Alrighty Got My Plans Set, Tell Me What You Think.

Hey Guys, So i posted a few weeks ago about updating the K-Horns i
currently have, and got quite the plethora of information that to be
honest i was not expecting. :) anyways here i am after some 4-5 weeks
of study and have come to my final choices on what I'm going to be
doing.

Ha... Turns out I'm just going to build a whole new pair
;) i know this has been brought up quite a few times on this forum and
well yes i have read most of the threads, and know these are tough
puppies to piece together, but I've got a 30 year veteran in cabinetry
on my side that i demoed my current pair to.. lol i love peoples
expressions btw, when they hear them the whole jaw drop thing is great
;)... anyway hes got the tools and lots of experience, mind you though
I'm not letting him build them I'm letting him tell me the best ways to
go about construction.

So Hear is what I'm going with, I don't want to use any type of plywood, so i consulted a good friend of the family who has been professionally tuning and restoring pianos for the better part of his life if you've heard of "The Frey" then you may have heard some of his work. He has told me to go with Maple because of its rigidness it will add no color and will not vibrate under heavy bass. I will be constructing using nails and glue, possibly screws but that would require longer build time because i would drill pilot holes.

For drivers I want to go with the original k-33 preferably the Crites variant, Mid's will be covered by the K-55 mated to the Trachorn, highs I'm going with the JBL 2404H. The drivers will be in new condition, besides the JBL (That raises a question.. would the 2404H benefit from a diaphragm update?) for the Crossover i would love to go with the ALK Extreme Slope, but for the sake of money out of my pocket I'm probably going to just have to go with the universal upgrade.

The whole speaker will be wired in 12 gauge, and i will be implementing a quick connect most likely banana plug style for hookups from amp.

I'm going to be using the plans found here http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm, along with the pictures he provided shouldn't be to hard.

Once construction is done i will be sanding the entire speaker to 1200grit except for the main front flat this will be veneered in... i haven't decided exactly but i will be going with some type of Burl. everything except that front flat will be coated in 2-3 coats of 100% oil based black paint with wet sanding at 1200-2000grit in-between each coat, final coat will be buffed and then finalization is going to be a clear coat also sanded at 2000+ and then buffed I'm shooting for Piano Black

After all this and probably a few months down the road i should have a highly nice set of horns eh! haha

Let me know what you guys think, i always love ideas and comments from other people, (food for thought)

Luvmykhorns,

The biggest issue on the 2404H diaphragms is the ohmic value or resistance of the diaphragms. When I spoke with a JBL representative in California last December, If I am remembering correctly, the ohmic value of a new diaphragm should be around 6.25 to 6.5 ohms. If your diaphragm values measure close together, then I would not worry about getting new diaphragms. One diaphragm replacement cost me $117.00 plus about $15.00 in shipping.
Wrinkles

So Hear is what I'm going with, I don't want to use any type of plywood, so i consulted a good friend of the family who has been professionally tuning and restoring pianos for the better part of his life if you've heard of "The Frey" then you may have heard some of his work. He has told me to go with Maple because of its rigidness it will add no color and will not vibrate under heavy bass. I will be constructing using nails and glue, possibly screws but that would require longer build time because i would drill pilot holes.

So you will use solid maple? Don't do it... use void free birch ply (or maple, oak, etc., if you are so inclined) It will be more dimensionally stable and you won't have to glue up any large panels. It has compound angle cuts. Not that many on here haven't built them, but it IS a complex build.

I'm going to be using the plans found here http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm, along with the pictures he provided shouldn't be to hard.

I will send you a CD with more information and more accurate for your build. Erik Forker's stuff is great, but it is all metric. which will be a pain for you to use (or your piano restorer friend). CD has different build ideas, SpeakerLab K series plans and other info. PM me with your address and I'll send it out. A forum member sent it to me after he built his.

The drivers are fine, and it all depends on the condition of the JBLs as to needing new diaphragms. You can use whatever wire you want. The finish is an aesthetic choice that you make.

Bruce

Plans are meant to be altered aren't they?

It looks like you will be spending some serious money on drivers, horns and crossovers. You are not being timid - great! It is a worthwhile effort.

Let me suggest that you first spend a couple of evenings search the threads on the Jubilee bass bins. On one hand, the bass bins are easier to build than the K-Horns (easier miters etc); however on the other hand not all the specifics regarding the cuts (exact dimensions) are readily available. The information is there, it's just that you need to dig for it. The Jubilee bass bin would have a higher crossover point and this will allow greater latitude in the choosing the HF drivers and horns. In fact you could even go to a 2-way system. As far as the crossover goes, you could use an electronic crossover since this would allow for time-alignment of the drivers (each having a different distance). This may or may not be an issue for you.

There is also the option of buying a pre-made unit. Again, look at the threads to get an idea of some of the issues involved. The cosmetics may require some intervention on your part (or an attitude adjustment). Some folks have dressed theirs up and they can look fine. They look massive but the footprint is about the same as a K-Horn and they are more forgiving regarding room placement.

Either way you go, you will have a great system. But I would be remiss for not suggesting the Jubilee option(s).

Good Luck,

-Tom

I think your driver and crossover choices are spot on. My gut tells me you'd be just as happy with the Beyma CP-25's too.

But don't build with solid wood. There's just too many problems with the wood checking, warping, splitting, cupping . . . you know . . . all the wonderful stuff that wood does.

I did some research recently for void-free plywood, and I found that it was not available. There are sources that claim to be mostly void-free, but the idea that there is completely void-free plywood is not so. I ended up using a high grade, or cabinet grade birch plywood made in Canada. You might also consider baltic birch panels which are 5' x 5'.

There's a product called Europly out there that is virtually void-free and seems to be very well made. About $120 per 4 x 8 sheet though.

Someone suggested I look for furniture grade plywood, and I was not able to find it.

MDF is just too heavy.

Greg

MDF is just too heavy.

And it doesn't handle all the edge screws either. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for it. Do it! But the Jubilee woudl certainly be a better option.

I did some research recently for void-free plywood, and I found that it was not available. There are sources that claim to be mostly void-free, but the idea that there is completely void-free plywood is not so. I ended up using a high grade, or cabinet grade birch plywood made in Canada. You might also consider baltic birch panels which are 5' x 5'.

It's unavoidable.

Awesome info guys, i was thinking about the issues i was facing with using a solid wood, but i'm just trying to find the most "sound" and i mean that sonicly lol type of wood, i will do my best to find some void-free ply, but it already seems like i'm going to have trouble lol.

I wanted to thank you guys on your good intentions when mentioning the Jub, i may build a set of those as well.. see i'm actually going to be building two pairs of the K-horns a pair for myself, and a pair for my step father. He again after hearing them lol wants a pair. Its turned into quite the nice little project, maybe we will build a pair of the horns and a pair of the Jubs wouldn't that be awesome ;) i would really really like to demo a pair of Jubs, but am most likely out of luck on that part how do they compare to the K-horns

Thanks Dusten

i would really really like to demo a pair of Jubs, but am most likely out of luck on that part how do they compare to the K-horns

Some thoughts...

1. Where are you located?

2. Are you near enough someone to go there? I'd say virtually all Jubilee owners would love to audition them to you.

3. Most of the Jubilee owners had Khorns prior to their Jubilee purchase. Not all though.

4. Most everyone that I know of that has heard them both has not walked away saying the Khorn sounded better (although they might have said they thought the Khorn LOOKED better than the Jubilee in black)

5. (self-interest comment, so watch out!!) Maybe if you tried the Jubilees, as someone with loads of woodworking experience, maybe you could then find a creative way we could attach some finished panels to ours and come up with some kind of asthetic box/case for the big horn on top without it looking like a bunch of monkeys designed & built it (like mine would look like if I did it) [:P]

1. Where are you located?

2. Are you near enough someone to go there? I'd say virtually all Jubilee owners would love to audition them to you.

3. Most of the Jubilee owners had Khorns prior to their Jubilee purchase. Not all though.

4. Most everyone that I know of that has heard them both has not walked away saying the Khorn sounded better (although they might have said they thought the Khorn LOOKED better than the Jubilee in black)

5. (self-interest comment, so watch out!!) Maybe if you tried the Jubilees, as someone with loads of woodworking experience, maybe you could then find a creative way we could attach some finished panels to ours and come up with some kind of asthetic box/case for the big horn on top without it looking like a bunch of monkeys designed & built it (like mine would look like if I did it) Stick out tongue

I'm located in Denver, CO

I haven't a clue as to anyone around here that has some, but if they do that would be absolutely awesome.

I would imagine that if i heard them i would fall in love and need a pair of both ;)

and yes if i did happen to build a pair you know it, i would of course make them look good, looks are important to me... why?... well because i already know there going to be amazing in sound why not make them look cherry as well right.

Dusten

Any good local cabinet shop will know where to get Baltic Birch.

There are several distributors in the US that have pool trucks that can drop a load off for a minimal fee. In sparsely populated areas you may have to wait a week or two depending where on the route you are.

http://alliedveneer.com/baltic-birch.html

*Shipping is available to all fifty states for orders as small as one sheet and as large as required. Frequently we have LTLs (less than truckloads) going to Texas, Florida, and throughout California. Local will call is available in California and Florida.

5. (self-interest comment, so watch out!!) Maybe if you tried the Jubilees, as someone with loads of woodworking experience, maybe you could then find a creative way we could attach some finished panels to ours and come up with some kind of asthetic box/case for the big horn on top without it looking like a bunch of monkeys designed & built it (like mine would look like if I did it) Stick out tongue

I've always thought veneering that big composite horn would look pretty cool, to make it look wooden.

I'm located in Denver, CO

I haven't a clue as to anyone around here that has some, but if they do that would be absolutely awesome.

I would imagine that if i heard them i would fall in love and need a pair of both ;)

Hi Dusten,

If you ever get over to southwest Colorado, you are welcome to audition the Jubilees! I have a pair at my restaurant in Silverton, 50 miles north of Durango. Once you hear them, there is no going back -You are going to want a pair!

Bill

Hi Dusten,

If you ever get over to southwest Colorado, you are welcome to audition the Jubilees! I have a pair at my restaurant in Silverton, 50 miles north of Durango. Once you hear them, there is no going back -You are going to want a pair!

Bill

Hmm you know i might be able to do this around september, i'm going to be driving to lake powell i might be able to go the scenic route :), lol the way everyone talks about the jubs i'm just ichin to hear em lol

Hey Dusten, They are ALL scenic routes coming here from Denver: 1) I-70 westbound to Glenwood Springs, suthbound to Delta, Montrose, Ouray and Silverton 2) The intermountain route through Gunnison 3) I-25 south through Colorado Springs & Pueblo, westbound over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango Too many choices, too little time.... Let us know when you are coming and we will set you up with a listening session for as long as you like. Be sure to bring some of your favorite music for demos, you won' t be dissapointed! Bill