RB-75's and RC-7's......

SWL

I've read that some guys have used two RC-7's for two-channel listening........with fantastic results.[:D]

I'm wondering how two RC-7's compare to two RB-75's? If anyone has had an experience comparing the two........I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

I've got two.......2 channel listening rooms in my house and I'm thinking about a third with RC-7's......since I now have a lonely RC-7 doing nothing on top of my tv. The whole surround sound thing has lost it's appeal to me, although it is really cool, two-channel music listening has taken me over. [:D]

I've seen some RC-7's for sale at the Garage Sale.........I might have to snag one.........but if they're not as good as the RB-75's for music I probably won't bother.

You'd want to rotate the horn 90 degrees for vertical orientation of the speaker.

I don't think they'd beat a RB75. There are reasons why the whole industry went away from the D'Appolito configuration after a few years (Woof-Horn-Woof in tower speakers)

Hi Michael, there are quite few companies still making speakers using the D'Appolito arrangement.

Anyone here besides me ever try a pair of RC-7's as mains?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/3852/26556.aspx#26556

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/5481/37694.aspx#37694

I personally don't see how a pair of RB-75's could keep up in any department.

I used (1) RC-7 as a main for a while when I had an RF-7 being repaired and thought it kicked butt and sounded really good as a main. After hearing it as a main I had planned on getting two for a second system, however that has not come together yet.

post-13790-1381937443687_thumb.jpg

Another forum member, cigaraci, has tried using a pair of RC-7s in a 2-channel system and also had a pair of RB-75s at the same time. If memory serves, he preferred the RC-7s. The OP should contact Carl for his complete thoughts on this.

I'm with Dean on this. I would think the RCs would have a much better overall sound. The RC-7 is quite a speaker.

Another forum member, cigaraci, has tried using a pair of RC-7s in a 2-channel system and also had a pair of RB-75s at the same time. If memory serves, he preferred the RC-7s. The OP should contact Carl for his complete thoughts on this.

I'm with Dean on this. I would think the RCs would have a much better overall sound. The RC-7 is quite a speaker.

As a RB-5 lover (bedroom system) I find it an intersting thread but frustrating. As many on the forum can be....

WHY? is rarely explained.

Colter makes 2 reasonable arguments.

Design goals of a center channel speaker for movies would only make a good 2 channel speaker by accident.

I'm using three RC7 on the front in the HT. Like Mike said, you need to rotate the horns 90 degrees if you're going to use them vertical.

I may be wrong, but don't RC7 have the larger horn driver like the floor standing RF7 where as the RB75 do not?

BTW, yes they sound fine. I'm only using a small Harmon Kardon 5.1 30w/ch reciever. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Klipschorns on the main system but the 30 watts doesn't seem to go to far, even with a 200w subwoofer. I think my next move here will probably be a McIntosh MX130/MC7205 combo.

you need to rotate the horns 90 degrees if you're going to use them vertical.

Really? What if you don't..........will it not sound right?

Can I just tilt my head or lay down while listening? [;)]

"Design goals of a center channel speaker for movies would only make a good 2 channel speaker by accident."

Other than the fact that it has to be designed to fit and work right under or over a television it's pretty much the same as any other kind of loudspeaker. Turn the horn 90 degrees and stand it up on end and it's just a normal speaker. The Tapered Array Network is a benefit regardless of orientation.

"WHY? is rarely explained."

There is more cabinet volume and there is an extra woofer. So, the RC-7 should go lower, have higher sensitivity, lower distortion at any given volume level, and higher power handling capability than the RB-75.

What you need to know is available cabinet volume PER cone.

The KI215 has two 15" woofers, but a rather small volumer per each. Dual woofers give more power handling and therefore output, less distortion at the same output level than a single woofer cabinet. But they don't necessraily go lower.

As a RB-5 lover (bedroom system) I find it an intersting thread but frustrating. As many on the forum can be....

WHY? is rarely explained.

Colter makes 2 reasonable arguments.

Design goals of a center channel speaker for movies would only make a good 2 channel speaker by accident.

"I would think" that a pair of RC-7s would best a pair of RB-75s based upon my listening experience with both (limited with RB-75s) and Carl's actual experiment of comparing the two.

That would be me. Yes, I owned and compared the RC-7 vs. RB-75 as mains. First, let me say up front, the RB 75s are very underrated as Klipsch speakers go. Nice tonality, and if I did not need to trade mine way back when to go vintage, I would probably still have a pair somewhere here.

But, the RC-7s have a "larger" sound - and have a smoother midbass region. While I agree with the premise that some MTM arrays can be problematic, I did not find that to be the case with RC-7s turned on their side. Perhaps it is the tapered array crossover where one of the woofers only does bass and the other goes up into midbass - perhaps it is "magic" or by mistake that the RC-7s sound great on their sides as mains. Not sure - except that they work great. As mentioned, rotate the tweeter horn, but that is easy. And as Dean mentioned, additional driver and more cabinet volume. Also, I prefer the porting on the RC-7s - but you need to give them some room behind them.

I am not alone in my preference. Two or three years ago, a prominent forum member (aaggh - cannot remember his name) who used to post here - and who owns a really nice 7.1 extensively compared RC-7s and RB-75s and came to the same conclusion as I did. Anyone recall who I am talking about so that an archive search can be attempted?

Carl.