Fuel Economy

It was $4.50 yesterday for me...at Costco!

I had a 1984 4-cylinder 2WD Yoyota PU, and I never got over 25 MPG. I think pauln's linked chart might be a little off...I have heard that those old VW diesel PUs converted to biodiesel are real economical. I haven't looked into that technology at all.

I'll tell you, I can't wait for a small hybrid PU that gets, maybe 35-40 MPG. It doesn't have to carry all that much, for me, but things like a fold-down rack (for less wind drag when not carrying lumber or ladders) would be nice. Mostly, I just need to carry hand tools, skilsaw, cords, etc.

The lower-emissions of today's vehicles is a worthy trade-off for a little fewer mpg, IMHO.

Jeff Mathews:

No, I did these adjustments myself on a 1978 buick skyhawk v6 and reset the factory timing up about to the pinging point then backed it down a hair.The milage jumped up (highway 600 mile trip) from 21 to 32 mpg. And on small block Corvettes (1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, which jumped the milage up from about 16/17 to 24/25 highway. Around town you could get around 15 and worse if you tried hard. Also did the same on a 1976 buick full size with a v6. The problem with new vehicles is the computer is in full control of the timing and if the engine starts to get too hot (240 F) the computer backs the timing down to compensate and horsepower and milage go out the window. The latest Corvettes do this also to protect the engine from pinging but with high compression, reverse coolant flow, dry sump and a normal temp of 240 F. the engines run hotter than a popcorn fart and with computer control can squeeze out 25 mpg with these setups. To run the Vette setup with a regular 4 banger isn't economically viable, yet.

JJK

It depends on how much beer you mix with the popcorn. I would have to say 125F at the exit point.

JJK

..cooling rapidly as it goes from a gas to a liquid...

I know...EEEWWWWW!