OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

Round One: Detroit Red Wings vs. Nashville Predators

Great game for the Wings tonight. I was able to watch most of the game until about a third of the way through the 3rd period when my wife made me go to the after-hours clinic. Came home with a script and learned that they had won the game, 3-1! Congrats to the Wings on an excellent game and first victory of the 2008 playoffs!

I thought they outplayed the Predators throughout the game but admit to being a little worried when Nashville tied it up. How many times have we seen the Wings dominate all aspects of the game only to lose on the scorecard. Fortunately, the playoff experience of the team has paid off in this first game and they pulled out a victory. Game 2 is Saturday at 2pm Eastern.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are (or at least were) some fairly close ties between the Red Wings and the Stars. Wasn't it Mike Ilitch's (owner of the Red Wings and Tigers franchises) daughter whose husband has a fairly high position in their organization?

I watched a large portion of that game last night as well. Go Dallas!!! They outplayed Anaheim and deserved the win. Looks as if this one is going to be an old-time-hockey type of series! I love it!

I had to work on a final exam for a class I am taking so I got to see only the first and third periods. It was an exciting game for sure but I wasn't happy to see Nicklas Kronwall (55) leave his feet to elbow Rich Peverley. That kind of play is unsportsmanlike in my opinion and Peverley could have been badly injured. Thank goodness he wasn't and nobody from Nashville scored during Kronwall's 2-minute time in the "sin bin". The Wings looked good last night and Hasek did a great job. It was good fun to read the newspaper this morning; 'The Detroit News' referred to Herik Zetterberg (40) as "Hammerin' Hank"! Good stuff!

GO WINGS! - Glenn

I'd love to see the Bruins make it past the first round as well. Tim Thomas, their goalie, and I graduated from the same high school. He was about three years behind me and I didn't know him but it's always good to see a hometown boy do well for himself.

Another nice game by the Wings (and the Preds, although they lost)! Those two goals that came just after the penalty on Hasek made it appear as if they got "inside his head" a bit. I wonder if they will make that a part of their strategy for the series.

Another nice game by the Wings (and the Preds, although they lost)! Those two goals that came just after the penalty on Hasek made it appear as if they got "inside his head" a bit. I wonder if they will make that a part of their strategy for the series.

Yeah, old Dom sorta got caught with his pants down on that first goal that found him behind the net. Geez, that was scary. I do think they were trying to get into his head as that one Pred, Erat bumped into Dom seamingly on purpose after the whistle during the first period. That really P*ssed Dom off and he slammed the guy around a little bit. It was a very physical game by both teams; some good, old-time hockey. "Bingo-Bango!" -Glenn

Wings lose 5-3 last night. I started getting nervous when the Wings went into defensive mode with around 10-12 minutes left in the third with a one goal lead. I thought this was a mistake and would have preferred to see them continue attacking the net.

This was a hard one to accept. The Wing's are much better than they are playing now. It seems like goals are coming in two's against Dom..... Time to rebound and steal a game on the road. Take the series back to the Joe and move on.

GO WINGS

Picky-I agree. The Wings have enough talent where they don't need a goalie who is going to steal a game, or even a series, during the playoffs. They do, however, need one who will not lose a game for them. Dom gave up an absolutely horrible goal immediately after the Wings had scored which just sucked the life out of the team. Babcock made the appropriate call when he pulled the Dominator, I mean the Deucenator, for Osgood. I'm betting he rides Osgood for as long as he can.

Whatever the outcome of the goalie situation one thing is sure; that the Predators have had their hope restored. Something that was nearly gone until the end of game three.

The one Stanley Cup for Hasek was with a completely over-powering Wings team. At the time i did not mind seeing the wings win, except I did not like seeing hasek get any credit. Never liked him, as much for his attitude as for him being an adversary. I still think of him and Lindy Ruff as huge crybabies.

I didn't pay too much attention to the aftermath of the Stanley Cup victory that year although I would state that Hull's foot was in the crease and the goal should have been negated. Isn't that the year the Stars beat the Wings?

It was, and the play was reviewed and ruled by the league as legal. His foot went into the crease in order to gain control of the puck, little known at the time but in the rule book nonetheless. I can't remember if the Stars played the wings that year though. Of course the cup was against the sabres. Belfour out-dueled roy and hasek that year.