OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great occasion for you and your family. On the hockey side, I'm not expecting much in this series, just some better competition than the avs gave anyway. Been predicting detroit all along. It's a moral victory just to get to the conference finals again.

I can't argue with you about the officiating but with a 4-1 lead, 30 seconds left in the game and Brad Winchester already in the box for slashing, did the 5-on-3 really make much of a difference in the game's outcome? Probably not. Unfortunate? Yes. About all the 5-on-3 did was add insult to an already defeated bench that had played hard.

Typically in the NHL, the questionable officiating usually seems to somehow even itself a out a bit by game's end in many games and there were a few non-calls on Dallas for hits they placed on Wings players who were not near the puck. Example: Of course, I can't recall the names of the two guys (I think Franzen was the Wing) but he was interfered with in the 2nd period near the Stars' net while in pursuit of the puck and there was no call. Behind the play (also in the 2nd period I think), Turco slashed one of the Wings in the chest with his stick; no call, probably because he was okay. I'm sure there were plenty of non-calls on the Wings, too. - Just my humble opinion, guys.

OT: I see. With times zones being what they are, I admit that I was remiss in not looking to see what time you posted your post, and you did not indicate the period or other details in your note. Thanks for clarifying. With that said, you must be refering to the 3-on-5 in the 1st where at 3:45 Mattius Norstrom got 2 mins. for hooking and at 4:19 Mark Fistric drew 2 mins. for roughing thereby creating about a 1min, 29 secs.of 5-on-3 for the Wings that allowed Brian Rafalsky to score the first goal moments later at 4:28. I agree, it was a cheap call.

If I had to choose one word to describe last evening’s playoff game between Dallas and Detroit, it would be: INTENSE. Both teams were pretty even last night. Dallas stepped up their level of play from game one and battled very hard right up until the end but ended up finishing the game with an empty net and two men in the box again in the final seconds. The Wings we told by their coach they weren’t using the body enough in game one and they definitely increased their hitting last night. Wings won 2-1 and are now 2-0 in the series, which goes back to Dallas for a Monday night game. Franzen, Detroit's hottest goal-scorer of late, did not dress for the game as he'll be out for at least two games due to "concussion-like symptoms" he's suffered with for two weeks since the series with Colorado. Detroit's Darren Helm scored his first-ever NHL goal in the first period making it 1-0 Detroit. There were again some bad calls Saturday night and a lot of missed calls for both teams. Through the end of the second period, the Wings led in the amount of penalities with 5 for Detroit to Dallas' 4.

The game turned a bit ugly late in the 3rd period assumably due to Dallas' frustration. Dallas drew 5, 3rd-period penalties while Detroit drew none. As Draper took Ott down during one of the last face-offs, Ott pulled Draper's helmet off and slugged him a few times in the face with his gloved hands. Draper did not retaliate and Ott was given a 10-minute game misconduct penalty. But the most controversial incident was just as the game ended when there was an altercation between Wings goalie Chris Osgood and Dallas Forward Mike Ribiero.

Intentional or not (Osgood claims it was innocent but the video adds question) the butt-end of his goal stick caught Ribiero just under the cheek as he skated past the net. This infuriated Ribiero who then reacted by two-handing Osgood in the chest from behind the net with his hockey stick. The stick hit with sufficient force to break in half. Osgood tumbed to the ice. A trainer attended to him. He appeared okay in an interview later on. Ribiero was given a 10-minute match penalty that will be reviewed by the league. Detroit's team captain, Lidstrom suggested a league suspension of Ribiero was in order. He said in an interview that if he was angry with Osgood he should have dropped his gloves and went at with him man-to-man, but that a stick in the chest from behind the net wasn't acceptable. Newspapers this morning are labeling Ribiero’s action “a cheap shot”. Dallas called Osgood’s action “cowardly”. Regardless, neither action should have happened. No further word is currently available this morning regarding the league's final decision on the incident.

I haven't had time to watch the Eastern Conference games but there sure seems to be quite a battle brewing in Pennsylvania between the Pens and Flyers! From what I did catch of the games it looks like some good, old-time hockey! Pens up 2-0.

As for the Western Conference, both Osgood and Ribiero were fined by the league, undisclosed amounts for their post-game altercation on Saturday night. But there's still some strong feelings remaining on both teams so I can only predict that we'll be seeing a few gloves hit the ice in Colorado tonight. Game on! Wings up 2-0.

LOL @ Tomas Holmstrom!!!! I have not seen anything that funny watching hockey in quite some time. Usually you see a forward juking a goalie out of his jock; Tomas just juked himself out of his own jock!

Game 3 was pretty much all business and no "pleasure" (just kidding): It was all hockey and no retaliatory brawls. McCarty will have to get his "daily work-out" in the weight room, instead. The Stars came to play and played very hard...especially in the first period. The action was so intense it was almost frantic at times. The Dallas crowd was so into the game that a mid-period goal by Datsyuk at 9:27 in the first didn't seem to suppress the roar much. The Dr. Pepper StarCenter didn't seem to be capable of getting much louder until there was 5:15 left in the first when Grossman scored a wrist shot tying the score 1-1 and the crowd got nuts. But 37 seconds later, one could hear a pin drop as Datsyuk's second goal silenced the crowd for a while. As OT mentioned, Turco made some mistakes that cost them dearly, but this loss can't be pinned on just one person. Win as a team / lose as a team. Add to that the fact that Datsyuk got his first career hat trick and you arrive at the final score of 5-2. Penalties were Wings 6, Stars 4 (no majors this time). Shots-on-goal were surprisingly close at 18 Dallas, 21 Detroit. Wings up 3-0 in the series. Dallas' last shot at remaining in the series is Wednesday in Dallas 8 pm EDT. GO WINGS! -Glenn