Andy: Apple tree

Paul: Peach tree

Paul III, Pear tree

Michael: Magnolia tree

Lauren: Lemon tree

Anatoly: Apple tree

Kinda got an alphabet thing going on...

Paul

Paul, that is extraordinarily cool. Great idea, wherever it came from. Gardens can be not only places of great beauty, but preserves of memory and family.

I personally have always enjoyed Southern Magnolia's. There are a few around here that are huge! People have set up picnic areas underneath the branches, which lay on the ground around the outer edges. Very cool trees.

Those maples and pictures from Japan are beautiful.

• Moderators

I love trees, too, and I love the idea of the kids planting them on birthdays. I planted a maple tree in the backyard a few months after Steven was born in 2004.... We call it "Steven's Tree" and he enjoys seeing how big it gets every year. If I ever move, it will be by far the hardest thing to leave behind...

Photos taken 2005, 2006, and last fall:

post-4329-13819367648192_thumb.jpg

Japanese Maples are some of the most beautiful trees. You should see one done into a really nice bonsai. They are hard to keep alive in that form, but the rewards justify the trouble.

We have a fellow in our area who has a nursery with hundreds if not thousands of trees. I love em.

I like DARK MAPLE ............... if they could only breed trees whose leaves won't fall in the Fall ............... EH !!!!!!!!

Those are actually called evergreens OB, but deciduous trees have the advantage of creating shade in the summer, and letting in sun for solar gain in the winter. My first wife hated deciduous trees, only wanted evergreens. She is an idiot.