seen on the news the band looked/sounded competent.

Yup, tight band. I was disappointed that their original drummer wasn't with them. His replacement wasn't quite pulling it off, just not the right feel or sound.

...and Peg Bundy was hot, that's all I'm sayin'.

Gotta love a girl who's song was in "Ready to Rumble" hahahahahahaha

Seen her before..

It always amazes me as someone with that many tatts and pircings that is straight edge??? It just doesn't seem right?

I always ask questions like this. "Has she always been?" "You mean people do that sober?" "Wow, what was your house or childhood like, that got you to look like this?" LOL

With Amy it is well documented.

Here I just do not know if it is a cleaver marketing gimmic or not? Kinda like the very pretty HS girl that goes grunge and you go in your heart ahh what a shame... Everyone her whole life looks at her she hates it.. so she goes to the "nth" extreem and gonna get even more looks now? The "I am a beauty queen do not hate me cause I am beautiful." Now leave me alone, as I dye my hair all black, and try to fit in with this other crowd... As I throw my life down the toilet!

It always amazes me as someone with that many tatts and pircings that is straight edge??? It just doesn't seem right?

I always ask questions like this. "Has she always been?" "You mean people do that sober?" "Wow, what was your house or childhood like, that got you to look like this?" LOL

With Amy it is well documented.

Here I just do not know if it is a cleaver marketing gimmic or not? Kinda like the very pretty HS girl that goes grunge and you go in your heart ahh what a shame... Everyone her whole life looks at her she hates it.. so she goes to the "nth" extreem and gonna get even more looks now? The "I am a beauty queen do not hate me cause I am beautiful." Now leave me alone, as I dye my hair all black, and try to fit in with this other crowd... As I throw my life down the toilet!

Yeah, all that ink seems crazy to me, but it's really popular with the younger people. I'm a photographer, among other things, and it's really hard to find models around here without tattoos and piercings, often in places I could never justify.

As for Bif, she seems like the real deal. She's been singing since the early '90s, with several bands, until she started her own. She's been consistent in her look and has won a Juno Award for her music (sort of like a Grammy in Canada). She recently married a sportswriter in a traditional Indian ceremony. Bif was born in India, the love child of private school teenagers who put her up for adoption and she was raised by the American missionaries who adopted her.

As for whether she was a beauty queen who went to the dark side for pose value, it's more like the other way around. According to her bio:

Another major event in Bif's life occurred in 1995. After years of rock n' roll self-abuse, Bif made the commitment to go straight edge, the punk rock lifestyle that eschews drugs, drink, meat, and promiscuous carnal activities.

"It was after yet another bad relationship with a boy," she explains, "knowing full well that my judgment was always impaired and I was making stupid decisions. Because of my addictive personality, I couldn't just go on the wagon. It had to be a lifestyle change.

It had to be something that was almost a religion. I swore I wouldn't get into another destructive relationship, I quit drinking and quit smoking cigarettes and eating red meat. I also felt that I suddenly had a social responsibility, because the kids that were coming to my gigs were really young.

I realized that I couldn't be a f****** ******* in public any more! With each passing year my convictions have grown stronger and I've never looked back."

(That said, Bif does veer from the strict straight edge orthodoxy in that she refuses - REFUSES! - to give up sex.)

Her change in lifestyle only served to increase the power and the passion of Bif's live performances. A dynamic and irrepressible presence both on-and-off-stage, Bif and her band have rocked clubs and theaters across North America, as well as such exotic locales as Berlin, Paris, London, Milan, Barcelona, Madrid, Stockholm, and Helsinki.

Oh well, if you are going to simply pick another addiction, it may as well be a well-behaved one!

How long is this going to go on?

If you like Amy , listen to her and stay glued to TMZ to see what dysfunctional behavior she is up too.

If you don't, then why not go back to what you were doing when the topic about a performer that you don't care about came up?

Everything is so difficult on this forum! LOL!

[;)]

Get over it folks...the plane flies!

What's not to love?

If ya DIG that you should see some of the skanks in a small town up the road from me.Some of them actually don't look too bad compared to this one.

Also Peg Bundy was/is a beauty queen compared to this one.

Saw Miss Amy W. on MHD tonight by accident. My wife, who has little knowledge of new music, liked her band and hated her after 2 songs. I do not get the beauty in voice or looks.

Tight band, girl could not enounciate an order at the McDonalds drive through. Allot better lady singers out there. I think it was Mindy Smith I recently heard doing a cover of Dolly's "Jolene". Great song and a solid cover by Ms Smith.

Cindi Lauper was next to Miley Cyrus...aka Hanna Montanna saying to her... "This will be you next year!!" And it should be.

Miss Cyrus probably sold more cd's than 99% of the room. I know, I know, sales not everything...... but at least with the billboard awards it is all based on sales... And what the public liked!

Cindi Lauper was next to Miley Cyrus...aka Hanna Montanna saying to her... "This will be you next year!!" And it should be.

Now I don't care who ya are... that's funny right thur...

Apples and Oranges ....................... Cyndi Lauper was a whole different audience AGE wise !!!! Hanna Montana is 10 to mid teens, quite a different array of fans ........ Hanna's concerts sell out because the parent(s) go with their kids .......... Cyndi was a trend setter, Hanna is a trend !!!!!!!!

Hanna Montana is 10 to mid teens, quite a different array of fans ........ Hanna's concerts sell out because the parent(s) go with their kids ..........

She is 15. I've only heard her do a duet with her dad, on a song released into the country music market. If she doesn't screw up her life, she will continue to do quite well.

Soundbound, IndyKlipschFan, kuisis, Blvdre, thebes, and other Amy Winehouse aficionados,

Below is link to a very early clip you may not have seen. I hope the jazz fans will have a look at this--if the link is still working!:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0

For those who don't appreciate her talent, I won't try to convert you. I never even heard her music until a few months ago and she is my favorite singer/songwriter to come along in a considerable time.

Her performance at the Grammys was not her best, but considering the circumstances I was glad she made it through the performance without totally blowing it.

Two recommendations:

1. If you don't already have Amy's great CD Back to Black, your local Best Buy may still have copies of a special version of the CD with a bonus DVD included. It is marked $13.99, but as of yesterday they were blowing them out for $7.99. The bar code number is 602517488274 so you can call and ask your local store if they have any copies and have them hold one for you. This CD was to be available for a limited time back in November, so it has been removed from the Best Buy website but individual stores may still have them. The bonus DVD has two programs. The first one is a worthless MTV-type documentary about Amy's career. But the second program is a live performance of her singing four songs at Toronto's Orange Lounge studio with an acoustic guitar player. It is excellent and you can view it at the link below in a lower resolution to decide if you like the performance:

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/Amy+Winehouse/concerts/orange/Articles/AmyWinehouse.htm?isfa=1

2. There is a great live DVD of Amy with her band last year at Sheperd's Bush Empire theater in London, called "I Told You I was Trouble - Amy Winehouse Live in London". You can view a lower resolution version at the link below:

http://msninconcert.msn.com/music/AmyWinehouse/en-ca/artist.aspx

Check it out!

Another Amy Fan,

triceratops

There was one specific picture I was looking for, and cannot seem to find... but it showed the de-evolution of Amy over time.

This "after & before" comparison will just have to do for now. Really - drugs and deviant lifestyles have NO impact at all. I believe this is less than 2 years in time.

Posted Image