OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

I still think for the stars to have a chance turco needs a shutout. That and history is still against them. If they somehow manage to win game 6, then the shutout comes in game 7? Sorry, just daydreaming... Osgood is pretty steady, Fleury I think runs a little more streaky between hot and cold. The game is less than 3 hours away, go pens! Watch out for the flyers, they are pretty scrappy.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the strange thing was, even with 4 goals against, except for the breakaway, you couldn't really pin turco for any blame. Wings came out strong and took the game under control. Kudos for them, and for the stars for giving a good battle in the series. Should be a great cup finals to watch.

The Wings, many of us know and love, were back last night and so was the fat lady, who sang beautifully. The headlines in this morning’s ‘The Detroit News’ stated simply, “FINALLY!” Well said. The Stars made it clear to Detroit in game 4 that they wouldn’t go willingly. But the Wings came out in the first period last night, cool, calm and deliberate scoring 3 goals during the first period, one of which was off of Draper’s chin. “It went of my chin, it went in, who cares?” Draper said as blood still caked his beard. The wings held onto puck possession nearly all evening which is the style of play the Wings have perfected over the years. It wasn’t until the 3rd period when the 3-0 score was finally answered early-on by a power play goal by Ribeiro thereby ruining Osgood’s shut-out. That goal seemed to fire up the Dallas Stars who then played with more urgency. But it was too little, too late. Puck-after-puck was shot at the Detroit net from close range, but somehow, Osgood was able to turn all shots away. It was if he’d had some sort of “invisible force field”! Osgood was simply amazing in net last night. And speaking of power plays, nobody had more trouble scoring on their own power plays than Dallas who had 8 of them (to Detroit’s 3) and scored only once. Detroit’s Zetterberg even managed to score a short-handed goal during a Stars power play in the 3rd making the final score 4-1. Now, being the new 2007-2008 Western Conference Champions, the Wings were awarded the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl (trophy) last night. They won the President’s trophy at the end of the regular season with 115 points this year. As for Dallas, they will be heading to the Driving Range this morning to limber-up for golf season while for the first time since 2002, the Wings prepare to meet the pesky Pittsburg Penguins on Saturday night (8 pm EDT) in the Stanley Cup Finals. This will be the first meeting of the two teams in a long time as they did not play one another this past season. This should prove to be an exciting contest; the Pens are 8-0 in the Mellon Arena (their home ice) for the post-season. GO WINGS! -Glenn

Glenn, as usual, you writing is spot on!! Thanks for taking the time to sum up the games as thououghly as you do. Ozzy played his a$$ off last night and the Wings got some scoring from the so called "grinders" last night. I saw the Wings throwing themselves down to block shots and basically doing the little things that pay huge dividends!!!! Fleury is also playing very good hockey but he is yet to see the scoring barrage that Zetterberg, Datsyuk and hopefully Franzen will bring to the arena. I say the Wings will win it in 7!!!

Patrick: Thanks for the props!

Dallas and especially, Turco and his passing abilities, were very impressive for the most part and they have nothing to be ashamed of. I venture to say the finals should prove very exciting as they are between two great teams who've earned their way to the top. But, as for any predictions; I don't want to jinx the guys in the Red Sweaters. One-game-at-a-time for me, Sir! LOL Bingo-Bango! We're in the Finals! Hee-Hee! [:D] -Glenn