Anyone order THE DOORS ltd. ed. Vinyl Box Set?

Anyone else get theirs? Am I the only one?

For those Doors fans who haven't ordered one, DON'T WAIT! This is one amazing box set. I've listened to all but the mono and every LP in this set (except Strange Days) is worthy of being a "show off your system" album. Right now I'm pretty sick of listening to The Doors but it was fun getting to that point. My wife even commented on all the stuff she'd never heard before. All she kept saying is "That's new, that's new, that's new."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know when you tell someone that a certain movie was great, they end up disappointed because of high expectations? Well, this set is SO friggin good NOBODY will be disappointed unless they are completely deaf (JMHO of course)! Yes, they played with the EQ a bit and certain guitar riffs are louder than you've ever heard.....stuff like that. The bass on "Waiting For The Sun," second song on side one of Morrison Hotel is amazing. Similair to Twentieth Century Fox but better. Roadhouse Blues? Kicks a$$!! The Soft Parade? Killer! Like I said before though, my Japanese pressing of LA Woman has a slightly better version of Riders On The Storm IMO. I'm still going to sell all my Doors LPs. This set is all I need for the rest of my life.

Crank it up or turn it down. This one sounds great either way. One of the best at low volumes I've heard. Probably because of the jacked up EQ on the solos and bass. Who cares though.

BTW - If you put all the LPs in plastic jackets with MFSL rice sleeves, they will all still fit nicely (though a bit snug) in the box.

I still haven't played the mono and I'm waiting patiently for another review. I'm wondering what happened to Travis. I'm sure he got his copy by now.

I knew Travis had a big case coming up. If you're out there pal, get some rest and report in!

BTW - The only downside to this set is that there is a bit of surface noise. I heard they were having problems with the tapes and this might be the result. Waiting For The Sun and Morrison Hotel are the worst IMO. Only in the quiet passages can you hear it and they're so damn awesome, you really don't even notice until your 2nd time listening.

• Moderators

I knew Travis had a big case coming up. If you're out there pal, get some rest and report in!

BTW - The only downside to this set is that there is a bit of surface noise. I heard they were having problems with the tapes and this might be the result. Waiting For The Sun and Morrison Hotel are the worst IMO. Only in the quiet passages can you hear it and they're so *** awesome, you really don't even notice until your 2nd time listening.

Hey, thanks for thinking of me Gary and Luther,

Yes been battling the giants at City Hall trying to keep a cop from losing his job. My set arrived day before yesterday, have not unwraped it, but it is No. 239.

I'm really looking forward to listening to these based on what I have read from Gary. The Doors are one of my all time favorite bands, I have an original pressing of every LP in Stereo, I have an original mono pressing of The Doors and Waiting for the Son, Japan Import ala Gary of The Doors, the MFSL The Doors, a couple of Gemma LP's, some of the red lable second issues, and prerecorded R2R of every LP.

The people involved in this project are all top notch and so I was really hoping for great things when I preordered this about a years ago, the day Rhino announced it. Based on what Gary has heard so far it sounds like this one is well worth the wait, even if it is to have a stereo version of The Doors at proper speed.

Can't wait to let 'er rip, now the only decision is to decide which one start with.

Travis

BTW - The only downside to this set is that there is a bit of surface noise. I heard they were having problems with the tapes and this might be the result. Waiting For The Sun and Morrison Hotel are the worst IMO. Only in the quiet passages can you hear it and they're so *** awesome, you really don't even notice until your 2nd time listening.

Yes been battling the giants at City Hall trying to keep a cop from losing his job. My set arrived day before yesterday, have not unwraped it, but it is No. 239.

I'm really looking forward to listening to these based on what I have read from Gary. The Doors are one of my all time favorite bands, I have an original pressing of every LP in Stereo, I have an original mono pressing of The Doors and Waiting for the Son, Japan Import ala Gary of The Doors, the MFSL The Doors, a couple of Gemma LP's, some of the red lable second issues, and prerecorded R2R of every LP.

The people involved in this project are all top notch and so I was really hoping for great things when I preordered this about a years ago, the day Rhino announced it. Based on what Gary has heard so far it sounds like this one is well worth the wait, even if it is to have a stereo version of The Doors at proper speed.

Can't wait to let 'er rip, now the only decision is to decide which one start with.

Travis

where did you order yours fron to get suh a low # or does it mattere you buy it?

Travis

where did you order yours fron to get suh a low # or does it mattere you buy it?

I'd like to know also. Acoustic Sounds? I guess I didn't preorder from the start though. I waited a few months which is why I got in the 2,000s. The president of Elusive Disc emailed me after I complained about my # and he claimed they got mostly in the 3-4000s and I was fortunate to get under 3,000.

Travis - YOU SUCK!!!

Ordered mine through Amazon a few weeks ago and it showed up last week. Haven't opened it yet but the serial# is 1680-something and the case is a dark-gray/purplish slate faux-lizard skin affair that can easily look black in low lighting. I would guess that all the boxes are the same but look blue in some photos. I ordered another set as a gift so it'll be interesting to see if the serial# goes up or down. I know a few of the web stores tend to sell off all they're higher serial#'s first (say, above #100 or 1000 depending on the issue) so they can charge a premium when the item sells out. Amazon ships the boxes out of Laurel so its very quick, safe shipping around here but the sets are handled and packed terribly.... just thrown in a big box with some air sacs. My order only had to go 20 miles or so and the plastic wrap was ripped at the corner. No other damage thankfully, but that may not be the case with longer shipping - just be mindful when you order. If you're interested in a pristine case, it may be safer to pay a few more $ and buy the set through someone who knows how to ship vinyl - musicdirect, elusivedisc or such.

Travis

I'd like to know also. Acoustic Sounds? I guess I didn't preorder from the start though. I waited a few months which is why I got in the 2,000s. The president of Elusive Disc emailed me after I complained about my # and he claimed they got mostly in the 3-4000s and I was fortunate to get under 3,000.

Travis - YOU SUCK!!!

Man Gary, talk about slammin' a guy why he's feeling small and working a big case[:o] I know it was written with love[;)] LOL

THX BillyBob, I believe Trey said those were the last Belle's to roll off the line. That pallette was just sitting all lonesome in the wherehouse at the 2006 Hope Pilg[:(] Still my favorite looking heritage[Y]

THX BillyBob, I believe Trey said those were the last Belle's to roll off the line. That pallette was just sitting all lonesome in the wherehouse at the 2006 Hope PilgSad Still my favorite looking heritageYes

Saved the best for last,lol!

No ah, Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine, I felt at the time was a must have, and I did. Rarer, is American Prayer in certain places in the past.

Heck, I even like the coupla LPs ( I have 1, Other Voices) that came after Jimbo.

Hope your reviews are good!

Bryan,

Mine also had a tear in one of the seams like the plastic was just wrapped too tight. This was from Elusive Disc. It was packed very well. I can't believe you got a lower # from Amazon but your explanation makes sense.

I emailed Bob Bantz (president of ED) again to ask if he noticed the surface noise in his copies (I'm guessing he has a lower serial # than any of us!) and yes, all of them do. Just so you're not surprised................ Trust me when I say it's something you'll be willing to overlook.