OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

I was watching last night. What a great game for the Habs! You've gotta love that crowd at the Bell Centre!

The Montreal fans were exceptional during the game. It's unfortunate what happened afterwards. Tim Thomas, a fellow Davisonian, played very well in the series. Congrats to him on a well deserved year in the "bigs" and best wishes next year.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David: What did happen afterwards? I haven't heard. -Glenn

Think Detroit back in the day after they won a championship and you will have an idea. Burned and otherwise damaged police cars and that mob-mentality driving many to vent their excitement by damaging property. It's unfortunate to see this sort of thing and even surprising after a first round win.

YOUR LUCKY THE EDMONTON OILERS AREN'T YOUR OPPONENT...AGAIN....Party!!!

Why are we lucky? Competitive games are the best! Edmonton has always been a formidable foe. It's a shame they didn't cut-the-mustard this year at 88 points with 44 wins.

It looks like Colorado is next in our future. Hey Patrick: GOT TICKETS?? I've still got some air miles!! LOL [:D] -Glenn

DKP: I see, David. Riots in Montreal. That's too bad.

Man! I had to listen to the first period on the car radio and the Wings really sounded like they were dominating the Avs according to announcer, Ken Kal's call. It was a whole different story coming home and turning on the plasma to watch the second and third periods. Wow! Somebody really lit a fire under Colorado's pads; they turned a 4-1 lead into a last-second 4-3 squeaker as David pointed out. I was almost looking for the Pepto-Bismol near the end of the 3rd. Great hockey! That darned Kronwall (55) is quickly turning into a one-man "Grind-Line"! LOL His hits have been so hard of late that I worry about him ending up on the injured list real soon. The Avs Ryan Smyth (94) skated better than I've ever seen him last night. He's become an amazing and talented hockey player. He had excellent speed through the neutral zone and the momentum carried his play right into our zone. I believe he got an assist on Stastny's and Hejduk's goals last night. Both teams gave it their all last night. I also thought it was very courteous of them to end the game right at 10 pm so we could watch the new 'Lost' episode. (we're still hooked) LOL I can't wait for Saturday's game between these two teams. GO WINGS! -Glenn

Why are we lucky? Competitive games are the best! Edmonton has always been a formidable foe. It's a shame they didn't cut-the-mustard this year at 88 points with 44 wins.

It looks like Colorado is next in our future. Hey Patrick: GOT TICKETS?? I've still got some air miles!! LOL Big Smile -Glenn

Glenn,

If you are serious, I will look for tickets!!!

They pulled out a squeeker!!! why is it that the Wings don't continue to attack the goal when they have a lead? They need to finish a team off. Had they have won by three goals, they would have been in Colorado's head. All of the locals here were wishing for Detroit rather than Dallas.

It looks like Colorado is next in our future. Hey Patrick: GOT TICKETS?? I've still got some air miles!! LOL Big Smile -Glenn

Glenn,

If you are serious, I will look for tickets!!!

They pulled out a squeeker!!! why is it that the Wings don't continue to attack the goal when they have a lead? They need to finish a team off. Had they have won by three goals, they would have been in Colorado's head. All of the locals here were wishing for Detroit rather than Dallas.

Excellent question! They did the same thing in the Nashville series and started playing defense-only for the last, what, half of the third period? Maybe they're trying to boost ratings??? lol I thought Osgood played a great game. He could be faulted on one of the goals but had no chance on at least one of the other two. They played some of the highlights from some of the previous series on Sportscenter this morning. Lots of memories!

David and Patrick: I could not agree with you both more!

Patrick: No, pal I was just kidding. I'd love to see a game at the Pepsi Center and wear an Yzerman jersey but now's not a good time with the PickyFest being next Weekend and all. Thanks for the offer! -Glenn

It was pretty hard to beat my Saturday afternoon TV viewing yesterday; The Avalanche were playing the Wings at "the Joe" (Joe Louis Arena, Detroit), Franzen (93) got a hat trick, McCarty (25) had a good fight with Avalanche player McCormick (11) and the Wings won 5-1 thereby putting them in lead of the series 2-0. Colorado tried everything to get their players sturred up except the most important method; goal-scoring. Unfortunately, Colorado goalie Theodore (60) was pulled after another disappointing performance in consecutive games and now it's doubtful he will start in goal on Tuesday night's game in Colorado. Budai (31) has done a good job as Theodore's replacement. Sound familiar? It should as Detroit had the same issue with their starter, Hasek (39) during the last series with Nashville. Wings' back-up goaltender Osgood (30) is now the Wings' starter for the playoffs and he has been remarkably solid. The Avs have been a disappointment due to their seeming lack of agressiveness in the past two games. They do not appear to be playing with the heart they possessed during the 2nd and 3rd periods of the first game. The Wings need to be careful if they wish to hang onto their current lead because they seem to become tentative each time they've moved ahead of Colorado in the last two games. The Wings must play each entire game as if their lives depend on it if they want to take the cup home this year. Most Wings fans know too well that this team, who has the longest current streak of consecutive playoff seasons, is long overdue in bringing the cup back to Detroit. GO WINGS! -Glenn

It was pretty hard to beat my Saturday afternoon TV viewing yesterday; The Avalanche were playing the Wings at "the Joe" (Joe Louis Arena, Detroit), Franzen (93) got a hat trick, McCarty (25) had a good fight with Avalanche player McCormick (11) and the Wings won 5-1 thereby putting them in lead of the series 2-0. Colorado tried everything to get their players sturred up except the most important method; goal-scoring. Unfortunately, Colorado goalie Theodore (60) was pulled after another disappointing performance in consecutive games and now it's doubtful he will start in goal on Tuesday night's game in Colorado. Budai (31) has done a good job as Theodore's replacement. Sound familiar? It should as Detroit had the same issue with their starter, Hasek (39) during the last series with Nashville. Wings' back-up goaltender Osgood (30) is now the Wings' starter for the playoffs and he has been remarkably solid. The Avs have been a disappointment due to their seeming lack of agressiveness in the past two games. They do not appear to be playing with the heart they possessed during the 2nd and 3rd periods of the first game. The Wings need to be careful if they wish to hang onto their current lead because they seem to become tentative each time they've moved ahead of Colorado in the last two games. The Wings must play each entire game as if their lives depend on it if they want to take the cup home this year. Most Wings fans know too well that this team, who has the longest current streak of consecutive playoff seasons, is long overdue in bringing the cup back to Detroit. GO WINGS! -Glenn

WOW Glenn!! Are you sure that you are not a sportswriter? To someone not familiar with this series, you summed it up very well in just a few paragraphs. You are right, I hope the Avs woke up a sleepy giant by taunting the team and their fans, at the Joe, when McCloud tossed the octipy into the bench area. I know that it is early but, I see an oceder coming!!!!!!

WOW Glenn!! Are you sure that you are not a sportswriter? To someone not familiar with this series, you summed it up very well in just a few paragraphs. You are right, I hope the Avs woke up a sleepy giant by taunting the team and their fans, at the Joe, when McCloud tossed the octipy into the bench area. I know that it is early but, I see an oceder coming!!!!!!

Thanks Patrick. I do have a minor in English but I've also got a good face for radio. Perhaps that's why you suggested sports-"writer"? LOL I did get a big kick out of McCloud's pre-game "Octo-Toss". You've got to know that all he accomplished was to fire up the Detroit fans and their team. He actually only hit one of the stairway handrails and then it tumbled to the floor of a pedestrian tunnel. And to think the NHL is so worried about Detroit's Octopus-Swinging Zamboni driver, Al Sabotka getting "octopus-matter" on the ice or in the stands that they have officially forbidden him or anyone else from twilling any more octopi around his head when he picks them up from the ice, or he'll be fined $10,000 by the league! How ridiculous and petty. This all began after the Anaheim Ducks manager, Brian Burke complained about Sabotka’s octopus-wrangling last year. It didn't seem to stop them from winning the cup last year, so what's the beef? I wonder, would the league have fined McCloud if he'd of smacked some spectator in the chops with his octopus-toss? Probably not. Octopus-throwing began in the NHL playoffs in Detroit, back in 1952.

I watched the Pittsburgh-New York Rangers and the Dallas-San Jose games yesterday. I was surprised to see New York give it up considering all of the talent on that team. Also, San Jose had the lead and they seemed to let it slip by them in a way similar to the current way the Avalanche have been playing.

Wait till tomorrow night at the Pepsi Center Glenn. Pay attention to the chants from the crowd and the signs and t-shirts the Av's faithful display. I will show a picture of my little tribute to the Av's! You will get a kick out of it!

Glenn, I'm not sure what you mean about the Sharks and Stars. They split the regular season games this year. As for the octopus thing, I know it's a tradition, but it is a little gross in this day and age of increased awareness. I mean I have eaten them, but it seems a waste to just toss'em where they make a mess. The league would probably not want to project the image of a game featuring seafood thrown onto the playing surface.

Glenn, I'm not sure what you mean about the Sharks and Stars. They split the regular season games this year. As for the octopus thing, I know it's a tradition, but it is a little gross in this day and age of increased awareness. I mean I have eaten them, but it seems a waste to just toss'em where they make a mess. The league would probably not want to project the image of a game featuring seafood thrown onto the playing surface.

OT: Yeah, thanks. I probably got some erroneous information from those "meatheads" on TV which is why I had stated, "I could be wrong". I went ahead and removed it as I prefer to know what the heck I am talking about. LOL

My wife and I enjoy eating octopus, too, especially from Greektown here in Detroit. I'm not certain what is meant by "increased awareness". I think maybe "increased sensitivity" or "decreased tolerance" may be more accurate. Yes, it could be considered wasteful to throw a dead octopus carcass on the ice, especially when it was stated by Wings' Ice keeper, Al Sabotka in a 1996 interview that it usually occurs on average, some "25 times during each Red Wings playoff game". It has been said here in Detroit on the local news recently that Al cuts up and tosses the octopi gathered from the ice into the Detroit River immediately behind the arena and the local fish feast on it. I'm sure there are many different views held by folks on this and endless other similar subjects. Opinions are fine; everyone has one. With that said, I for one would sure hate to see an end come to yet another one of our local traditions due to the dulling-down of the uniqueness of our society. But, I suppose if throwing dead octopi on the ice bothers some folks, then the dead catfish that are thrown on the ice by Nashville fans probably upsets some too. What’s next? Will there be an increased awareness that there’s too much pollution and waste each time the Calgary Flames score a goal and the arena fires off those propane canons which belch huge flames skyward behind the goals? “Where’s my sound meter? I’d better start monitoring crowd noise levels at the games!” I apologize for my cynicism. It's all gotta end somewhere. -Glenn

Game three tonight @ 10pm Eastern. This should be the most entertaining of the three as it is a must-win for the Avs. I'm hopeful that the Wings have learned some lessons from their series against the Predators and don't ease up for this one. It sounds like Peter Forsberg will be playing tonight, provided that he feels up to speed at game-time.

BTW, most of the octupi thown onto the ice are boiled prior to the game which eliminates the mess when they hit the ice. It's unfortunate that the league has again cracked down on this famous tradition.

Yeah whatever. Most of the time the fans throw stuff on the playing surface and the home team gets penalized after the first warning. Stuff simply should not be allowed to be thrown onto a playing surface by fans, unless it's a hat trick. Remember when Florida fans were warned and stopped from throwing rats (plastic rats) on the ice for what they termed a rat trick? What a double standard. I was fairly neutral over this but now after hearing about "tradition" as an excuse I'm sick of it. Plastic rats are not ok but octopussy is? Face it, it's all wrong.

Thanks dkp for helping me clarify my thoughts on this. It looks like it will be the stars and wings for the conference this year. I have always thought the wings would win the conference but now i might as well add the curse of the president's trophy. Wear it well.