Need to Listen to Lascala II's

PYRO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since no one else has answered, I will...

If you are looking at new purchases of CW III's, KH's and maybe LS II's, you should first be congratulated! It's new sales that puts someone to work at the factory.

If that is so, then you are already in the price and size range and should also consider the Jubilee. Asthetics aside, the Jubilee will offer you some considerable sonic competition against the others and possibly, for similar (or even less) money, depending on what you are looking at.

I don't know where you are in the Maryland area, the closest Jubilees to you are probably Henry's who lives in Westhampton, Massachusetts (at least I suppose he's closest to you?) Other owners are in Dayton Oh, Knoxville and Michigan.

I've no idea where some LaScala II's are unless you want to trek down to the Atlanta area and see if we can get you hooked up with JC.

I can't believe there isn't La Scala II's in the Maryland area that members would let him listen to .... Jubes are few and far between, and Easthampton is quite a hike away for PYRO ..... Henry is atleast 2 hours from me ... no one in lower Pennsylvania, or New Jersey ? Give this thread a day or two to work, and see what happens .......... or worst solution, come to North Country New York, spend the night, and we'll take a ride to Henry's place,and we can both check out those Ugly Jubilee's .... just another option to think about ....... he's got La Scala's also !!!!!!

he's got La Scala's also !!!!!!

I think you're right! That would also allow you to hear a JubeScala with the 402 on top of a LaScala bass bin (sounds killer). Someone could buy some beater LaScalas, sell the top drivers and spend maybe $2K for a pair of 402's on top.

I'm starting a rumor that Craig is buying dinner for anyone that stops by Henry's place...[A]

Since no one else has answered, I will...

If you are looking at new purchases of CW III's, KH's and maybe LS II's, you should first be congratulated! It's new sales that puts someone to work at the factory.

If that is so, then you are already in the price and size range and should also consider the Jubilee. Asthetics aside, the Jubilee will offer you some considerable sonic competition against the others and possibly, for similar (or even less) money, depending on what you are looking at.

I don't know where you are in the Maryland area, the closest Jubilees to you are probably Henry's who lives in Westhampton, Massachusetts (at least I suppose he's closest to you?) Other owners are in Dayton Oh, Knoxville and Michigan.

I've no idea where some LaScala II's are unless you want to trek down to the Atlanta area and see if we can get you hooked up with JC.

How did I know what this post would say before reading a word.....

Anyone have Lascala II'2 in Maryland area that I could listen to.

I've listen to the CWIII's and Khorns need to hear the Lascala II's before making my final decision

I haven't heard of any LaScala II's here in MD, no Heritage dealers around that I know of, so I'm not too surprised no one has stepped forward.

I heard them a couple of times in Hope, right next to C/W III's and Heresey III's in the same room. I thought the La's were easily the best of that group. Very linear and integrated, IMO in a class by themselves compared with the other two. As I'm sure you know, its low-frequency frequency response is a little limited, which bothers some depending on what they listen to. I agreed with a lot of the Stereophile review of a few months ago.

Hope that helps -- Larry

Not going into what I thought of each speaker but I went to a dealership that carries the heritage line.

So I listened to Hersey III, CWIII, and Khorn. Kinda have an idea of what I like.

CWIII was nice but to my ears the bass was a little muddy.

Khorns hit the sweet spot. But I won't have two good corners in my new place and building one is not an option.

So thats why I want to hear some LSII's.

I listen to music like: Pink Floyd, Van Halen, The Police, U2, Counting Crows, Natalie Merchant, Metallica, Dio, Black Sabbbath, Judas Priest etc.

Khorns hit the sweet spot. But I won't have two good corners in my new place and building one is not an option.

So thats why I want to hear some LSII's.

At the risk of sharing more of Craig's love... that's another reason why you should trek down to Atlanta & stop by Knoxville on the way.

You could hear the LSII's and the Jubilees (which were originally intendned to be the Klipschorn II AND don't have to be in a corner like the standard Khorn)

Food for thought

(ok Craig... share me some more luv [;)])

If you thought the Bass on the CW3 was muddy, I doubt you will like the La Scala's .... if you don't have corners, God it kills me to write this, Coytee makes a valid point ............... and What were they powering those speakers with ? Listening in a showroom is really not the best place to judge a speaker, the room where they are to be used is the best location ..............

If you pay cash, you can probably get a pair of LaScala II's for right around $5000, which isn't much more than the Jubilee LF sections alone cost -- and then you need about another $3.5K for the top sections and active filtering. I'd say a fairly wide gulf exists between LaScala II's and Jubilees as far a price is concerned. The LaScala II sounds great, but of course you don't get Stereophile Class A if you suck.

You guys are killing me....... :)

The Amp and preamp were Rotel RT-1080 and A Rotel 2 channel preamp not sure of the model but it was new to DEMO the CWIII's. As for my impressions of the bass it was really noticable on Pink Floyd, The wall - Hey You. If you know the song it has some real nice transitions between soft acoustic to a hard guitar and bass drum. On the CWIII's the Bass ended (transistiioned) muddy. On the Khorn with a Anthem tube preamp?? and one of Rotel's new d amps the Khorn seemed to have better bass, tighter and more punch which I really liked.

How big are the Jubilees? Dimensions.....

Thanks,

Rob

Pyro, I don't know if this will help you out at all but I have Origanal Las Scalas with AA cross overs that have been recapped. I live just west of Richmond, VA. you are more than welcome to come by my place. I am sure we can gather enough info to be able to come up with what the major difference is sonicly from the origanals to the LSII. I know they used 3/4 MDF as oposed to the 1/2 inch plywood. I know this was to reduce the sonic resenance of the bass bin. I am not sure what differance the cross over has tho. If you have a perticular amp you might bring it with you. The Lascalas ar in my workshop but we can move them around in the barn or outside where I think they sound the best. Steve sorry everything is so run together but my work computer makes it this way.

This difference between the bass of a LS vs a LS II isn't subtle. Big improvement.

The LS II's look good if that is your thing.

The Jubilee bass bin goes lower than the LS II but is "somewhat" corner dependent. I found that if I moved my late jub clones out of the corner, the low end was disappearing. Other guys here may disagree with me but that is my experience. All around the jub bass bin is better than the LS II.

However, there will be a significant difference of that Big K402 vs the top section of the LS II. The K402 is the most impressive product by Klipsch right now IMO. I'm not a salesman.

jc