Any amateur astronomers out there?

rocket-andy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what I'm seeing is Mars, the sky charts fini linked to have north and south reversed.

The relative positioning seems about right for Mars on the chart labeled "LOOKING SOUTH." I know it was dark, but I was definitely looking north (rather than south).

James

I meant relative position on the hemispheric chart - not in relation to the constellations on the "looking south" chart. Of course, I'm looking about 2 hours later. Could it be that the "looking south" sky has rotated into a nearly overhead northern view by that time?

I think I can pick out Mars, and the object I'm looking at is ~10 degrees higher and ~30 degrees further to the northeast. Guess it would help if I knew my constellations, but it looks to me like there are two red/orange objects in a line (Mars & something else).

James

I think Mars is the planet in question. It has just past opposition and also the closest to Earth's orbit.

We're building a home in the hinterlands of NW Arkansas and the night sky is gorgeous. Soon as the house is complete, it's a roll-off roof observatory for my other "money pit" hobby astronomy. The Albino Chinchilla farm went broke. How wuz I supposed to know they were blind? The sombitches had to have ADA compliant cages and seeing-eye mice.

Gregg, I spent a few nights near Mt. Shasta ten years ago---the skies were unreal.

Lee

First let me say...Amy, YOU ARE HOT!!!!! Any woman that enjoys astronomy is hot to me.!

I was thinking Mars when I read the thread, or Beatlguise (sp) as well.

I have several Telescopes and the latest I purchased is a 6" Achro. I have been looking for a very long time for a 10" or 12" Schmid (sp).

In our new home, where ever that may be, I'm going to build an observitory with power etc. Nothing fancy, a shed more or less with a retractable roof sort of thing.

However, as of late, I have enjoyed just a pair of binoculars. Pretty easy to use ;)

Oh yea, Amy, I like the new picture!

The entire flannj family standing out in our driveway, all of the outside lights turned off.

You can hear many of our neighbors are doing the same.

A crystal clear, windless night.

The lunar eclipse is absolutely stunning.

Did I mention it is zero degrees out?

Bunch of knuckleheads we are.

Nice shot, Michael! Well exposed with detail showing.

I was able to watch the live eclipse out the east-facing window beside my monitor and watch the simulated eclipse on my Starry Nights program on the monitor at the same time. That's the second time that's happened in the last three or four years.

Yeah I was kind of bummed, we had fairly clear skies here up to about 9:50. Then right before the full eclipse the clouds took over[:o]. I did see it at about the time Colterphoto took his pic by the look of it. Just wish I could have seen the whole show.[:(]

• Moderators

I stood outside in about 15 degrees temp to watch the dern thing turn brown. That was totally cool. And I left my camera at work [:'(]

When I went back inside, I heard Steven shouting from his room (when I thought he was in bed asleep), "Mommy mommy, the moon is diiiirty!"

Watched pretty much the whole eclipse from my back yard last night. We live outside of town in the country...in the dark....and can see all the stars perfectly. It's pretty dramatic. Only occasional thin wispy clouds drifting by...and about 50F outside in northeast Georgia. Played Grateful Dead show from Winterland 10/22/78 while the whole thing happened. What was interesting is that the moon reappeared from a different angle than it disappeared. From our vantage point it went away first from the lower left progressing toward upper right....then reappeared from the bottom /slightly lower right progressing toward the top / upper left.

Looks like Colter's fine photo was taken during the reappearance