OT: Red Wings vs.

dkp

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never count your chickens before they hatch ..................... EH !!!!!!!!!

Oh, trust me OB, I'm not! Tonight's game is not going to be easy for either team. I expect another all-out battle! No predictions about the outcome from me, but there's no discounting the fact that the Wings now have a 3-game chance to end this thing and two of those chances are on home ice.

Been a good series, Saturday's game was dissapointing! Seems like Malkin is in a major funk, wonder if he's injured or just frustrated! I'm hoping for a victory tonight. The only team to blow a 3-1 lead in the finals was the Wings. Not likely in my opinion, but it's not over yet.

Sometimes; just sometimes… it happens: You shoot a puck into your own goal trying to clear the crease. Had it not been for Niklas Kronwall’s misfortune of doing just that in last night’s game 5 (the goal was awarded to Pittsburgh’s Adam Hall), there would have been no 3 overtimes and it would be all over but the parade. We all knew the Penguins would be out for blood last night. Unfortunately Jiri Hudler gave it to them in the form of a 4-minute major penalty due to a high stick to Pittsburg defenseman Rob Scuderi near the beginning of the third overtime. That’s all of the advantage Sykora needed to send them back to Pittsburgh for a game 6 at the Igloo, thereby making the vendors at the Mellon some of the happiest people in the world right now. Final score Penguins 4, Detroit 3. Detroit continues to lead the series 3-2.

I don’t mean to sound like I am trying to take anything away from how well Pittsburgh played. With each game played, I am gaining more and more respect for this young hockey team that Detroiters barely get the pleasure of seeing play each season. They came to battle and did so with vigor, amid injury after injury. But their real shining star was their goaltender, Marc-Andre Fleury, the young kid who stopped 55 shots by the wings. Final shots-on-goal totals were: Detroit 58, Pittsburgh 32. It was an amazing effort by both teams, especially goaltenders, Fleury and Osgood.

Not to use this as an excuse for the games’ outcome, it’s just too bad the game was tainted by some of the worst officiating we’ve seen in the NHL in years: Referees couldn’t seen to agree on what icing was and seemingly anyone within the blue line was guilty of goal tender interference if they shot the puck towards the goal late in the game. There were a lot of questionable off-sides calls too. Maybe the officials were tired and just wanted their warm milk and to turn in? No one was more tired than those players. Verna and I hit the sheets immediately after the last goal at 12:55 am this morning. Did I mention I get up for work at 5 am? {yawn} Needless to say, we are looking forward to Wednesday night’s game in Pittsburgh. GO WINGS! -Glenn

What a game!! One of the best cup games in a long time. I also am looking forward to Wednesday's game. The wings are starting to tighten up and that's not good for them. Fleury kept them in the game for sure and they found a way to win it at the end. Great hockey. How come when somebody starts a sentence with Not to take anything away from...... they always do [:D] Go pens, now if I can only get a ticket for the game.

Tom

What a game for sure!! That was some of the most exciting, on the edge of your seat hockey games I've seen in quite some time! An emotional game for sure! Both teams played very well last night (and this morning) and gave it everything they had. The crowd at the Joe was into the game from the drop of the first puck, cheering with a gusto previously unheard in this series. The volume of their cheers seemed to crescendo in the waning minutes of the third as the Wings led by a single goal and they anticipated the awarding of the Cup, the greatest trophy in all of sports. The Cup was removed from its case and was getting a final polish as the game seemed to be in hand. The fans were chanting, "We want the Cup, we want the Cup, we want the Cup," and the roof was just about to be blown off the place from the sheer force of the fans cheering. Twas not to be, at least on that night, as the Pens scored the tying goal and took the Wings to overtime. What an absolute emotion-killer that was. Didn't the Pens know this was the Wings night??? Wow, what a letdown. The Wings players, however, continued to absolutely pepper the Pens goalie with shots throughout all three overtimes. Kudos to them for a valiant effort.

I wonder how much the sheer frustration of this game will play into the Wings' minds as they prepare for the next game in the Igloo. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Pittsburgh net and only came away with three goals. That coupled with being only moments away from winning the series, the horrid officiating and the disappointment of this latest loss will likely have some impact on them in the game in Wednesday. The Pens, on the other hand, will arrive at the Igloo with a renewed level of energy and enthusiasm, as will the fans.

A few things I've noticed over the past couple of games:

1) The Wings seemed to have moved away from the forward playing immediately in front of Fleury during the power-play. Neither Holmstrom nor Franzen has tried to stake a claim to that area just outside (mostly) the crease

2) Kronwall has not had a hit of note during the last couple of games and has seemed to be less noticeable.

3) The Pens defense has been doing a much better job of collapsing down low and cycling the puck

4) Fleury is the real-deal. This guy deserves to get the Conn-Smythe if the Pens are able to turn the series around. He's been stopping the shots that a goaltender should be expected to stop and even many of those that he is not expected to stop.

I wonder if Babcock will make any player changes in game six. (If he does make a change I don't think it will be for poor performance).

How come when somebody starts a sentence with Not to take anything away from...... they always do Big Smile Tom

Tom, old buddy: I agree with most of what you said. But if you are going to accuse me of something, at least please have the respect to use my name rather than just saying "somebody". I think its interesting you chose to say that about a paragraph I wrote that speaks rather glowingly of the Pengiuns. At least, I THOUGHT I was paying them a compliment. [:S] -Glenn

dkp: Great write-up, David. I agree on your points. On your #1 I think the boys are gun-shy now because of all of the interference calls they've been handing out.

dkp: Great write-up, David. I agree on your points. On your #1 I think the boys are gun-shy now because of all of the interference calls they've been handing out.

Glenn: I agree and am wondering whether Kronwall is feeling a bit skittish as well (that was the other item that the Pens coach complained about after game two). It has been interesting to see the Wings playing one style throughout the playoffs and watching them try to adjust to a moderated version of themselves for the Finals.

dkp: Yes, David, I'm sure you are right that Kronwall is probably a bit leery, as he should be; he's probably being watched just like Homer, but, for a different reason. That's because it looked as though he had left the ice at least twice on two of those big hits of his. Not only is that not allowed, but someone could get badly injured. Plus, the Wings don't need the penalty-kill minutes, at crucial times, either. -Glenn

Glenn, old buddy old pal,

No disrespect intended, it is true that just saying not to take anything away automatically does just that. I didn't mean to insult you you always seem like a nice guy and I thought I could joke around a little. I apologize. I just hoped for a great series and that's what it's become. A little good natured ribbing is a good thing. Pittsburgh hopefully will win Wednesday and set up a great game seven. If the chilli willie's win I think the wings should change their mascot to a big apple.[H]

All in good fun

Tom

I don't think the NHL instituted the rule against leaving your feet because of potential injury on an open-ice type of hit. This, to my knowledge, has never been a problem in the NHL. I believe that this rule was instituted when players like Jeremy Roenick would get a head of steam from center ice and really nail someone who is at the end of the rink, near the corners. They used to jump just before hitting the player which resulted in a larger number of injuries, especially head injuries. However, since the rule is in the book, it is also enforced for hits that take place all over the ice. I may be way off with my take on this but I just don't see a lot of risk from a player leaving his feet in the process of making an open-ice hit. If the other player sees him coming he really only needs to duck. If he doesn't see him coming he's kinda hosed either way.

David: No arguement here. You make perfect sense to me and you do seem to be more familiar with the rule than I know I am. Good call, sir!

Tom: Hey, if you are just ribbing me then no problem and no offense taken. And yes, I AM a nice guy as a matter of fact! LOL And it's obvious to me that I am not the only one. Thanks! I have nothing but respect for both teams. [H] -Glenn

Glenn:

It was/is all in good fun. I hope all the players are ready for tonights game. It was reported that up to 8 pens players were getting iv's during the overtime period. That, along with the injuries to Gonchar and Malone could hurt the pens. Only 12 hours to go, go Pens. This town is hockey crazy. Someone I know sold four tickets for 5000 a piece to the last game here to a ceo from Minnesota. He has the same tickets up for even more this game. Gotta love Stubhub.

Tom

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! That ranks right up there with one of the most exciting final games in a series that I have ever witnessed! What an absolutely incredible finish! Hats off to the Pens for an exceptional series and almost taking this final game into OT!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking about taking my oldest to the parade!