Identity Theft - I'm Furious!!!!

garymd

Anyone here have their identity stolen? We're in the process of possibly buying a second home near the beach in Delaware and as I was getting a pre-approval letter from our Mortgage Company (had to because it's a foreclosure property), I was told my credit score was over 100 points lower than my wife's. We've always both been over 800 and I was shocked to discover mine had dropped to under 700. Turns out somebody with my name in Florida owes Sprint $284 and it was sent to a collection agency. I don't know if my identity was actually stolen or if Sprint looked up the name and found my SSN. I couldn't get a straight answer from them. If it was stolen, why would they only spend $284?

I spent my entire morning making calls to get this straigtened out and it's just infuriating. They really have you by the short hairs and you have no choice but to wait for the process to run its course. Even though Sprint cleared me (I've never had an account with Sprint) and faxed me a letter stating so, the credit bureaus needed the same from the collection agency who claim it could take up to 30 days even with the letter from Sprint's fraud dept. Ever try to call Equifax to get your rating revised? They won't speak to you. You have to handle it either on-line or through the mail.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have someone REALLY do harm with your identity if it took this much energy (so far) just to clear up one account.

I feel like the guy in the commercial "selling fish to tourists in teeshirts!"

Send the collection agency a certified letter advising them the next step is an attorney with a view to nail them with damages because you cannot buy the home. FAX it first, and copy the letter to Equifax, Experian and TRW (the big three); you might get some faster resolution. Also notify the Social Security Administration regarding use of your SSAN.... Worke for me about 10 years ago when someone in California used my social number. It's a pain in the butt, but after several letters, references to an attorney and a possible civil suit, etc. the credit reporting companies generally tend to put a check next to your name to block any requests for credit unless you notify them in writing. Worked for me.

That's excellent advice. Between us, we have a pretty good grasp on how to get this resolved. There really aren't any monetary issues here as we'll still qualify for any loan and get the lowest interest rate possible, etc. It just PISSES ME OFF that this happened!!!!!

They now tell me they can have something to the credit bureaus within 48 hours. We're making progress but I'm still PISSED OFF!!!!!

Gary,

Sorry to hear this bro. What a PITA and outrageous violation of your personal stuff.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on getting things resolved. Hope it is done expeditiously and to your satisfaction.

I've been mad for years that the government does not take this seriously as crime. Why have a war on drugs and ignore this?

I guess the govt is too busy keeping the borders secure. Wait, well.... there must be something they are busy with.

That's excellent advice. I work for a bank and my wife is an attorney for the Social Security Administration. Between us, we have a pretty good grasp on how to get this resolved. There really aren't any monetary issues here as we'll still qualify for any loan and get the lowest interest rate possible, etc. It just PISSES ME OFF that this happened!!!!!

They now tell me they can have something to the credit bureaus within 48 hours. We're making progress but I'm still PISSED OFF!!!!!

Remember that this is an open forum. We don't need to know where you and your wife work. Social engineering is out there folks. Be Careful!!!!!!

Something similiar happened to me about 20 years ago, just after I moved from MS to VA...a guy using my same first and last name (his legal first name was different) had admitted to paternity. The morons at the family services office in Gulfport did not bother to enter his entire legal name into the DL database, and mine came up. I had to send a notarized picture and copy of my DL to them, plus a close friend of mine had worked at that office and she raised hell with them. It was a mess but the Family Services attitude of "we can't change our case file" really got me going and I had to threaten to sue them as an agency and as individuals. They didn't believe me until they showed the picture to the mother and she said "that ain't him". I hate doing other people's work for them, whether it's a vendor, an insurance company or a government agency. But, we have to follow up and not trust that the agency or company will sort it out. Without persistant follow-up, they rarely do.

2 months ago my credit card bill had a strange charge on it. There was a 260.00 charge from a sporting goods store in France. Seeing that my wife and I are the only ones with access to the card, it was obvious that it was a fraudulent charge. Luckily our credit card company jumped all over it. We've had the same card over 9 years and never paid late, so they hopped in our corner quickly. It's aggravating that these type of things happen, no matter what the outcome.

Guest srobak

Remember that this is an open forum. We don't need to know where you and your wife work. Social engineering is out there folks. Be Careful!!!!!!

LOOK! BLACK HELICOPTERS! Really - a bit overly paranoid, no? "I work for a [un-named business], and my wife is a [position] for [government office]" (bracketed for garymd's privacy) isn't going to kick open any doors man - even if someone also figured out what state they might be in - one of a thousand like [un-named businesses], and try as you might - you most likely will never manage to get a [position] on the phone from the [government office] and confirm with them (or anyone) that their husband, "Gary" works for a [un-named business].

Do you tin-foil your windows too?

Really - being careful is one thing - but you have more chances of hitting the lottery AND being struck by a bus while crossing the street on the same day than you do assembling anything remotely useful from that information. Until his post, I thought he was a doctor. :)

They're after me, mom - they're after me!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All squared away. All 3 credit bureaus took it off my record. I'M BACK!!!!!!

And yes, not much anyone can do with information regarding our occupations although my wife could be blindsighted with lawyer jokes.

BTW - I only play a doctor on TV.

Good for you gary. I had a different problem. A relative used a check of mine to pay a bill and i did not find out untill i started getting bounced check notices. It's another form of identity theft. Found out who did it, got the money back, except for the overdraft charges. Furious is a good description for sure.

LOOK! BLACK HELICOPTERS! Really - a bit overly paranoid, no? "I work for a [un-named business], and my wife is a [position] for [government office]" (bracketed for garymd's privacy) isn't going to kick open any doors man - even if someone also figured out what state they might be in - one of a thousand like [un-named businesses], and try as you might - you most likely will never manage to get a [position] on the phone from the [government office] and confirm with them (or anyone) that their husband, "Gary" works for a [un-named business].

Do you tin-foil your windows too?

Really - being careful is one thing - but you have more chances of hitting the lottery AND being struck by a bus while crossing the street on the same day than you do assembling anything remotely useful from that information. Until his post, I thought he was a doctor. :)

They're after me, mom - they're after me!!!

srobak,

So I take it that you have never had your identity stolen? Probably not but you can run your mouth pretty good. You seem to do in several of the threads......Yada, Yada, Yada!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you will have another wise crack for us all.

When someone offers advice you can take it or leave it. Nothing more, nothing less!!!

Gary,

I am glad to hear that you resolved your issues with the credit bureua's. Mine took about six months to resolve. The guy kept opening new accounts with my identity unitl I put a lock on my credit. No problems since!!!!!

Guest srobak

Thankfully, no. I have taken very good care to make sure it doesn't get stolen.

However - my point was that with the information provided in this thread which you criticized, even the best identity thief is not going to be able to do a hell of a lot with it, and you were being overly paranoid. If you have been a victim of it - then you have my condolences, and hopefully you too are now taking extra measures now to ensure against that. However it would take a lot more than the 3 fairly vague details that garymd posted to assimilate anything useful towards the theft of one's identity.

That's excellent advice. I work for a bank and my wife is an attorney for the Social Security Administration. Between us, we have a pretty good grasp on how to get this resolved. There really aren't any monetary issues here as we'll still qualify for any loan and get the lowest interest rate possible, etc. It just PISSES ME OFF that this happened!!!!!

I agree.

My E Bay account got hacked into in early 2007 and someone was trying to sell and airplane and an airplane engine. E bay caught it but it was a nasty feeling of being violated. E Bayers were writing mean spritied e mails when the auction was canceled.