I thought that you would be a perfect lover
You seemed so full of sweetness at the start
But like a big red rose that's made of paper
There isn't any sweetness in your heart
Paper Roses
Paper Roses
Oh how real those roses seem to be
But they're only imitation like your imitation love for me

O.K., well I always thought it was a misusage, and is actually "bold-faced lie" -- impudent -- the liar doesn't care if you he know he's lying or not.

Found this with google -- kind of interesting.

"No, I'm afraid it actually just means, "That's a lie," with the emphasis on the word to denote the seriousness of the transgression. The reason it's misspoken as "bald-faced lie" is because it almost never appears written out in print. Just like the phrases "with a capital," or "period," it refers to a way of printing the word, and therefore is almost never seen written out."

Is this related to the various useages of - "I could care less," vs. "I couldn't care less?"

Looks like it. All of the online dictionaries have entries for both, which appear to mean basically the same thing. Found a link to someone who brought up the fact that the English say, "bare-faced lie" -- so I ran a search on that -- where I found this hilarious thread:

http://xrlq.com/2005/07/14/bare-faced-oops/

The link in that thread takes you to an Etymology site, where you'll find:

My colleagues and I are having an argument about the phrase bald-faced lie. Some insist it should logically be bold-faced lie. Which is correct and where does the phrase originate?

The examples you cite are actually variations/corruptions of the original barefaced lie. Bare here means `brazen, bold.' However, in the 16th century, one source notes, barefaced meant `beardless,' a condition at that time considered bold to the point of audaciousness in adult men. So the metaphorical sense of `bold' perhaps came to be applied in barefaced lie. Based upon these two explanations, the variations bald-faced lie and bold-faced lie both make perfect sense.

Jeez, all this discussion as to just what kind of liar I am...

OTOH, methinks Master Thebes protestoth too loudly. Am I the only one who has noticed that the Twins are NOT OF THIS WORLD?

Dave

PS - One might also add the current "...reaching closure" to the original "...reaching cloture."

Jeez, all this discussion as to just what kind of liar I am...

OTOH, methinks Master Thebes protestoth too loudly. Am I the only one who has noticed that the Twins are NOT OF THIS WORLD?

Dave

This is Outrageous!! That is an out-right Bold Faced Lie.

The Twins Are Real…… YOU ARE A LIAR!!

Am I the only one who has noticed that the Twins are NOT OF THIS WORLD?

Dave

Dave, are you sure you didn't mean OUT OF THIS WORLD?

I am sure you are not casting aspersions on my veracity, although I must add that someone claiming that Disco is an alien-inspired government conspiracy, is not to be fully trusted.

Wounded in pride, I think I'll just slink off and console myself wtih the Electric Light Orchestra, "Discovery" lp, and thenThe Ohio Players.

Oh and as to the bald and bold faced liar conundrum perhaps the question will ultimately turn on weather Dave has a beard or not.

But first I must pose a question. Who invented the "Niagara Falls" comedy routine (slowly I turned, step by step..)?:

A: Abbott and Costello

B: The Three Stooges

Thebes asked:

" But first I must pose a question. Who invented the "Niagara Falls" comedy routine (slowly I turned, step by step..)?:

B: The Three Stooges "

This is certainly an odd coincidence. I just had this very discussion/argument with a coworker.

Here is another imponderable regarding our mother tongue:

Why is it that the words biweekly, bimonthly, and biannual can mean either twice each week or once every two weeks, twice a month or once every two months, or twice each year or once every two years?

But first I must pose a question. Who invented the "Niagara Falls" comedy routine (slowly I turned, step by step..)?:

B: The Three Stooges

I remember tht "Niagara Falls" routine from the Stooges but alas that does not mean that they invented it.

Now back to my Bony-M marathon.

Daddy, Daddy Cooooool

Why is it that the words biweekly, bimonthly, and biannual can mean either twice each week or once every two weeks, twice a month or once every two months, or twice each year or once every two years?

Not sure about it, but biannual (also biennial) should mean once every two years as applied to payments, or a plants bloom cycle. Semiannual would mean twice a year. You want semiannual payments or compounding compared to biannual, right? There should also be distinctions for the other time periods mentioned.