And away we go ......... to getting DCR JUBILEES!!!

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I am getting them. I was going to order them in raw birch and then get Wardsweb to have them done in real piano laq black, but then I got the idea of having them done in exotic plywood. Through Roy's efforts, he was able to determine that African Mahogny (Sapele) plywood was available and that he was going to try and get everyone at the factory to sign on to it. (Apparently it takes a several signatures to get approval on something custom). So as of today, everything has been okee dokeed and I am on the way to getting DCR Jubilees in raw African Mahogny.

I will be getting the 402's raw,unpainted, having the holes filled in and then painted in high grade auto laq paint. Not sure on the color of that at this point.

I am going with the DX-38 crossover for right now and see where that goes. I am also looking at swhtching out the K69 dirvers with the TAD Be drivers.

I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO OIL THE RAW SAPELE WITH WHEN THEY GET HERE. At least I am pretty sure I want to do an oil finish.

Once we get everything set up I am going to schedule a Klipsch/Jub Fest at the house.

I am erally excited for their arrival. I have had the oppurtunity to hear them several times in Hope, in very controled situations, in exactly the configuration I will have in my media room and can't wait to hear them in place.

Travis

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travis,

COngrats! Great you could work it out. They will be beautiful, I am sure. The oil finish will really bring out whatever grain pattern there is with the sapele. Glad to hear someone is going to paint the horns another color. Makes the Oris horns beautiful... I'm sure it will work for yours.

Bruce

Can't help with the oiled finish, but let me know when you are having the get together. I'll fly out for the weekend! Am also curious about your driver choice. I thought the K69 was pretty crucial for the overall combination. Correct me if I'm wrong. Congrats, btw, I am so jealous! [:D]

Mike

Congratulations Travis,

I am still in the decision making process for the mid-horns or the full monty.

What does DCR in "DCR Jubilees" stand for?

Will the raw African Mahogany be used all around or just on the front panel piece?

Please include pictures of the finished speaker.

I may have to make a trip to your Klipsch/Jub Fest.

Wrinkles

• Moderators

Use the same blo that klipsch has always used. And next time get something that's not African, there are beautiful sustainable hardwoods right here in the USA. Other than that, enjoy! and have a party we can all attend and enjoy them too.

Interesting that you mentioned the wood, my first choice was American Black Walnut, however, my only choice was the Sapele. Roy had to go to great lengths to even get me that, so I am quite pleased I had an option other then regular plywood.

I will indeed have a party, and you are on top o the list.

Travis

• Moderators

Mike,

The K69 is crucial for the whole thing. That is the driver that Roy has done all of the cruves and studys with. The TAD is something that Roy saw that might be an improvement, wider FR, different cross-over point that might work better in this 2 way configuration. The verdict is still way out on that. I am not very technical, and I am the last person to ask on the particulars, but I have heard those drivers in other speakers and they are pretty spectacular.

I will for sure coordinate with you on being able to come out for Austin Jub Fest, and I will try to see if we can get a pair of TAD drivers to play with along with DX 38 cross over settings as well.

Glad to hear you are coming out.

Travis

• Moderators

Congratulations Travis,

I am still in the decision making process for the mid-horns or the full monty.

What does DCR in "DCR Jubilees" stand for?

Will the raw African Mahogany be used all around or just on the front panel piece?

Please include pictures of the finished speaker.

I may have to make a trip to your Klipsch/Jub Fest.

Wrinkles

the entire bass bin is made out of Sapele plywood. The outside is A-1 finish grade.

My Aunt lives in Cleburn and my parents live in Burleson.

You better make it!

I have a couple of Questions.

1. ) What are they going to cost you? - This seems to be somewhat of a mystery here.

2.) Are they available in other Wood Finishes ?

I will be flying down from Minnesota as soon as you get them! - Please have the spare room ready and the Fridge stocked with Cold Ones![:D]

• Moderators

DCR is a bit of an inside joke, and sort of goes along with my personality. I don't want to make anyone mad in Indy, but when I read some comments made about the Jub in connection with a review of the Pallidum, it caused me to decide to go with the Jubs.

I will give you the "R" though, it stands for Rogue

Travis

1. ) What are they going to cost you? - This seems to be somewhat of a mystery here.

Cut-throat... the pricing for 'standard black' and probably 'unfinished' is "about $7,000"

We use that number because that is the number Klipsch wanted us to use. Meaning... the odds are, if you live on the mainland, that you will probably be able to buy them a touch cheaper however, shipping might be different from Hope to Tennessee, verses Hope to Washington State or NY.

This gives them a little wiggle room and allows us to use an approximate number that SHOULD be close enough for conversation. Then, there is NO surprise for you (cost wise) and if there is, it might be a pleaseant one (though small) verses a negative one.

2.) Are they available in other Wood Finishes ?

My understanding here is (and I don't mean to speak for Klipsch) they can make the Jubilee in most of their standard woods for an upcharge. I do not know how much. Remember, these are special orders and with shipping expenses involved (price quoted you is with any shipping included to your DOOR) anyway, the net cost might be different for me, you & someone in NY state... so they asked us to kindly use the "about $7,000" as that should be close enough to minimize any surprise for anyone. With Travis getting a fancy wood, it was yet another upcharge that I speculate was above what their stocked choices might have been.

If you (or anyone) is actually serious about ordering a pair then pick your finish, contact Roy and he will research how much it (your choice of wood) might cost, delivered to your door. He will then, ask you to not specifically state what your cost was because again, that might not apply for someone else and it can ONLY create issues. Don't forget... Roy is helping us get these through non-standard channels and the more we respect his desire to get them to us under his conditions, the better it will be for everyone.

[Y]

Well Travis, Congratulations again. It looks like it is coming together nicely!

Let me burden you with several questions.

Are you having aftermarket grills fabricated? What portions of the cabinet would they cover?

Is the K402 still going to be nicely painted some interesting color & finish? Or are they going into a cabinet?

Good Luck,

-Tom