Do you buy used or new cars?

Macho Nacho

Well they're not terribly fast or sexy, but I'm a practical kind of guy and Honda Accord fits me nicely. I always buy new and from the same salesman at the same dealership. I get all my maintenance there and they take good care of me. My mechanic knows me by name. They're cheap to keep, get great mileage, good resale price even after many miles. I get the manual transmission though, so I can pretend I'm driving a sports car.

My history is that a new Accord lasts me 10 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first. I buy em new, follow the recommended maintenance instructions, and only once have been stranded (when I lost an alternator on the '85). Then I sell it myself, and haggle over price on the new one.

Last time it took me exactly 2 minutes to buy a car. To salesman Jerry - 'Accord EX- what colors does it come in?' ... 'fine, I'll take the blue one (whips out checkbook)'. Jerry says 'great, I'll have a manual shipped up here for you, it'll be here Tuesday, lets do lunch'. That was about it.

The Audi looks nice, but isn't maintenance costly?

Colterphoto has the best advice I've read here yet.

I am an ASE Certified Master Tech and have owned my own auto repair business for 30 years.

We always recommend either Honda or Toyota to our customers for the best value & reliabilty.

We work on all cars, but my techs would cringe if an Audi pulled in, and yes, they are generally high maintenance cars.

Wade

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With apologies to thread starter:

Mr tech, my landcruiser is approaching 125k. Anything I should be watchful of?

Arky, the Landcruiser has always been an excellent vehicle. Very rugged, sturdy & reliable.

It's life expectancy can be well over 200k miles.

As with all vehicles, regular maintenance (particularly oil changes) will determine the longevity of the vehicle.
PS. For more info on this check out this article I wrote for my website:
http://www.certifiedautorepair.com/Rant%2011-07-03.html

As far as your Landcruiser @125k it would depend on what has been done on it thus far.

As long as your are following your maintenance schedule you should be fine.

Most manufacturers have a 30/60/90k type schedule, with oil changes in between, and after 90k it just repeats.

From experience, radiator replacements are pretty common at your mileage if it hasn't been done already.

Wade

To piggyback on Colter's love affair with the Honda Accord I have a '94 EX with 192K+ miles and it still runs fabulous, has plenty of power and is fun to drive especially with the 5 speed. It is also stellar in the winter months (digs right in with the Hakkapelitas) and starts no problem when the temps dip to -20 degrees. The old gal is rusting in the rear quarters on each side and dripping a little oil (keeps the underbody lubed :-)) even though I had all the seals, timing belt, water pump and valve cover gasket done about a year and a half ago. It burns a little oil but not bad, performance parts to make the car a little zippier are cheap I got a cold air intake w/K&N filter, strut tower braces front and rear, poly end links and sway bar bushings, and a cat back exhaust and she will keep right up with a 3 series BMW. The ZR rated tires in the summer keep her glued to the road and on and off ramps are a blast!

I have a chance to pick up a 1995 BMW 525i with 101K ($5500 or so) and in nice shape but I am reluctant to do so because of the fear of the maintenance costs. BMW does make gorgeous driving machines but the little Honda's are tough to beat. Maybe I'll get a Acura CL instead since it has a little more prestige.

A guy at work is selling a '96 Accord EX from Georgia (no rust) with only 85K and well cared for which I know I can get another 5 years out of minimum with proper upkeep for like $4250. Decisions, decisions.

I have a chance to pick up a 1995 BMW 525i with 101K ($5500 or so) and in nice shape but I am reluctant to do so because of the fear of the maintenance costs. BMW does make gorgeous driving machines but the little Honda's are tough to beat. Maybe I'll get a Acura CL instead since it has a little more prestige.

A guy at work is selling a '96 Accord EX from Georgia (no rust) with only 85K and well cared for which I know I can get another 5 years out of minimum with proper upkeep for like $4250. Decisions, decisions.

Go with the Acura or the Accord, BMW's are one of the most expensive cars there are to maintain & repair.

If anyone wants to ask me any car related questions off forum, there is both an email link & a website link in my profile.

Wade

These days buying a used car can be a crapshoot.... You dont know if it came up from (Katrina) flood area.

You know, I found a pair of lascalas I wanted in Louisianna but passed for that reason. Fair or not I didn't want to take the risk.

After years of emptying my wallet into GM and Ford vehicles, replacing engines and transmissions, I bought a new 05 Accord 4cyl, as loaded as you can get it, save navigation as I have a portable unit to move between vehicles. It just ticked by 50k the other day - would have had a lot more if I hadn't put 18k on the motorcycle last year - and I had to replace the rear brake pads. No... not the fronts - those are still fine for at least another 10 to 15k... just the rears.

Todays imports are not the same as the econoboxes of the 80s and early 90s. The little engine in the Accord 4cyl is pretty strong and fun when you mash your foot down, handles extremely well, is roomy enough for 5, tons of trunk space, heated leather seats, moonroof, dual climate control, 6disc, XM, blah blah blah... and got me 33 miles to the gallon from Chicago to Cleveland on a recent trip @ 77mph with the AC blowing hard in the middle of July. 420 miles out of a single 13 gallon tank, and it had *just* lit up the reserve light when I got off the interstate. It is quiet, comfortable and responsive, and is hands-down the most reliable car I have ever touched. My only complaint was at first the ride seemed just a tad stiff... over the first 5k it softened a little, and it really made a difference when I changed tires.

I will be buying another one of these some day, should this one die 10 years down the road :)

Keep your oil and filters changed, replace your coolant and trans fluid every 2 years, and it will last a very long time.

I buy new, if it's a loss leader. For example, my '99 F150 has a single option: A/C Then drive them til the wheels fall off.

Dealers end up taking a loss on those because they have to buy those units in order to get the units that sell at a profit.

Otherwise, used.

I take a pass on extended warranties.

I buy used. There are a very few autos that hold their value so well that even a 3 to 4 year old costs too close to new. For one of those I would probably go new. Otherwise, used is the proven economical way to buy a car. Be choosy, get a good one, then drive until you have to have another.

Actually, I'm a little surprized by the lack of passion expressed about cars in this thread. You guys are usually a pretty passionate lot. To me, buying a honda or toyota (with a few exceptions) to drive around would be like buying a Bose system to listen to music on. I know my Audi is going to cost me more in the long run than a Corolla or an Accord or whatever, but that's not the point. It's a heck of a lot more fun to barrel around in, particularly on back mountain roads in the snow. Well, this is Connecticut, let's say back hill roads in the snow. Anyway, I've been driving a Jetta for the past couple of years, leased it new in 2006. It was a nice enough car, never gave me one hiccup, comforable, good mileage, but jeez was it *BOORING*. Couldn't wait for the lease to be up. I've only had the Audi for a few weeks, but I *LOVE* it...

<switch font to little tiny point size> even if it does have a Bose sound system </switch font to little tiny point size>

Im with ray on this. I do not have a lot of passion for the Toyotas, Hondas or Fords. Its funny always miss the good cars much like I miss good audio equipment after I sell it. My Belles sound better than my Cornwalls did but I still miss my cornwalls and wish I had still had them. I still wish I had every BMW I have owned ( about 11 as far as I can remember ) the Audi, The three Alfa's, the Mini, even the VW's. I do not wish that I still had the 4 Runner, the Tauras, or the Camry.

Josh

I agree with Ray to some extent. Yes the Accords of the world are not flashy. But I'm not about flash when it comes to cars. I'd say the lot here has expressed very practical (if different) theories of vehicle ownership. Let's face it, the Klipsch fans are pretty mechanically minded guys and appreciate good solid craftsmanship and things that stand the test of time. Like speakers, some cars are not flashy but good solid performers that you can easily fall in love with.

In 1995 My brother in law from New Mexico sold me on 4 cyl Toyota Camry stationwagons. He is a traveling salesman and puts 400,000 on his Camry's and then gives them to his kids. He also sold me on Amsoil synthetic oil and Amsoil filters. 1996 was the last year for Camry wagons so they are getting harder to find. My winter car is a 1995 Camry wagon 4 cyl that has never left me stranded. It has started first time every time for 170,000 miles. I will retire it when it hits 200,000. In this climate (western N.Y.) 400,000 is unrealistic. I have another 1995 Camry wagon with 72,000 that has never seen winter that we drive in the summer. Not big enough for my ego but I can fit 2 la scalas in the back. I got my K horns home in one trip. Bass bins and 1 top hat in the back. The other top hat rode up front in the passanger seat. Close fit on the Bass bins. 1/2 inch clearance between the wheel wells Last summer my wife bought me a southern 1996 Camry wagon with 48,000 original miles. Like new in and out. Never seen snow or salt. We only plan on driving it when we go on vacations. My wife doent drive anymore so we are set for transportation for a while. Since we paid off our mortgage and credit cards we don't buy anything unless we can pay cash.

I've been buying new for the last 25 years, mainly because in working for the auto industry, I am eligable for the A-Plan discounts of several brands both domestic and foriegn. Now that it appears I may be laid off by year's end, it's likely I will vacate the auto industry all together in search of new employment, so as far as new vehicle purchases, we'll see what the future brings.

As Americans, it is my opinion that we all have the choice to buy whatever we want, without feeling any guilt. I tend to buy domestic vehicles mainly because I feel I owe it to our economy, especially since it's the US auto industry that has paid all of my bills for the last 28 years. Far be it for me to suggest to others what I think they should buy.

I've love to own another Corvette some day, but if I do, it would be at least a 2005 or newer roadster. I've had my fill of wrenching on old ones (coupes). I also wish I could convince my wife, Verna to trade in her mint condition, Laser Red 1996 SVT Cobra Mustang Coupe (only 25,000 miles) for a new 2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 KR Mustang. Oh, baby: What a car! LOL But, that's ok; the '96 is paid for and we certainly don't need any new car payments right now! LOL SO, I'l lenjoy driving my 2005 Ford Freestyle Limited Crossover for the time being. It's been a great replacement for my SUV. -Glenn

Good for you picky. I buy domestic vehicles because I want people like you to have a job, hoping that you in turn spend your dollars on products that are a result of my labor. I don't have kids and I'm fully vested as far as retirement goes (5 years), and I get paid whether I work or not. So there's really nothing in it for me. So for me personally, I don't really care what others buy either. I just hope people think about their own future and that of their kids. What goes around actually does come around, as we are beginning to see now.

BTW, those Corvettes are hard on the back once your back gets a few years on it. Happy motoring!

Keith

T2K (Keith): Oh, I sure do know about the back-pain-thing regarding the ride of Corvettes. My '68 with Gabriel Adjustable "E" gas shocks was murder! The thing made your teeth chatter on these dang Michigan roads! But after driving the newer ones, I'm pretty sure this old geezer's hiney will tolerate the ride and feel long enough to make the ride worthwile! The new ones are much easier on the bod than the old ones. There's still plenty of heel-and-toeing left to do for this old teenager! LOL Take care, Keith! -Glenn