OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

My second post after the Turco one was regarding the whole team. The stars have three key players out, but that is hockey, nothing to cry about. The wings are on top of their game right now. If they play the pens it will be similar to the stars style of play, only the pens don't miss the net as much. The stars have a lot to build upon from this year, with their young d corps which just gained a ton of playoff experience, plus the swedish phenom they just signed to add into the mix. All in all a positive year, despite this conference championship series.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks more and more like a wings pens Stanley Cup final. Could someone tell me why Detroit isn't selling out the games?

kuisis: That's an easy one to answer: We're the Motor City and American cars & trucks aren't selling. We have a state unemployment rate as of March 2008 of 7.2% (highest in the nation). Many of those still working are experiencing 50% pay cuts. Gas costs $3.85 to $4.00+ a gallon. Few people here can afford the cost of playoff tickets. Third round tickets start around $300 from what I understand and that's for standing room only. The 4th round tickets will be through the roof if the trend follows past years at the Joe (Joe Louis Arena). Parking at the Joe is $20 to $50. HD Cable: Priceless! -Glenn

It would appear that OT got his wish on yield amanagement. $95 isn't so bad. I was going by what they cost last year. I'm sure the scalpers are still making a lot of dough on the good seats. Regarding the other reasons I mentioned, they are still true. Our local news talks about it often. I wonder if team owner, Mike Ilitch started out with higher pricing this playoff season and then brought it down when he saw the seats weren't being filled?

In the past, I have seen Wings finals tickets start at $700 each for the nosebleed seats and go over $3,000 or more each for the better seats. -Yikes! Standing room was about $200 each.

I never predicted or assumed the outcome of tonight's game because the fat lady hadn't sung. Well, ....she still hasn't. No matter who you rooted for you'd have to admit this game was a very intense and exciting nail-biter. Great hockey on both sides! The Stars brought their hearts with them tonight and played like it. They knew they faced elimination. Despite gaining their first lead in the series which they got in the last 22 seconds of the second period (video showed Ericksson clearly in the crease but no call because the puck got there first), they lost it just over a minute later to a tying goal by Zetterberg as the third period began. Dallas pulled out all of the stops and won 3-1. Some Wings fans may argue that a second period goal was denied the Wings due to a very poor call that Holstrom had contacted the goalie. Video showed it was clearly a good goal as Holstrom wasn't in the crease nor touching Turco on the non-reviewable play. But, that evens things up a bit in the series because in game one a Wings goal was counted even though video clearly showed Holstrom was in the blue prior to the shot. Dallas forces game 5 which means they come back to Detroit. I sure hope that fat lady is in good voice Saturday night! GO WINGS! -Glenn

Well Fellers, I'm back, the wedding was wonderful and I (we) are very glad that it is behind us! As far as the Wing's go, I was hoping that there would be a sweep in the Western Conferance Championship. That was not to be. Glenn is absolutely right, the overweight woman is yet to sing. Let's not forget what Dallas overcame in the last series. Hopefully Detroit can wrap it up this Saturday at the Joe!

As far as ticket prices for a Wing's playoff game, two years ago I was in Detroit for the AudioKarma Fest during the round 1 series. I did go to the Joe and the cheapest tickets I could find (scalpers) was 500 dollars. I was by myself and I did take enough money to see a game, I just thought that 500 smackers was too much money to see the game by myself. Had my lovely wife been there and I had to spend 1000 smackers, I think that too, would have been too steep a price. GO WINGS!!!!

Dude, you must mean especially with the wings loss! lol. I still see a wings/pens cup final though.

Any potential opponent of the wings should wish for two things: 1. Not to have to play the wings. 2. If you have to play the wings then hope they have to play as many intense grueling games as possible. the pens are good, but they will still need all the luck and help they can get against the wings.

No I meant what I said. I just like hockey! I can't believe how little credit the pens are getting! They have a better goalie, no offense to Osgood, and that has hurt the wings in the past, and maybe even with Turco now. I see the only problem with the pens is their sometime lack of focus. They have Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury, that's more than most teams. I hope we will see. The best thing about a pens wings series might be that people should see great hockey without clutching grabbing.

kuisis: No offense taken regarding Osgood. If you take only the stats into consideration, which is all many of us have to go on, in 3 of the 4 stats taken on the goalies during the playoffs, Fleury does best Osgood, so it's hard to argue against your point. Ozzy bests Fleury only in the 4th stat; goals-against average. Considering that we ARE talking about the Stanley Cup Playoffs here, it's of course difficult to imagine any of the starter net-minders qualifying as "poor goalies" or their teams never would have gotten this far. No, I haven't forgotten about Hasek. LOL (and he's not starting either, thank goodness). [:S]

The Wings played very flat yesterday and the Stars were there to take full advantage of it. The Wings made plenty of mistakes. Case in point; both goals came during poorly-executed line-changes by the Wings and thanks to the admittedly-superb passing ability of goaltender Marty Turco in at least one instance, Dallas put-the-biscuit-in-the-basket. Final: 2-1 Dallas. The series goes back to Texas on Monday with the series set at Detroit 3, Dallas 2. If Detroit wants to face either of the Pennsylvania teams any time soon, they'd better figure out how to shift the momentum back to the Detroit team, as the Stars are playing like they are on a roll. I predict the Dallas crowd will be unrelenting to the visitors tomorrow night. LET'S GO RED WINGS!!! -Glenn