Which one's positive and which one's negative?

wuzzzer

On the internal wiring of a speaker such as a Forte II, which wire is positive and which is negative? IIRC when I replaced the crossovers on mine there was one that was striped and one that wasn't. Either that or they were different colors, I can't remember right now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look to the network board, usually the traces will be indicated T+ T- M+M-W+W- where the wires enter the board.

Or call/write to Tech Support, the crossover schematic might give the color codes. Sometimes there are two different sizes of the slip-on lugs and the larger is the positive connection.

Just make sure that the arrows on the wires are pointing towards the network and away from the drivers, this allows the backflow of EMF forces a proper path to escape.

You can trust me on this.... Hmm

Otherwise when they fire up the supercollider in CERN ....blamo...blackhole right in your livingroom.....

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm just thinking back to when I installed my new crossovers. I'm 99% positive I connected everything right, but what I did was cut the original wires about 1" from the original crossovers and re-used them. I never unhooked anything from the input terminals on each driver. I'm pretty sure I made a note of what color wire or what striped wire was labeled + and - from the original crossover. I guess I'll have to open up the speakers and make sure. This goes back to my 'Fortes don't seem as dynamic as they used to' post. There is a slight possibility that I have at least one of the drivers hooked up out of phase.

Also, it should be mentioned there is really no positive or negative here, just in or out of phase as this is AC. Your ears should readlily tell you if one is reversed from the other. There is no danger here of damage to anything but your sound quality.

Dave

Also, it should be mentioned there is really no positive or negative here, just in or out of phase as this is AC. Your ears should readlily tell you if one is reversed from the other. There is no danger here of damage to anything but your sound quality.

Interesting point... brings up a question in me...

If a drum thwacks and the driver moves, isn't there a relationship of the driver pushing out (as the initial transient) such that if the driver were wired 'backward" (but still in phase with everything else) it could pull back for the initial transient?

(did that even make sense?)

I THINK it makes sense. What you get instead of a THWACK is a thmush, as one driver pushes air and the other pulls it. 180 degrees out of phase. In theory, total cancellation but in fact just partial due to a variety of issues.

Dave

Not thmush -- it would be a KCAWHT.

Phase and polarity isn't the same thing. In this case, it's polarity. With the wires reversed, the driver would suck back first then push out -- you can see this yourself using a woofer and a C battery.

ok...thwack, thmush, kcawht...

I'm guessing that the initial punch of a drum is caused by the driver making an excursion TOWARDS the listener (pressure wave?) verses away from the listener (suck wave)

If the driver snaps towards listener for the thwack then isn't it possible that you can get the speakers wired internally "consistent" such that they are in phase with each other, but still reversed per the signal and giving suck when they should be giving pressure?

(boy, I hope Amy doesn't smack me for that.... it doesn't sound very good [:$])

Looks like I'm describing them being in phase with each other, yet out of polarity with the amp?

the speakers and amp don't care what is connected to what as long as it is the same on both terminals

Ok then is the following logic accurate?

Setup: All reds go to reds and all blacks go to black. Red on speaker is hooked to red on amp and black/black. Music comes on and here comes a thwack. Signal passes through, speaker cone moves towards listener and he hears/feels thwack.

Change scenario, all the above is the same except for the red on speaker is now hooked up to black on amp and black to red on amp.

NOW when the same music comes through, does the woofer move towards the listener or does it move in the suck direction?

I would expect that the answer would be suck. If so, then this would be reversed polarity? If so, then I'd interpret that as meaning that the amp really does care how its connected.

If nothing in the food chain cared how it was connected (as long as both the same) then why do I have a polarity selection on my Dx38?

(I know I'm being dumb.... I wear it well at times)

[:P]

"NOW when the same music comes through, does the woofer move towards the listener or does it move in the suck direction?"

Upon the application of a positive signal most drivers move forward.