RF-7 question

InVeNtOr

okay guys, if by some miracle i can get the complete rf-7 pkg (not sub) would a pair of rs-52's go well with that system? i plan on having a 7.1 system and putting the rs-7's behind the couch.

the only kink in getting that pkg is i may have to go separates because i am unsure the pioneer with only 130w will be enough, but i could be wrong.

thanks again

Inventor,

I don't know about the compatabillity question that you are asking. I wish I could have emailed you directly. Nothing is wrong with Pioneer, but does your Receiver have outputs so it can be used as a pre amp for a sepperate amp?? 130 watts per channel RMS is fine. The main reason for larger amps is for the headroom. If your receiver has pre outs, why not talk to your local audio retailer and see if you can demo something like the Sunfire that you like to see if you think a seperate amp will make a big enough differance to you. I find that on music it is much more noticable, but as you are mostly movies, the sound tracks can be so buisy that I don't know if you will notice the differance as much. Anyhow, a suggestion on a smaller budget is to demo a unit or two for free to see if it really works for your situation, then possibly buy used. ADCOM made some really good units model 5500 which is 200 watts per channel times two channels and a companion, the 5503 which is 200 watts RMS times 3 channels. These amps were arround $1200 to $1400 each when new, and you can buy both models for between $400 to $500 each, closer to $400 each in nice shape on ebay. You would end up with 3 big impressive looking and sounding amps for $1200 to $1500 total, but demo some amps to see what you think before jumping in. Proffesionals usually use three times the power the speakers are rated at. My Cornerhorns are rated at 100 watts RMS each and 400 watts peak. A 130 watt amp is going to go flat and never give 400 watts peak out of your reciever. You also are not driving the amps hard at listening levels, and the Adcoms come with a clip circut and led for each channel that will show you how loud you can go before you are distorting your speakers. It is distortion, not wattage that blows speakers. Best of luck with your prodject...

Roger

well maybe the rs-62 would be a better choice. the pioneer does has outlets for an amp. that was another reason for me to buy it now. in the future when i have more money i can invest in a good 3 channel amp or maybe a 2 channel and 1 channel. this way i can use the equipement now. i would also have to save up for the crossover upgrade.

the only kink in getting that pkg is i may have to go separates because i am unsure the pioneer with only 130w will be enough, but i could be wrong.

The 130wpc from the Pioneer will be fine to get you started.........but in the future for the RF-7's.....you'll definitely want a 300-500 watt amp to power them. It is then they will really shine and you'll fall in love with them all over again. [:D]

I find that on music it is much more noticable, but as you are mostly movies, the sound tracks can be so buisy that I don't know if you will notice the differance as much

Good point.

Should you go the RF-7 route, the limitation with using almost any receiver
is that the Rf-7 has an impedence dip to below 4 ohms (I don't recall how low). This is a difficult load for typical receivers. Klipschorns are much easier to drive.

I have no experience with the Onkyo AVRs and am curious how they are going to work out in the long term for Klipsch owners and how they compare with the Denon upper end units. That being said, the Onkyos both weighs 25% more than the Pioneer and is THX ultra II certified. I feel the THX ultra II requirement that AVRS/amps drive speakers with dips down to 3.2 Ohms helps my Home Theater (listed below), but I don't know how my Denon AVR 4806 compares to the Onkyo except it is considerably more expensive.

Well as long as you use HDMI in to HDMI out, the video will remain untouched, which is what I use for my PS3 and Xbox 360, and I have my HD DVR directly into the tv. This is because the 805 will downconvert a 1080i signal to 720p when it is output via HDMI. Not to sure on the Elites cause I haven't looked into them much.

is that the Rf-7 has an impedence dip to below 4 ohms (I don't recall how low). This is a difficult load for typical receivers. Klipschorns are much easier to drive.

I wouldn't think that this would be an issue in a HT environment when you crossover at 60 to 80 Hz. Full range would be another story.

I wouldn't think that this would be an issue in a HT environment when you crossover at 60 to 80 Hz. Full range would be another story.

I don't know at what frequency the dip occurs. I also would not run out to buy an RF-7 to run it as small, specially for stereo music applications, but that is a personnal choice.