And away we go ......... to getting DCR JUBILEES!!!

Travis In Austin

Sounds like they do things a bit different in Hope then they do up in Indy. It only cost me 12 bushels of blueberries, 6 racks of ribs, 4 gallons of some fancy ice cream I never heard of, and some sort of new fangled side viewing fish finder. A bargain in my opinion.

Probably could have traded all that (and saved the cash) for 3 pair of HPM 100's and had twice the sound... [*-)]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

" Sounds like they do things a bit different in Hope then they do up in Indy. It only cost me 12 bushels of blueberries, 6 racks of ribs, 4 gallons of some fancy ice cream I never heard of, and some sort of new fangled side viewing fish finder. A bargain in my opinion.

Travis "

Not bad negotiations Roy, considering you are going against a veteran Lawyer ! [;)]

I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO OIL THE RAW SAPELE WITH WHEN THEY GET HERE. At least I am pretty sure I want to do an oil finish. Travis

Travis when you're down here we can discuss this some more and I can show you some of your options. Each has a different look and feel. It is very subjective, so the final decision is yours.

cask05.. I have heard the big ole stove pipe speakers...

They are HUGE in any situation, and not as good as you might hope.. hehehehehe

You know,

I've read in several places that the

Lowther-based full range horns don't sound that good--reading opinions written on this side of the Atlantic. I can see that with the

horn above, the horn-loaded lf backwave in that design would have a fierce delay

problem that cannot be corrected in that configuration. I also assume

that IMD is big for that single driver trying to pump out mf without

benefit of horn loading. I also assume that those designs really don't

enjoy the kind of dynamic range of multi-driver horn-loaded systems,

e.g. Jubilee, Khorn, Lascala, etc.

It is evident that function

doesn't follow form in acoustics and I think that the full-range

driver idea doesn't work well in that light. If you try to correct for

the not-enough-driver-area issue by using multiple full-range drivers that

are identical in order to get more driver area, then, voila, guess

what you get? And we all know about those type of speakers. (I won't

speak that name in this forum.)

As Nam P. Suh, formerly of MIT, and inventor of Axiomatic Design might say: "...the use of a single driver system will result in a multiply-coupled system design...", and that isn't good karma.

Chris

• Moderators

Travis and Wrinkles, My dad lives in Cleburne and I am there all the time. Way too much lately. I have Aunts, Uncles and cousins scattered all in that area. Travis, everytime I drive thru Waco I think about getting a hold of you but it seems I am always in a rush to get to either Cleburne ot Houston on my way thru. I should be going up again in mid March, I will give you a shout when it gets closer. Steve

Steve, I sure hope you know the next time you are planning to be out this way. You are welcome anytime.

Travis

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting them. I was going to order them in raw birch and then get Wardsweb to have them done in real piano laq black, but then I got the idea of having them done in exotic plywood. Through Roy's efforts, he was able to determine that African Mahogny (Sapele) plywood was available and that he was going to try and get everyone at the factory to sign on to it. (Apparently it takes a several signatures to get approval on something custom). So as of today, everything has been okee dokeed and I am on the way to getting DCR Jubilees in raw African Mahogny.

I will be getting the 402's raw,unpainted, having the holes filled in and then painted in high grade auto laq paint. Not sure on the color of that at this point.

I am going with the DX-38 crossover for right now and see where that goes. I am also looking at swhtching out the K69 dirvers with the TAD Be drivers.

I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO OIL THE RAW SAPELE WITH WHEN THEY GET HERE. At least I am pretty sure I want to do an oil finish.

Once we get everything set up I am going to schedule a Klipsch/Jub Fest at the house.

I am really excited for their arrival. I have had the opportunity to hear them several times in Hope, in very controlled situations, in exactly the configuration I will have in my media room and can't wait to hear them in place.

Travis

Hey Travis,

Seen any new Jubs lately?

Chris

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

I am getting them. I was going to order them in raw birch and then get Wardsweb to have them done in real piano laq black, but then I got the idea of having them done in exotic plywood. Through Roy's efforts, he was able to determine that African Mahogny (Sapele) plywood was available and that he was going to try and get everyone at the factory to sign on to it. (Apparently it takes a several signatures to get approval on something custom). So as of today, everything has been okee dokeed and I am on the way to getting DCR Jubilees in raw African Mahogny.

I will be getting the 402's raw,unpainted, having the holes filled in and then painted in high grade auto laq paint. Not sure on the color of that at this point.

I am going with the DX-38 crossover for right now and see where that goes. I am also looking at swhtching out the K69 dirvers with the TAD Be drivers.

I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO OIL THE RAW SAPELE WITH WHEN THEY GET HERE. At least I am pretty sure I want to do an oil finish.

Once we get everything set up I am going to schedule a Klipsch/Jub Fest at the house.

I am really excited for their arrival. I have had the opportunity to hear them several times in Hope, in very controlled situations, in exactly the configuration I will have in my media room and can't wait to hear them in place.

Travis

Hey Travis,

Seen any new Jubs lately?

Chris

Why Chris,

Yes I have as a matter of fact. I know it is about 10 month later, but I have in fact been advised that the Elves in Hope have been mightely busy his past month. Exotic plywood Jubes turned out to be a major undertaking for Roy. He came up with a slightly new design which adds cross bracing (seen in the attached photos) which resulted in a new cut list. I believe approximately 3 or 4 prototypes had to be made and tested. These are not prototypes in the sense that something had to be made from scratch, tested, tossed out, redesigned, etc. It was more a case of tweeking the assembly order and instructions. As a result Roy was able to shave several hours off of the build time, yet has a more rigid bass bin.

The bad news about this is that it was such a major headache that, per Roy, this will be the only set they will make in exotic plywood. However, the GOOD news is that folks who want an exotic wood center panel can now get that as an option from the factory. Kudret's were the first pair with this option and served as the final "test pair" before mine were built.

The pictures attached show the bass bins that are in raw African Mahogony (Sapele). At this point they were getting ready to be send for finish sanding and then final assembly. I will receive them in raw form I will finish them with the help of Luther (wardsweb). Roy sent me several scrap pieces of the wood so what we can do some testing with various oils and finishes to see what my wife Kelly likes the best. (Did you know there is an official word for scrap wood not used from the 4 x 8 sheets? I sure as heck didn't know there was).

I will keep you up to date on the progress, when they arrive, and photos of the finishing.

More to follow later, in the meantime, here are a few photos of DCR-KHJ-LF-AMR 001 and 002 at the factory in Hope.

Travis

post-15134-13819437469802_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

You sure are patient to wait a year ! ! ! They say good things come to those who wait though and I betcha the new more rigid design will sound several % better.

Patient, not at all. I told Roy to take his time on them and not worry about rushing them through. I knew all of the headaches and time it was going to take on his part to even get everyone at Klipsch to sign off on them. I am quite sure I owe Chuck a bottle on something in this regard. I knew he was really going out on a limb to get them done and I also knew going in that it was going to take a considerable amount of time.

On the sound part, my understanding is that the sound could NOT be different with the new design and cut list. It apparently has a particualr voicing that cannot be messed with and so the new bins with the bracing had to be tested in the chamber to make sure there was no difference in terms of the sound. However, the changes have, I believe, resulted in lower resonance which is for sure a plus.

I don't know all of the details about the changes, in terms of construction, differences, etc. Roy is in a much better position to address the specifics. I have tried to keep up with the differences in general, but a lot has slipped by.

Travis

Travis,

Congrats. These are very nice. It's also very cool that Roy has reduced factory build time and stiffened the cab.

It's not really bad news that exotic plywood will not be offered for the build, but as an option for the front panel is still a nice net plus for Klipsch.

Kudos to Roy!