And away we go ......... to getting DCR JUBILEES!!!

Travis In Austin

Congratulations Travis, I could'nt be happier for you. Enjoy man!

With the wood they are being constructed with, I would give some serious consideration to Teak Oil. See if Roy or someone could send you a couple scraps from the cut for testing purposes. I have a sneaking suspicion that would be the ticket.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Congratulations Travis, I could'nt be happier for you. Enjoy man!

With the wood they are being constructed with, I would give some serious consideration to Teak Oil. See if Roy or someone could send you a couple scraps from the cut for testing purposes. I have a sneaking suspicion that would be the ticket.

Jorjen,

Good to hear from you, it has been awhile. Actually, I was thinking about teakoil and in fact there is a teakoil/tung oil blend that is on the market. Roy sent me 4 6" x 6" double sided "off fall" (that's what they call scrap at Klipsch) so teak and teak/tung will for sure be in the sample mix.

Travis

• Moderators

How are the raw plywood edges going to get trimed out?

Excellent question. Luther is thinking either black, to add some contrast, precut matching veneer in 3/4' strips, or a contrasting wood veeneer. We are thinking, going strictly from the photos at this point, that black will make an excellent contrast. However, it is obviously going to depend on how the bass bins end up.

I also need to pick a color for the 402 horns, they are "raw" which means they are going to look similar to frosted glass. They will be painted in Sherman Williams Automotive Laq., by a professional automotive finisher. This is the same finish that Klipsh uses to paint them black, but I will be going with some sort of dark hued earth tone.

Travis

• Moderators
Today 4 giant boxes arrived at my house. However, there must be a mistake. On the side of each box is a large logo saying "Klipsch Professional." I know there must be some mistake because I'm only an amateur. Is someone else out there expecting a delivery from Klipsch? Did someone get my speakers by mistake? There they sit in the garage for now until we can figure out what the mixup is, or, find a "Professional" to set them up.
More to follow.
Travis

• Moderators

Forget filling the holes, cut the butt-ugly flanges off those monsters before painting.

Greg

Greg,

I might end up sending them to you to see what you can do it terms of dressing them out. I am also considering having Luther's friend in Burbank, CA, with a giant CNC machine, make a pair of solid wood 402 horns, identical to the original (yes including the bumps, and yes I have a license). The price is quite, quite expensive to do that, however. But I don't need to tell you any of that. I am having trouble coming up with ideas on how to finish them out other then to paint them with high quality paint.

If you try and trim them in wood it seems like you are just accenting their massive size.

Travis

• Moderators

I think those are mine Travis....I got a package today without the professional marking... Wink

That's cool that they gave you unpainted 402's....how's your painter dude going to get all the way inside the throat?

Ahhh Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew there was a mistake, they should have sent the professional stuff to the professional and not to me.

As far as paint inside the throat, I don't have any idea. That's why I have a painter dude, so he can worry about it and figure it out. Then Luther makes sure the Painter dude did in fact really figured it out. However, I understand it is a very high end autobody place so I would figure they have a long specialized sprayer to reach these types of areas. If not, I guess there is always Krylon, no runs no drips no errors.

Travis

If you try and trim them in wood it seems like you are just accenting their massive size.

You don't have to send them to me, I have a pair to use as templates and can send you a "kit".

I don't know how you get away from the massive size. It is what it is. But cutting the flanges off will really make quite a difference in the size. That would lower the overall height of the horn too. I think that could be done on a table saw pretty easily.

I think if you had wood trim around the 402 that was painted the same color as the grill cloth, it would not accent the size any more than it is.

I was thinking that the stretchy grill cloth would work to make a "sock" that would fit around the front of the horn, then a wood trim with a groove cut in it that would fit over the edge of the flange with four screws to hold it together. Pretty simple.

Black grill cloth and a semi-transparent black stain on a nice hardwood? Maybe use the same stain/hardwood for the front edge trim of the bass bins?

Greg

Ya know Travis... just make sure you got the K69's hanging on the back and not the K1132's!

Seems those production guys have slipped 1132's out at least two times, instead of swapping out for the K69.

Sneaky bunch they are... then again...you've probably met their ringleader......I hear he's a good dancer...

post-15072-13819437805986_thumb.gif

• Moderators

K9's? I would hope they wouldn't want to put K9's in those boxes. I just checked in garage and I am sure I mush hace the 1132's or whatever you called them because I couldn't hear any barking, movement or other sounds from inside the boxes so they could not possibly contain K9's.

My gosh, I thought you were a dog lover. Do I need to come up there and rescue Tubby? Or is this you trying to pull my leg or some play on words associated with Woofers. Woofers, K9's, get it?

Please clarify your previous post for a non-proffesional.

thanks

Travis