The Doctor is: IN

picky

Dr. Who, that is! Mike shot me an email late Thursday night and said he was in the Detroit area on school business for the weekend and said he expected that to wrap up by Sunday mid-afternoon. He got to our house around 3:30 pm and he came in and said his hellos to Verna and Ms. Rose. Then, it was out to the garage for the two of us as he said he wanted to listen our Eico ST-70 tube amp / Heresy III combination out in the garage. The last time Mike was here was for “Pickyfest ’07” which took place in the winter last year (March of 2007). I don’t run the tubes unless we’ve got at least 60 degrees outside so that wasn’t possible in March. It wasn’t much warmer than that yesterday as we had about 62 degrees and a fairly stiff northern wind most of the day with scattered rain. We sat in the big door opening with light jackets on and listened to some ZZ Top (One foot loose in the blues), Peter Frampton (Fingerprints) and the Jazz greats’ sampler CD that was given to visitors of the Snell audio room at the AK AudioFest two weeks ago. We stayed out there for maybe an hour when the temp dropped a bit and we got a little chilly. Into the house we headed.I had sirloin burgers marinating in my “special concoction”, complete with my “secret ingredient”: KRYPTONITE. You can ask Colter (Colterphoto1), John (j-malotky) and Roger (IndyKlipschFan) what they thought about my “scary”, green hot sauce (I made the same style burgers for them when they were here two weeks ago). LOL. I knew after being on the road for the last few days that Doc was probably ready for a home-cooked meal. I was right, too! I fired-up the Barbie and threw those 1-inch thick babies on the grill along with some dogs. Verna threw together a wonderful green bean casserole to go along with everything and some canned pineapple wedges to munch on for something different. We had (store-bought) apple pie for dessert. Did I mention I’ve lost 91 pounds since last July 18th? After this meal, you are probably wondering: HOW? LOLOL Portion-control baby, portion control!!

After dinner we went downstairs to the office and got Mike’s laptop all passworded-up to connect to our Wi-Fi so he could check his email. We discussed the royalty-free music software I now use for movie production. It’s Sonic Fire 4.0 from Smart Sound. I also showed him the music collection indexing program I am now using. It's from a company in Denmark and called Music CollectorZ. It was about $35 bucks and works great. It keeps track of the 382 CDs and over 400s Vinyl LPs we own and it includes detailed information about each listing including tracks, track times and current location. It even tracks items you loan out to other folks. We eventually moved into the theater and while seated at the bar, Mike went through my CD play list and asked to hear several selections he was familiar with in (Pink Floyd-Pulse for example) order to compare the sound to what he’s heard. He also selected many groups he’d not heard of to see what they were like. He wrote the names and albums titles down of the majority of them as he liked them well enough to seek them out for the collection he is now building. We talked about many aspects of music and looked up the artists he wasn’t familiar with on the web using Wikipedia. We listened to groups like Jesus Jones, The Power Station and some later Robert Palmer stuff. Also Sting, Rod Stewart, Stone Temple Pilots, to mention a few. Mike even discovered he actually likes Joe Cocker ("You can leave your hat on" is one of Verna's absolute favorites)! We shut down around midnight as I had to turn in so I could get up or work at 5 am.

I was going to take the second half of today off to spend it with Mike after he got up, but he said he was driving up to the Flint area today (about 80 miles north) to visit a few people such as David (DKP) for the afternoon. I told Mike he’s welcome to stay as long as he likes and that dinner would be at 5:30 today. Verna and Ms. Rose are over watching the grandkids today so we’re ordering pizza so no one has to cook today when we get home. Tomorrow, I think Verna plans on taking Mike downtown for a tour of Detroit and the waterfront and maybe lunch at Greektown (a real treat). So, this week is turning out to be a real unexpected pleasure for us all. It’s great to have Mike here since he couldn’t make the open house two weeks ago. We’re all now looking forward to the Indy Pilgrimage next month. We’ll be watching the Wings game tonight. GO WINGS! -Glenn

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like you guys had a fun time. Glen you are totally tempting me with the 1" thick sirloin burgers and the special green marinde. It has long been grilling season here in Georgia and we love to grill.....do it a lot. Can I ask a favor? We do burgers all the time but we do not marinade them. I am very interested in that part. Is there a way you could post the ingredients in the Kryptonite marinade........or is it a real secret? If so, that's cool.

• Moderators

Great update Picky. We all love the Good Doctor! Tell him the dtel gang says "Hello"!

I can tell you Mark loves to grill and like Georgia....we have an extended grilling season down here to, so please share the recipe!

Mark & Christy: No problem. I'm quite flattered that someone would ask. I'd be glad to share.

Ingredients:

• Reese, Hickory Liquid Smoke
  • McCormick, Grill Mates, Montreal Steak seasoning
  • Teriyaki sauce - any brand
  • Kryptonite Super Hot Sauce
    • This sauce is difficult to find and may be out of production. Although better, fear not; ANY green jalapeno sauce will do!

Directions:

1. Line sirloin or ground round patties in rows in a large, glass or metal baking dish
  2. Slather teriyaki sauce over all of the patties
  3. Moderatly sprinkle the Montreal seasoning over each patty - excellent on steaks, too!
  4. Place 2 to 3 drops of liquid smoke on each patty - use VERY sparingly
  5. Lightly sprinkle the green Krptonite or other jalapeno sauce on each patty
  6. Turn all the patties over and repeat
  7. Let patties marinate at least one-hour before grilling
  8. Just before the burgers are done, if desired, apply your favorite BBQ sauce. I get many gifted to me each year so I am always trying new ones but my standby is KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce
  9. ENJOY! -Glenn

The Sonic Fire software is rather incredible, and works really well for a lot of things.

Nice that you got to listen to the Eico/Heresy IIIs.

And once again, congrats on dropping more pounds. You have had a lifestyle change that you should now be able to maintain. I am implessed, Glenn. Keep up the good work.

Glenn

That montreal seasoning is the bomb. How are you handling alcohol consumption on your plan. I play in a golf game almost everyday from April to October & find it near impossible to not drink 5 or 6 beers. Maybe I need to switch to scotch. Not drinking in this game is out. I got 50 lbs to go.

Thanks everyone! The kudos are very much appreciated, but I actually only mentioned the weight-loss thing because of all of the good stuff I mentioned we ate Sunday night and the fact that many of you are aware of my efforts to lose weight. I just didn’t want you to think I was slipping. Congrats to you, too Arky! I agree with Marvel; I’ve been doing this discipline for 10 months now and it has become a livable lifestyle. In other words, once I meet my ideal weight, I shouldn’t have to change much in my habits to stay that way. It is definitely not a “diet” or something that I’d eventually “have to get off of”. I try to eat as healthy as I can, regardless of where I am (home, work, a restaurant).

Disclaimer: The following information is MY opinion and nothing more. I do not have a medical or nutritional degree nor do I claim to be an “expert”. It’s based on conclusions I have drawn through personal trial and error relative to the effects achieved on my own physique. I am only sharing this with you because I have been asked. Please don’t use it as fodder for debate as it has worked so well for me that you aren’t changing my mind now. Thanks for understanding.

Fat intake is the big culprit. I avoid it to a large degree. That’s not to say I eat nothing but fat-free stuff, as most of which isn’t worth tasting in my opinion. And believe me; I have tried much of it. There are some exceptions. But I always know how much fat I am stuffing into my gullet. I hold myself to 50 to 65 grams of total fat intake a day. If I go over, I compensate the following day or two. If I go under I do not try to make up for it as a “bonus” the next day by over doing it. Forget about “Trans Fat” versus “Good Fat” and “Bad Fat”, etc. As far as my body is concerned: FAT IS FAT! I look only at the total fat content and I don’t waste my time trying to juggle all of that other mumbo jumbo. Do I understand it? Yes. And I consider it elitist hoo-hah! Not worrying about only total fat simplifies the confusion that some folks face when they try to play the “good/bad fat” numbers game as I call it. I eyeball the serving size definition, total fat, sodium content and usually the calories, depending on what it is. Moderation, common sense and sensible exercise are the basis for my protocol: And, for me? It works! I eat anything I want; I just know how much to eat and then stop. I am only hungry just before meal time. Gosh: What a concept!

Regarding adult beverages: It’s never been “a habit” or “a problem” for me, but I drink alcohol less often than before and I am not missing any of the fun. In fact, I am having more fun because there’s none of the guilt I would possibly feel from overdoing it. Yes, I still do enjoy beer but I have pretty much moved away from it except on rare occasions when there’s a new one to try, etc. Beer and ale contain a lot of calories and then there’s the grain and bloating aspects. I no longer like “feeling full”. I rarely have more than 2 beers before switching to water or a different form of alcohol such as a mixed drink. At our favorite corner bar, Dunleavy’s Pub, I used to consume 3 pints (16 ounces) of Guinness Stout every time we ate there which is usually once a month. Now, I usually order water. But when I do feel like a stout, I have only one: That’s a huge reduction in my caloric intake and I don’t need the buzz anyway. That also shaves $12 off our meal tab, too (at $4.00 per pint- gas is cheaper LOL)! These days, I am more libel to order a bourbon and 7-up than beer, if I am going to drink at all. By the way, although I do enjoy diet soda as a stand-alone drink. However, it's been my experince that diet soda, such as Diet 7-Up or Diet Coke, tastes horrid when mixed with alcohol as it intensifies the taste of the artificial sweetener, so I don’t bother with diet soda as mixers. Also, I don’t like water in my whiskey so I never just drink whiskey and water even though that would be a simple, zero-calorie mixer solution. It’s rather sip on a straight shot of Old Bushmills than dilute it. But our restaurant (and grocery) bills have plummeted in the last 10 months as I usually just order water when we go out (I love water, tap or otherwise) and I rarely order a combo plate or side dishes, appetizers or desserts. Many times I just order “a burger”. No fries, usually no cheese and never any mayo unless it’s fat free or lite. If the burger comes with fries or potato chips, I eat only a few and leave the rest, usually offering them to others at our table. I haven’t used butter or margarine since July and I don’t miss it either. I use “I can’t believe it’s not butter” spray: 0 Fat 0 Calories and it tastes and smells like butter. Fabio does the lame ads on TV for the stuff. Whatever. My wife says he’s ugly any way. LOL I cook with olive oil. Why? So many people have said it’s good for you, but mainly, I just like the way it tastes in food. I use no special type (no super-expensive extra-extra virgin anything) other than I love the ones that contain roasted garlic.

So, that’s about it, folks. No secrets, no drugs, no operations and lots of will power. I wish I could bottle it; I think I’d be a rich man. And trust me; I may be down over 90 pounds, but I still have things in perspective: I’m still a pretty big guy and although that’s not a healthy place to be, it is much better than where I was. So I may not look as different as one might suspect next month, but I’ll let you be the judge. I’ve lost about a foot off my waist (yes, 12 inches) and I realize that I still have over 100 pound more to lose. I’ll do it! Thanks for all of the support, everyone. It means a lot to me. -Glenn

Glen, congrats on the great progress with the weight, and thanks very much for the recipe. We have guests staying with us this weekend for my son's graduation and I'm going to try your burger recipe on us all. I love everything "hot".........I think it is right up my alley. We always use Montreal Steak seasoning so I'm predicting I'm going to like the Kryptonite burgers. I'll bet the others will love them too. Thanks again.

Mark: That's great to hear and you are more than welcome. I hope the recipe pleases you and your guests. Please let me know what you and they think.

The one special thing about the actual Kryptonite sauce it that it is actually pretty hot as compared with the average jalapeno sauce which is usually very mild. I haven't had luck finding it lately as it was gifted to me so I don't know where it was purchased. It was made by the Figueroa Brothers in Louisiana. As I mentioned, any brand of green jalapeno hot sauce will do, but if you want to spice things up a bit more and you can't find actual Kryptonite, try adding a drop or two of a habenero-based hot sauce such as Melinda's XXX Hot Sauce along with the jalapeno gren sauce. It's not green but it's hot.

Note of Caution: The use if extreme heat sauces such as Dave's Insanity Sauce, should be avoided on anything that isnt a liquid that will dilute it. Unless you are really mean (or crazy) Dave's is not a "topical-use" type hot sauce. It's a resin that should really be used as a food additive and suspended in things such as chili. One or 2 drops in a 12 ounce bowl and thoroughly stirred is how I recommend enjoying Dave's and then only a few people will be able to stand how hot the chili has become from just those one or two drops. I could not be more serious. I love hot sauces especially the better-tasting extreme heat sauces such as Dave's Insanity, Spontaneous Combustion and Endorphin Rush and sharing them with friends. But I do not like to see folks get hurt by the sauces or turned off to the idea of hot sauce just becasue someone played a mean trick on them. And this is not to say you'd do something like that Mark. I do have a friend who actually puts Dave's on his tacos and burgers but then, he's nuts! LOL -Glenn

Thanks, Arky!

For those looking for: KRYPTONITE SUPER HOT SAUCE!!!!!

It is now called "KRYPTO" and is available only through Figueroa Brothers in Dallas, TX at 1-800-886-6354 at $5.95 per bottle. I bought 5 bottles of the green (they have red too which is hotter) and shipping was $9 and change.

Glen

Thanks for the tips on the hot sauces. I completely agree as I have experimented widely myself with the hotter types. Habanero sauces turn me off to a degree since they generally do not taste that good. I like it hot......but it has to taste good first. Plus, habanero can simply get uncomfortable in your mouth as you mention. You need to be careful with those particular type of pepper sauces. I have a cabinet dedicated to just hot sauces and I do have a couple of habanero sauces but I rarely use them. I like dried peppers too like cayenne and hot spicy rubs.

But I am going to do your burger recipe and report back. This first time I am going to have to use some green hot sauce which I have plenty.....no Krypto around here right now. If I need to go hotter.....I'll try that next time. We'll go for flavor first time with a little hot. Too many guests to chance it.

One excellent habanero sauce I can recommend......which is a barbeque sauce actually........is Dinosaur Barbeque WANGO TANGO. (It's on the internet) It is a relatively tame habanero hot sauce that is actually pretty darn hot but not outta the ball park. Everyone will comment on how hot it is believe me. But it tastes really good, and most people will say that it is very good.....just really hot.

dtel: The steak seasoning type is not a real crtical thing to match if you have something similar. There are so many of them out there and many are close. The Montreal Steak happens to be readily available and what I am using now. I have used others in the past with very similar results, so don't sweat the "dtels" too much, pal! LOL The real keys are the teriyaki and jalapeno flavors; they seem to really wake up beef!

Mark: Thanks for the tip on the BBQ sauce. It sounds great and I'll look for it. I like the name, too and I wonder if Ted Nugent owns stock in it (Wango Tango) LOL. I agree with you; habanaro isn't for everyone as it is not only freakishly hot, but it's flavor can be rather pungent and disagrees with many people. I'm one of the lucky ones who like it.

It's nice to hear there's another hot sauce fanatic out there who has a case devoted to the stuff. Here's the one we have in our home theater. It holds 60 of the 200+ sauces I have....

post-10177-13819374108388_thumb.jpg

Did I mention I’ve lost 91 pounds since last July 18th? After this meal, you are probably wondering: HOW? LOLOL Portion-control baby, portion control!!

Way to go, Glenn! It really seems like common sense after a while, doesn't it? Those oddball diets of food that people don't like never work for very long. Eat healthy food that you actually like in the amounts you actually need and that simple idea can keep you healthy for the rest of your life.