Question about the sky ?

dtel

• Moderators

I have seen a ring around the moon before, but I have never seen this. The picture was taken in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico at about noon. We were sitting around and noticed a bunch of people pointing up and taking pictures. I walked out from the shade and looked up and this is what I seen, it looked just like this it's not caused by the camera Len's, which would have been my first thought.

post-11804-13819373658518_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Here is another, the 2 wires in the pic are from the ship, it lasted about five minutes and was gone ? Moisture reflecting light, ? the len's on the camera is 18 mm, set on manual 1/400 f 16 for both pics. Nikon D 80. 18-135 mm.

post-11804-13819373659948_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I have seen them around the moon before but not the sun, had a feeling it was moisture or ice crystals.

No rings found by me, except the red one's in my eyes from a week of saltwater and many frozen drinks ! [D] [Y]

I thought it looked like ice crystals, but never'd seen one near the moon before. A daylight version is called a "sun dog" or parhelion -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog. A sun dog splays out the colors of the rainbow, except it's off toward the sun, just off to one or both sides, while the rainbow is in the opposite direction from the sun. It has to do with the different angle of reflection and refraction in ice crystals vs. water droplets.

I saw a fine sun dog with colors in the Wolf Mountains of SE Montana, near the Rosebud Battlefield, as in the first pic below. I've seen other sun dogs since that were an extremely bright spot without a color spread 22 degrees away from the setting sun.

Close-up of a parhelion exhibiting a range of colors due to the dependence of the refractive index of ice on wavelength

Sundogs appear on a cold day with blizzard conditions. This photograph was taken in the evening as the sun was setting in Fargo, North Dakota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Parhelion_2005_close.jpg' title="Close-up of a parhelion exhibiting a range of colors due to the dependence of the refractive index of ice on wavelength" class="image">

It looks like a Moonbow. I saw one when I was in St.Lucia. It was really cool. There was a moonbow and the best meteor shower I have ever seen in my life. Gotta love those Caribbean Islands close to the equator.