Just Got Klipschorns! Technics amp, but need equalizer?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, thanks, Mr. Colter: a comfortable obsession. Audiopathosis. Something like what Churchill said about writing a book. "Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public." On the forum, presumably.

OK, found a Sansui QR-6500 today. Been in storage for many moons, originally brought back from Viet Nam. A study unto itself. Came with Sansui 4-way speakers. 100 bucks. Now, leaving the "loudness" button off, I have clarity and treble to spare. As was suggested earlier, the fault is in the Technics amp. Sorry, I can't scroll up now, but someone wise discussed less-than-accurate claims of low THD (<.005%, in the Technics SA-818 example). They were correct! Thanks!

Upgrades presently, and audiopathosis promenades on.

Grinning,

Paul

BEC might be able to pop in and advise. I know Paul mentioned his KHorns are ca. 1990. My observations are only limited to re-capping my 1977's. I wonder if 18 year-old caps are old enough to substantially degrade the sound. As to 1977's, it was very, very substantial. Not in the bass so much as in the high-end. From mediocre to very crisp in one inexpensive and quick fix.

Have you been able to isolate each driver/horn yet?

Some say to stuff a sock into them and you've indicated you might not have easy access to do so.... which makes me wonder...

Can't you simply unhook each driver from the crossover (follow wires back) and once done know that this specific driver is dead? I'd think it would be real easy to then hear the other driver.

Or would doing that bugger something up somehow? (I'm sure I've done it in the past with no known ill effects)

I think he's past that. He says they sound good, now.

I know this is heresy in some quarters, but, depending on how many hours it took for them to sound right, even moving I/C's, power cords and speaker wires around requires some settling back in afterward (like a reduced breaking-in period) for K's to sound their best.

I agree he should isolate each driver on both sides just to be sure everything is working. Easy method IMO: do only one speaker at a time (shutting off the other), and disconnect each treble driver in turn at the crossover. A difference should be immediately audible every time, and if not, that driver isn't working.

I turned the bass all the way down and the treble all the way up, then covered the front of the squaker with an album cover. Tweets are definitely working. The old Techics amp was just to pooped to putt. The Sansui is near mint and sounds so clean. Woke the Khorns right up. Like Jeff said, think an inspection of all the innards by Mr. C. would be good. Maybe upgrades. Never can get enough of a good thing. Too much is just right.

Paul

• Moderators

And whats wrong with sansui???Big Smile

Nothing, I had a 8080 years ago and gave it to a relative because a couple of the front light's went out, I wish I had it now ! At the time I was [bs] into thinking newer was better, like a dumbass ! [:'(]

Coytee if all that was left was on earth were Marie Osmond music I would listen to sound effects recordings before her, or just quit listening, and I surely can't sing !

Tip ; A core from a roll of paper towels works real well in testing each speaker, one end to your ear, the other end to the driver. When I bought my Cornwalls I took a core with me, the owner laughed at first, but when I left he kept the core ........ go figure, New Hampshire guy, never saw such a thing, got a chuckle out of it ................

Tip ; A core from a roll of paper towels works real well in testing each speaker, one end to your ear, the other end to the driver. When I bought my Cornwalls I took a core with me, the owner laughed at first, but when I left he kept the core ........ go figure, New Hampshire guy, never saw such a thing, got a chuckle out of it ................

Kentucky stethoscope.

It's ok, I'm from Kentucky. LOL!

Another Kentucky stethoscope trick here fer ya. Got a weird noise in your engine? A cut off broom handle carefully placed against the ear and against different areas of your engine will pinpoint the area of the noise.

Harry

Don't forget the Kentucky Round Steak!!!

Just place a slice of Oscar Mayer Bologna on the BBQ grill!!

Kentucky Woman, does a mean. and lean flank steak, while grilling.

Sansui E-77 Equalizer helps to tenderize my T-3000's.[H]

• Moderators

C'mon Dtel.....I'll sing the Donny parts if you sing the Marie parts.....next pilgrimage Big Smile

Gla51 got my started down the Sansui Path....I now have 4 of their amps..... call me obsessive

It's very obvious you have not heard me sing or attempt it, now Indyklipschfan can sing !