Have you upgraded the tweeter diaphragms in your Fortes (or any other Klipsch)? Let's hear your results

wuzzzer

Beranek's Law

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds
his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of
design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone
else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the
loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's
opinion.

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

So, any change is an improvement because it is "different", and of course "different" is always good.

Does the same logic apply to the K402/69 combo? ConfusedBig Smile

Carl.

The K402/K69a combo has been tested and approved

by a Klipsch engineer. It has been A/B'd against several other

combinations by dozens of experienced listeners.

I suppose it depends on what you're comparing it to as to whether it's truly an upgrade or a modification.

What we should say is that everything modified isn't an upgrade, and some upgrades aren't necessarily modifications.

Geez, my comment was made in jest - and not intended to offend. I guess I should have PM'd you instead and kept it an inside remark. You know that if I didn't already have Trachorns, I would have pulled the trigger on that combo by now .........

No more ribbin' from this corner.......[:^)]

In any event, I agree with your general proposition above.

C.

Can we start calling these 'modifications' not upgrades?

I bought magical driver xyz from a forum member, surely that's an upgrade.

I replaced xxx with yyy doesn't automatically make it an upgrade. The point is that without TESTING, without thorough A/B comparison, none of the modifications mentioned in any of these threads can truly be considered an upgrade. Just becuase someone spends money on something and modifies the existing widget does not automaticall make it an upgraded widget, merely a modified one.

Now if you can do the testing and conduct a fair A/B then you have the possibility of a true upgrade in performance.

And that's exactly why I posed the question on here. I wanted to hear some real-world results.

Look, I upgraded my LaScalas by painting them blue!

I took all the stuffing out of my RF7's- that's an upgrade!

I bought magical driver xyz from a forum member, surely that's an upgrade.

PWK BS Button

I replaced xxx with yyy doesn't automatically make it an upgrade. The point is that without TESTING, without thorough A/B comparison, none of the modifications mentioned in any of these threads can truly be considered an upgrade. Just becuase someone spends money on something and modifies the existing widget does not automaticall make it an upgraded widget, merely a modified one.

Now if you can do the testing and conduct a fair A/B then you have the possibility of a true upgrade in performance.

Baranek's Law comes into play here.

How about restoration? That is how I feel about my 1978 Klipschorns. I upgraded my AA crossovers with Crites A crossovers which used sonicaps. Sonicaps are also manufactured in Arkansas. I had previously had Belles with his convertable A/AA. I prefer the A myself. Each crossover refreshen was an improvement in sound. dThe next step was the tweeter which never seemed quite right. I sent
Bob my 1978 K77 Alnico tweeters he cleaned them replaced the diaphrams
and also soldered hook up wire to them for me. The change in soun was not dramatic but it was there. The high end seemes more even like one tweeter was confused or something. After researching woofers I decided to try his cast frame woofers which are based on PWKs specifications. I will say one of my K33s I had have two cracks in them. After installing the cast frame woofers I noticed the sound quality was definately a major improvement on what I had. The low end was so much cleaner. One of my friends asked if I had the sub turned on which I hadn't. I almost wish I had done this sooner. The cast frame upgrade is KILLER. I am a firm believer in new parts or refreshened parts for old speakers. Next stop K55 rebuild and K400 swapped for K401. I love my Khorns even more now : )

If my speaker is improved by switching tweeters, or crossovers,and not have to cut or reshape anything, I would consider it an Upgrade. I don't believe stock Cornwalls can touch mine, now, and if I had the proper measuring devices, the figures would back up my claims .......... I think I have upgraded my speakers .................... The speakers I own now are nicier than the speakers I bought .......... the human ear would tell you that !!!!

Well, as long as we are questioning K77 performance, if the diaphrams are old and decrepid in the K77's will the frequency response creep downward from lets say 16khz to 12 khz?

JJK

Many people bash the K400 and K77 but I like them just fine. As long as they are operating up to spec.