Favre to Retire

I think all of us in WI are initially shocked, but not surprised.

He will be missed.

He is a great role model for the kids.... There are so few left in sports. He truly loved playing the game. You never heard him whine about pay and he is not even close to being one of the highest paid.

He did a lot for WI on and off of the field. You did good.

I was just thinking about something Santana Dotson talked about on the radio a few years back. He told a story saying Bret was like Bill Murry in Caddy Shack back on his land in MS. Seems he was having Beaver problems building dams and he was on a mission to get rid of them.

JM

I think all of us in WI are initially shocked, but not surprised.

He will be missed.

He is a great role model for the kids.... There are so few left in sports. He truly loved playing the game. You never heard him whine about pay and he is not even close to being one of the highest paid.

He did a lot for WI on and off of the field. You did good.

I was just thinking about something Santana Dotson talked about on the radio a few years back. He told a story saying Bret was like Bill Murry in Caddy Shack back on his land in MS. Seems he was having Beaver problems building dams and he was on a mission to get rid of them.

JM

Kurt Warner, now that's a quarterback with beaver problems.

Always seemed like a mans man. (one you would like to or could "hang out with" anytime!!)

Good person apparently on and off the field.

That seems to be rare in the NFL.

One thing for sure.. If he chooses to stay to live full time or part time in GB, it seems like the whole city loves this guy 100%. He can go out and get the best table every day of his life!

Since his mom and my mom are related and since I and my parents have been around him when he's just been "down on the farm" in Miss-sippy, I can tell you he's just a good 'ol boy who's worked hard and done well. The one word that comes to mind when I've seen him at the local seafood festival is unassuming. OTOH.....he's a product of his environment in that he comes from good stock. His family are great people. There's a lot to be said about parents who keep their talented kids well grounded. Too bad that one or two percent of bad apples in the NFL or NBA or MLB or whatever overshines the likes of the Bret Favre's of professional sports.

Tom

Wow tom very cool!! Thanks for your personal experience too.

I just read this..

"Still, in the week leading to the playoff game against Seattle, Favre said his injuries were starting to linger.

"I'm not getting any younger," Favre said. "I wake up some days and
think I can't even touch my toes. I think about that. I think, well,
next year is not going to be like some refreshing, awakening season
where all of a sudden you're going to feel great. That's not going to
happen.

"I carry some of these things with me that maybe you
wouldn't see. I tend to dwell on them, at least internally, more than I
used to. I don't write them off as quickly as I used to."

Would be nice to know our sports heros can still walk and function after the game is over for them! I remember when GB won the superbowl

XXXI

Green
Bay Packers
New
England Patriots

35-21

New
Orleans, LA

and everyone was happy for him and the town. Good things seem to happen for people who work hard and earn it! And your right, your mom and dad have a lot to do with that too!

• Moderators

Since his mom and my mom are related and since I and my parents have been around him when he's just been "down on the farm" in Miss-sippy, I can tell you he's just a good 'ol boy who's worked hard and done well. The one word that comes to mind when I've seen him at the local seafood festival is unassuming. OTOH.....he's a product of his environment in that he comes from good stock. His family are great people. There's a lot to be said about parents who keep their talented kids well grounded. Too bad that one or two percent of bad apples in the NFL or NBA or MLB or whatever overshines the likes of the Bret Favre's of professional sports.

Tom

Tom, very interesting. According to one of my older first cousins, I/we are related to Bret Favre also. Second or third cousins???? I have never met him, but always thought he was just a "down home kind of guy". I do have a rather personal story about Brett to share with you guys....I think you will get a laugh.

He apparently enjoys a good laugh every now and then. Our two youngest daughters did have the occasion to meet him....at the Broke Spoke, a local bar in Kiln that Bret has been known to frequent, in the off season. Seems our middle daughter had to do a senior report on Bret Favre. She and the youngest took off, "headed down to "the Kiln"" to catch up with Bret. Upon their arrival home they excitedly reported the following to dtel and I, "We didn't meet Bret Favre, but we met his brother at the Broke Spoke...we were asking if Bret was around and this guy said he was Bret's brother and maybe he could help us. We explained about the report, his brother said, "Sure, come on back tomorrow and I'm sure Bret will be around"."

I then asked the girls..."how do you know it's Bret's brother, does he look like Bret"...the two girls looked at each other and said, "I don't know but he sure had this big ring on his finger, so he must be related to someone important." Really puzzled now, I asked, "Don't you know what Bret Favre looks like?"....the response..."well, nooooo, but there is a picture of him on the back of the library book I checked out the other day". So, I suggested....duh....they get the library book and see if the picture looks like the brother.

Well....I have never seen such a surprised look on their faces....and the response after they looked closely at the picture on the library book "Oh, my God, he looks just like his brother and that ring is just like his brother's ring!"

At that point, dtel and I couldn't hold back the ROARING LAUGHTER....poor girls thought something was wrong with us.

I tell you.....Bret has probably had quite a few good laughs at their expense.

Brett has earned his retirement as one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. I'm glad that he's out while he can still walk.

It's good to hear that he also is the practical joker that he is reputed to be. He always trys to have a good time without being a bad boy.

Bill

Man what a ride. I suspect he might mean it this time at 38. Think how much fun it would be to watch all professional sports if all professional athletes played with as much heart, exuberance, and had as much fun as Brett. And he's also a great guy.

I for one am glad he kept playing through this season. Almost to the Super Bowl one last time ...

Always fun to watch.

Favre is a throwback type player to what a quarterback should be. One of the few to make today's nfl worth watching every now and then. That said, let's talk about gas prices.Devil

This past weekend in Savannah, GA it was $14.89 a gallon!!! So we opted for the cheap stuff which was still $14.25/gallon. Didn't matter though since the race bikes are jetted for VP Racing racing fuel. Sheesh - almost $15/gallon for Sunoco Turbo Blue race fuel. What's this world coming to??

Tom