Klipsch on tube amplification.....WOW

SoundTowne

Hey guys I have an old customer of mine, (he is in his 80's and was a personal friend of PWK) that built a Dynaco 70 watt tube amp back in the 70's. He told me it was in his attic. I asked him to get it down and bring it by the store and lets fire it up. I have no experience with tube amps. All I can say is WOW. I connected them to some HeresyII's and the sound was absolutely awesome. I have heard people talk about tubes but I thought it was a bunch of BS. Well the BS s on me. The Heresy's sounded better than I have ever heard. They were so natural sounding it was amazing. My Belle's are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, can't wait to hear this amp on them. Guess I'm gonna have to start looking for some tube gear. OK Guru's what do I need to look for as far as a preamp and power amp to demo the old Heritage stuff on?

OK, I'll bite. You have heard 1 topology of tubes, there are several. I used to own Belles and use SET amps. Low Power, but for me provide the most enjoyable sound. So get yourself a SET amp, 300B, 2A3 or 45 amp to demo, before you decide. I'm sure there is someone in your 'area' on this forum that could arrange a demo.

Klipsch dealer since 72 and no tube experience? Surely you jest... you can't sell Klipsch and not have had some tube along the way... :)

I don't buy it either. That's just absurd. Also, what are the odds you just pull an old Dynaco out of the attic, fire it up and everything works great?

How much do you want to invest? What type of music do you demo most often and at what volume? Digital or vinyl or both?

Well to answer question one... I did not start the business in 1969 I was only 4. Bruce was a McIntosh dealer (among others of the era) and had Heritage gear playing. I went to work for him in 1985 as a car audio guy back in the boom days. I moved to the home side around 2000 and bought Bruce out in 2005. We are in a small market and the majority of what we sell is receiver based product for home theater. We don't have any 2 channel customers. That is one reason for me buying up old Klipsch gear and displaying it. Maybe it will generate some interest.

As for for question 2 we set the bias on the Dynaco and it sounds great. My Belles arrived my truck this afternoon, so we hooked the Dynaco to them...awesome....So buy it or not, thats the way it happened my friend.

Absurd or not, I have to buy what will sell, and in my market multi-channel sells. I can only invest so much for pleasure.

Well to answer question one... I did not start the business in 1969 I was only 4. Bruce was a McIntosh dealer (among others of the era) and had Heritage gear playing. I went to work for him in 1985 as a car audio guy back in the boom days. I moved to the home side around 2000 and bought Bruce out in 2005. We are in a small market and the majority of what we sell is receiver based product for home theater. We don't have any 2 channel customers. That is one reason for me buying up old Klipsch gear and displaying it. Maybe it will generate some interest.

As for for question 2 we set the bias on the Dynaco and it sounds great. My Belles arrived my truck this afternoon, so we hooked the Dynaco to them...awesome....So buy it or not, thats the way it happened my friend.

Absurd or not, I have to buy what will sell, and in my market multi-channel sells. I can only invest so much for pleasure.

It worked out fro you but could have been a problem. You should have considered bringing the caps back to life on low voltage with a VARIAC.

What are you using for pre amp and source?

Are the Belles recapped?

Today we used a Yamaha CD player with a variable preout straight to the amp.The Belles looked to have AA networks they looked factory. I just glanced at them, I uncrated them hooked them to the Dynaco and enjoyed. The guy that owns the amp said it had been in the attic for years.After he built it, he took it to PWK at the factory and they hooked it up and Paul tinkered with it. He said Paul was impressed with the sound of it. He used to work on Paul's airplane years ago. We just turned it on and let it warm up for a few minutes and cranked it up. Man it sounded wonderful!

What caps do I need for them? I can install them.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk. It just sounded a little strange. That makes more sense.

If you think it sounds good now, just wait until you get some really good gear and upgraded crossovers. Also, be careful with that amp, especially if you don't know anything about tubes. After you turn it off, wait a good 10 minutes before turning it back on. I wouldn't leave it on when you're not around either. You just never know.

Got any quality TTs at your shop? If you really want to get the most out of your new Heritage, a nice vinyl rig will help a lot. Good luck.

Any pictures yet?

Yes, technically you should always bring-up old tube gear on a variac. But I've done the same thing as you did with lots of old Dynaco's and I've never had a problem. Got some great sound out of em too!

Vintage Klipsch gear . . . so why not vintage tube gear too? Plenty of old Dynaco and Scott gear kicking around, and you can always get your money back out of them.

What fun! I wish I lived closer to you.

Greg

I'll be honest, after what I heard today I am excited! Man it really sounded great. Got a couple of buds that have some turntables and some vinyl. Next step get a preamp and listen to them on a tt. I'll take some pics for you guys. I'ff try and do it tomorrow. Thanks for the tips on the tube gear. I have NO experience with it. It was alot of fun listening to that 30 year old + gear. I don't have an unlimited budget, please think about me if you come across anything I might be interested in. BTW my new (1983) Brazilian Rosewood Laquered Belle's are beautiful......

BTW How do I upload pic on here??

I use one of TWO methods:

Method 1. Put it on your computer so you can find it under "Browse." HOWEVER, shrink its filesize to less than 150 kb and pixel size to 600 max width.

• Click the Options tab at the top of the Reply dialog box
  • Click the Add/Update box
  • Click Browse and find your file -- click "open" to enter it
  • Click "Save"
  • Click the "Compose" tab next to the options tab to return and finish your post

Click the Post button and you'll see the pic in your post.

Method 2. Right-click on the pic and COPY it. Then, go to your reply dialog box and PASTE it where you want. You can change the size of the pic if it's too big.

Needless to say, I use the second method much more often because it's so simple.

Larry

Yes, technically you should always bring-up old tube gear on a variac. But I've done the same thing as you did with lots of old Dynaco's and I've never had a problem. Got some great sound out of em too!

Vintage Klipsch gear . . . so why not vintage tube gear too? Plenty of old Dynaco and Scott gear kicking around, and you can always get your money back out of them.

What fun! I wish I lived closer to you.

Greg

Bringing up any old gear on a Variac isn't a bad idea. A Variac will isolate many dangerous voltage issues in case of shorts.

Back in '86 I was working for an authorized consumer electronics repair center working on home appliances. There was a VCR model (Zenith if I remember) that would actually send the 110V through the modulator where the cable screws on the "IN" plug. The Variac would keep you from getting lit up like Chevy Chase. I like to bring up all electronics I'm not familiar with on a Variac when I first fire them up. Just a safety precaution as much as anything.

Nice to bring up the old caps up slow on a Variac but not necessary. I believe I read a post by NOS here stating the caps would probably go bad in a short time anyway so why variac them to start with. Bad or weak should be replaced anyway. I may be wrong but I think that was the general jist of the statement. Made sense to me.

A variac is probably the best surge protector too. The strips are mostly useless except as an "on/off" switch and extra receptacles.

Congrats on the "Tube" experience. The old Heritage ain't bad on the tubes eh?

Harry

Nice to bring up the old caps up slow on a Variac but not necessary. I believe I read a post by NOS here stating the caps would probably go bad in a short time anyway so why variac them to start with. Bad or weak should be replaced anyway. I may be wrong but I think that was the general jist of the statement. Made sense to me.

A variac is probably the best surge protector too. The strips are mostly useless except as an "on/off" switch and extra receptacles.

Congrats on the "Tube" experience. The old Heritage ain't bad on the tubes eh?

Harry

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned Craig (NOS Valves). If you own a stereo shop and plan to have a heritage room, you should contact NOS and Juicymusic. You may wind up selling a lot of heritage (new or used). There are also some very talented members who refinish speakers here.

Don't know what the budget is...But you may want to consider doing a "Vintage V Modern" set up

A Juicy Music Peach or Blueberry XII paired with Nos Valve VRD Mono's is about as good as it comes

then on the Vintage side Set up a restored Mcintosh 225 with an MX110 or C22 preamp

may be a great comparison to show how the Heritage series can really shine no matter what you run them with.......