New Khorns, Please help

Welshstar

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Im not sure if i am acting to quickly. To be honest im not a patient kinda person.

I just know that im not going to fall in love with the sound of the khorns, the biggest thing i missed on my auditioning of them was listening to good recordings, i should have paid more attention to bad material.

Alan

Could be. If that is the case, might I suggest Cornwalls? I still kept mine. They are a very, very good speaker for the money, plus they make that kind of music you mentioned sound great and not as "flawed." I really think the huge mid-range in the KHorn causes this. Anyone agree/disagree?

I'm assuming you checked (with a test disk) to make sure that the 2 Khorns (as wholes) are in phase.

Cymbal crashes and solo violins should send a great deal of energy through the tweeters.

To Tigerwoods: What do you have as active EQ? Are you satisfied with it? Is it hum free?

Hi

After further listening, it is the music.

The problem is that i appear to be like badly recorded music !!!

I just cant imagine the rest of my life only listening to diana krall !!!!

By the way these are for sale now at $2900 which i believe is s good price for a quick sale. Pick up only in South West Chicago burbs

Alan

Hi

After further listening, it is the music.

The problem is that i appear to be like badly recorded music !!!

I just cant imagine the rest of my life only listening to diana krall !!!!

By the way these are for sale now at $2900 which i believe is s good price for a quick sale. Pick up only in South West Chicago burbs

Alan

Good one! Hey, seriously Alan, I bet you'd like Cornwalls. I've had mine for well over 20 years. I think we listen to a lot of the same stuff. Good rock, but not the best recordings. Cornwalls, with the smaller mid-range, sound better with that kind of music. And still, the horns in Cornwalls are very efficient. You can get tons of dynamics out of them and great bass.

Caveat: If you like Korn, Metallica, Megadeth and such, I don't know that Corns would be all that good. The efficiency just makes that kind of music harsh and very unforgiving to the ears.

Cornwalls, with the smaller mid-range, sound better with that kind of music.

I dissagree with this.

Hi Jeff!

Hi, Meagain. How've you been?

With the referenced music (Deep Purple and ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition), both of which I have, I find Khorns make the music sound more "shallow" than Cornwalls. (Don't you just love adjectives?) Sure, they'll get plenty loud, but that mid just seems so full of air. Don't you have Cornwalls, too? My recollection is you do, and I bet you've tried listening and comparing them separately. If so, it probably comes down to different preferences.

I'm assuming you checked (with a test disk) to make sure that the 2 Khorns (as wholes) are in phase.

Cymbal crashes and solo violins should send a great deal of energy through the tweeters.

To Tigerwoods: What do you have as active EQ? Are you satisfied with it? Is it hum free?

Gary,

I sent you an email.

Hi

I know that Deep Purple and ELP are not the best recordings, what surprised me though was how lifeless a great recording of the real pictures by the CSO sounded, that really shocked me.

I will check out Cornwalls, they might well suit my tastes better.

Alan

It strikes me that the problem could be of a completely different nature. Have you tried to listen to the signal coming from the power amp through another pair of speakers or even headphones?

In surprisingly many cases where I have helped people with trouble shooting bad connections or even a turntable without RIAA correction. If I am reading the previous posts correctly, you have not controlled that the output from the power amp is healthy.

K-horns are extreme 'live' speakers but they have to be fed with a healthy signal. I too have had them sound lifeless, but the problem was long before the speakers and easily solved.

Søren

Hi

I know that Deep Purple and ELP are not the best recordings, what surprised me though was how lifeless a great recording of the real pictures by the CSO sounded, that really shocked me.

I will check out Cornwalls, they might well suit my tastes better.

Alan

Deep Purple and ELP should be well recorded. I was amazed last night at how good AC/DC's Back in Black in sounded on my system. Classic rock usually sounds very good, it was recorded before the compression wars. Try some Supertramp, Steely Dan, Pablo Cruise, Eagles, etc., it should all sound very good.