Question on etiquette

whamo

Hey all, I went on AudioKarma and volunteered myself for the Pony express. I picked up a pair of Heresy II's for someone. They're kind of beat up but they are definetely refurbishable. They need new tweeter diaphrams and have a non-Klipsch woofer in one. I had to stop by the ATM and pay for them myself. I've had several e-mails with this fella but anytime I mention my dough it's unanswered. When I volunteered to pick them up I didn't intend on financing his speaker project. He says he's coming up here sometime this summer so what I'm supposed to wail until then? Here's my question. Would it be wrong to give him an ultimatum that if I don't get the monies in a week then they're mine. I picked the speakers up on April 7th. Almost a month ago. Thanks for any advice. Mark

A stab at: Whatever your agreement understanding of, is, according to your conversations, e-mails regarding transaction would dictate, should dictate your actions. My common courtesy for a forum member would be to have no "out of pocket" expenses for item, as party doing the favor, is already going to some activity to help out. Now if a buddy of mine of 30 years said "Hey man, not a problem, you can give me the coins when I see you", that may be different, dependent upon your relationship.

Is there any way you can call him and talk to him on the phone?

I tend to say yes, there is a time limit on this, especially if the communication is not going well.

In the end, you really can't get too mad with him. Unfortunately, this is a possibility you sign up for when you agree to pick up an item for a stranger. It's the "no good deed goes unpunished" rule.

Greg

Whamo,

Yeh. It sounds like this has gone beyond what would be considered normal courtesy to extend to a forum member.

The main question, as others have mentioned, what was your original understanding of what you'd do for this person?

If the other party doesn't come through with their commitment, I think it is perfectly reasonable to call off the transaction and keep them for yourself.

Well it happened pretty quick. I responded to his add that he needed someone to pick them up for him on a Sunday. Monday at work I checked my mail and he was asking if I could pick them up that evening. I told him I could and volunteered my cell phone# and all that. I asked if they were payed for and they weren't so I volunteered my funds more or less but I did state that I need them back soon. Thanx for the replies but I've decided to write and give him a couple of weeks after that they're mine. I really don't want them I figured I'd help someone out. Mark

What a great idea, can someone pick up a speaker for me in Maine? It will need to be paid for in small un-marked bills. It is a broken heresy missing the cabinet, and the woofer. Will need $3000 cash for pick-up.

Hey Whamo, Klipsch has a pair of Jubilee's I need picked-up, can you get them? Can you pay for them, I'll square up with you later? ........ I wouldn't wait, unless that's what you agreed on .............. I think it's RUDE to ask the guy doing you a favor, to front the money, unless you know him. You did an nice thing for a stranger !!!!!!!!!

Mail him one of the broken diaphragms and mention it will only get worse if he doesn't pay up.

In the spirit of injecting further humor at this point (might as well cheer Whamo up as best we can). Take a picture of a large caliber handgun pointed at the woofer. Underneath the photo.... "Pay up or the woofer get's it". Sign it "Vinnie"....[;)]

Though Grooms Idea is Funny..............it's not a good Idea in this new enlightened age.........

Just Send him a Firm Email, or Letter if you have his Address. Give him 1 Week from receipt, to either Pay up or he looses out on the Purchase of the Heresys.................

You should be able to send the email, with a Reply needed from your Computer...............

Though Grooms Idea is Funny..............it's not a good Idea in this new enlightened age.........

Bill, you are a wise man.

It would be too bad to start with a joke and end up charged with terroristic threatening.

Cool heads prevail.

You sound like a nice guy! Too bad it hasn't been reciprocated.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Mark and yes, he's one hellova nice guy. I'm sorry to hear this happened. He certainly is the last person to deserve this kind of crap.

Mark - I'd email him and give a firm date, one week maybe. After that, I'd try to sell them if you don't want to keep them. Good luck.

What's wrong with people!!!!????? So many scam artists out there. What a shame.