extending speaker wire

damonrpayne

OK, a silly question that I probably know the answer to but I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues:

When I get my new toys I'm going to want them closer together with less toe-in. When I ran my speaker wire in-wall I was assuming I'd have my cornwalls tucked DEEP into the corners forever. Now, I DID run all my wiring through conduit in the wall, but I'd honestly rather not mess with re-pulling unless I 100% need to. As long as I buy the same guage wire and do a nice solder/electrical tape job, it should be fine to just "extend" my current wires yes?

• Moderators

Congrats on your new toys! That's awesome. Ideally, I always try to keep as few connections as possible to reduce signal loss. I do not believe it will hinder you at all to extend your wire. It is no different than those that run speaker wire to a wall jack bananna plug, then run from the plug to their speakers. That's an extension too and people do it all the time.

good point youthman. me personally i wouldn't want to add any splices, but as long as you do a good job you won't be able to hear a difference. you can do it the fancy way and buy male and female bananna plugs and not mess with the solder.

so i see you are getting the palladium series....WOW those must be awesome!

You should by-pass the receiver/pre-amp speaker output terminals also and solder the speaker wire ends directly to the innards of the receiver/pre-amp. Less of those nasty connections.

Keith

• Moderators

You should by-pass the receiver/pre-amp speaker output terminals also and solder the speaker wire ends directly to the innards of the receiver/pre-amp. Less of those nasty connections.

Keith

Thats funny ! [Y]

cecca stole my idea.. solder or tin,.,,,, then heat shrink plastic tubing.. over it.. your set.

OK, maybe we both had the idea.. He just posted it first.

In the worst case scenario... use duck tape and see if you feel anything is lost in the connection.. I got a 5 dollar gentilmans bet you can't tell.