Mac Fans - Have You Seen This?

garymd

The meter is idiotic. Good grief -- a needle pointing to 33, 45 or 78.

With a variable pitch control, how else are you going to determine speed? Perhaps mainly of interest to the 78 crowd (OK, crowd is an overstatement), but many of the older ones need significant speed correction to achieve correct pitch.

Dave

I read through the manual before I posted that -- no variable pitch -- just a dumb meter for dumb people who don't know what kind of record they're playing!

[:o] Bah, now you are making my smile. I do have problems with all the 12" 45's these days[:|] So it is not tied into any kind of pitch controller? I like Mac meters but just for looks I don't think it was money well spent[:(] Ithought it had a cooler function like setting the speed button and then using a pitch to zero in to the target speed line[:$] (maybe I should have read fisrt like Dean!)

Pitch control has always been handy for transcribing, that is, to fine tune the recording to one's piano in order to verify what notes are in a chord or melody prior to writing it down. Some recordings are not actually in "tune", that is to say, the speed is slightly altered (intentionally, for reasons not all that clear to me). Another application for pitch control might be to match the wide variety of original recording speeds used by different companies in the days of 78s. These needs (33/45) are met easily with the Technics TT (78 with an available mod) among others.

C&S

I read through the manual before I posted that -- no variable pitch -- just a dumb meter for dumb people who don't know what kind of record they're playing!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1212436406

Is that one of the coolest tables you've seen or what?

Is this a hybrid? It's only PARTIALLY plastic!!

Yes, vintage meters with a modern plastic platter. They needed the meters to justify the $8,000 price tag. You have to admit that it does look pretty darn spiffy no matter how dumb the meters might be. And of course, the faceplate. It wouldn't be a Mac without a breakable glass faceplate!!!

You are correct, then. A dumb meter. In fact, that makes the whole thing dumb and cause me to doubt the whole design.

Dave

I agree with Dean, Mark, Ron, and others who think the meter is nothing but a silly go-faster! As much as I love Mac's big blue meters on their amps and preamps, I feel it's just too garish on a turntable IMHO.

Therefor, I submit to McIntosh a redesign of the MT10's faceplate (or for any upcoming 'table updates)...

post-11084-13819367405098_thumb.jpg