Compressed air powered car $2 a tank possible 1,000 mile range

seti

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we really need is a screen that is variably semipermiable to gravitons

Many years ago, I read a story, set in Victorian times, about an inventor who came up with a plate that had zero gravity above it. The air above the plate immediately began fountaining upwards in a violent updraft and there was no way to turn off the plate. I don't remember whether it ended in disaster or if he got control of the situation.

They addressed the air kaboom in one of those videos. We are comfortable with gasoline but look at how flamable and explosive gasoline can be? We are riding around with enough gasoline to pack a pretty big boom yet it has been made safe enough.

(sigh......) Gasoline in liquid form is pretty stable and only slightly flammable. It is when it goes from a liquid to a gas that it's flammability increases (significanlty I might add). And it's for this reason that it makes such a great fuel because pound-for-pound, gasoline as we know it packs the best punch with the least amount of flammability in liquid form.

FWIW.....chemical engineers haven't been sitting on their collective duffs for the last 50+ years nor did they happen upon the current state of gasoline by accident. It's the result of constant testing in order to squeeze every bit of energy outta every drop.

As for that small block 400.....gimme a break. As much of a gear head as I am, there's no way you can compare today's high performance engines to yesteryears cars whether you rebuilt the motor or not. You've got Corvette Z06 motors that are getting 500+hp yet their emissions are super clean. Add to that its 24+ mpg and your 400 small block runs crying with its tail between its cylinders. Your motor only makes power with high lift cams with big overlap in cam timing. Essentially dumping fuel through the engine some of which gets burned and some goes out the tail pipe. And let's not even go into cyclinder filing efficiency or pumping losses. Don't get me wrong - I love the bark of a big block motor with 14:1 compression, a big lopy cam, and big tube headers. But it ain't a lean burn motor and it ain't very efficient.

Tom

They addressed the air kaboom in one of those videos. We are comfortable with gasoline but look at how flamable and explosive gasoline can be? We are riding around with enough gasoline to pack a pretty big boom yet it has been made safe enough.

(sigh......) Gasoline in liquid form is pretty stable and only slightly flammable. It is when it goes from a liquid to a gas that it's flammability increases (significanlty I might add). And it's for this reason that it makes such a great fuel because pound-for-pound, gasoline as we know it packs the best punch with the least amount of flammability in liquid form.

FWIW.....chemical engineers haven't been sitting on their collective duffs for the last 50+ years nor did they happen upon the current state of gasoline by accident. It's the result of constant testing in order to squeeze every bit of energy outta every drop.

As for that small block 400.....gimme a break. As much of a gear head as I am, there's no way you can compare today's high performance engines to yesteryears cars whether you rebuilt the motor or not. You've got Corvette Z06 motors that are getting 500+hp yet their emissions are super clean. Add to that its 24+ mpg and your 400 small block runs crying with its tail between its cylinders. Your motor only makes power with high lift cams with big overlap in cam timing. Essentially dumping fuel through the engine some of which gets burned and some goes out the tail pipe. And let's not even go into cyclinder filing efficiency or pumping losses. Don't get me wrong - I love the bark of a big block motor with 14:1 compression, a big lopy cam, and big tube headers. But it ain't a lean burn motor and it ain't very efficient.

Tom

From what I read the tank was designed to fail without exploding.

I was not comparing my 400 small block to todays cars but my old chevy was very reliable. Sorry when I said "clean" I didn't mean grean or efficient or eco in any way. It was literally clean. Like you could eat off that engine compartment....Spotless. When I got the truck the 400SB was a smoke belching oil dripping rotten gasket POS. When I was finished it didn't smoke or leak and that is what I considered clean. It was not what I considered a hot rod. I was by no means saying it was fuel efficient either as it was a V8. I do miss a truck without a computer or electronic this or that.