Ordered a Blueberry ,now what amp?

Cool! Is is a Blueberry Extreme or plain Blueberry? I have a BBX and absolutely love it.

The Blueberry will have a hard time with the SS amp, becasue it really needs to see a higher input impedance. The MC122 only has a 10k input Z. Hooking it up with no provision to correct the difference might have you wondering "What did I buy into?" The tubed MC275 is another story entirely and would be wonderful.

The JMA products are super products, though, and Marks service can't be beat.

Bruce

I would talk to Craig Ostby (NOSValves on this forum) about his 45W x 2 Stereo (VRD-ST) or 60W monoblocks (VRD pair). As an owner of both VRDs as well as Mac tube equipment - and much familiarity with Marks preamps with VRDs - I can tell you that the VRD-ST or VRD monos are an "outta the park", can't miss solution to your query. Clear and powerful, they are tailor made for Heritage, and a great match for that preamp. Manually biasable to get those output tubes tweaked just exactly perfect, and tube rectification to keep perfect clarity with no added artifacts,"wool", or edge, while allowing perfectly balanced/properly weighted and authoritative bass. They're reeeeeally good.

The Macs are nice amps. I would prefer the later 275s (versions IV and V) sonically over the earlier versions. Definitely an option if you are looking for push pull tube amps for Heritage, and the brand recognition that McIntosh brings, but the VRDs are a better match and amplifier(s) for your system, IMO. I am a Mac guy, too, as stated previously, but I prefer TUBE rectification whereever possible with the Heritage, so I have MC-30 monoblocks powering Belle Klipsch in one of my systems.......VRD monos power Cornwalls in the other.

Do a search for VRDs on this forum and you will find enough comments to sufficiently convince you - and there are a TON of them. We like these here, a BUNCH.

Your SS amp will work with the BB, but tubes are more optimal impedancewise, as Marvel explains about above.

I have a MC 275IV with Blueberry on Khorns and it sounds fantastic, musical bliss............When I purchased the Khorns, the previous owner had VRD's and Blueberry runinng the Khorns and it also sounded very very good, although i had limited time listening to the VRD's. Either, would be a match made in musical heaven.................

I'm just speaking of my personal experience here. I have an older Blueberry that I was using with a Jeff Roland SS amp and the sound was a little thin for my tastes.

Now the good part, I received an NOS Valves VRD ST45 Monday. All I can say is WOW!! This thing is a great match with the Blueberry and Lascalla and getting better every day.

VRD highly recommended here.

The input impedence is user selectable between 2 ranges. They are 36k or 600 ohms. I think some of the thin sound was the matching the amp to the Lascala's.

I have an older Blueberry that I was using with a Jeff Roland SS amp and the sound was a little thin for my tastes.

Did we talk on the phone about this - maybe 2 months ago? If not, you are the 2nd person with a Roland amp to make similar comments. I don't know much about those amps, but I wonder if it has a very low input impedance? Is there a specific model # or year it was made?

"Thinness" is a likely consequence of the BBX driving a very low impedance which causes the bass to roll off a tiny bit. This would be more true with older BlueBerry than with new ones. The new models have a much larger output cap to offset some of that effect. This is never an issue with tubed power amps which almost always have a higher input impedance on the order of 100k ohms or more. The BBX likes to see at least 33k ohms. 100k ohms and above is perfect.

I spoke to Mark yesterday,he was very helpful in suggesting amps.

I'll call Craig at NOS and ask about the st-45 ,I don't see it on his site.

Basically I'm lookin for that dynamic,punchy drive that ss can deliver,lean and mean for the low end.My concern with another tube amp is the bass,It was really a revelation to me ,after 15 yrs. of tube amps what SS,in this case a MC122,can do when matched with my Corns.

My thought is that the BB would warm it up just a tad...the Klipsch,to my ears,have this "real concert" sound that I love,especially on "live" recordings. Van Morrison's new LP has one side that is from one of his live concerts and it really sparkles. I just saw him in NYC a few months ago...best sound I ever heard at a concert. It was a 5 or 7 thousand seat church,the sound was slightly warm,smooth yet powerful and dynamic.

Another vote here for the VRDs. The stereo version is a fantastic amp at a great price. You'd have to spend considerably more to get the same results. I've been running VRDs with my BBX (and BB before that) on Khorns with unbelievable results for a few years now. I have no plans to EVER change what I currently have.

• 4 years later...

Dmitry,

I received an email from Jeff a few weeks ago about crossovers at the above address so it is still live. I would suggest writing him at that email address I'm sure he will share his experience with you no problem. But I'd like to hear what he has to say here also. It would be interesting and enlightening. I don't remember him mentioning the comparison to me over the years but he may have and I just forgot.

Craig