Best mid tractrix horn for Khorn

pzannucci

ALK's trakhorn is very user friendly for installation. It is definitely OEM quality.

A forum member made a pair of diy horns using the same math published on the Edgarhorn site (I think). They also fit in the Khorn top hat, but would require a diy grill solution.

The sound was excellent in both, to my ears, indistinguishable from each other.

I second Dee's recommendation of AL's Trachorns. You should check out Al's Web site. I tried to remedy the same issue you are concerned about on my K-Horns. I first tried replacing the K-400 with Altec 511Bs--a common tweak, and they sounded much better than the K-400 in my opinion-smoother, less honk and more detail. They will not fit in the K-horn top hat without some fiddling, but they are a good alternative to the K-400. Then I tried Al's Trachorn. This was an improvement over the Altec, but not by as much of a margin as the Altec was over the Klipsch horn. The Trachorn is a very well made wooden horn and it will fit inside the K-horn top hat. I found it to be the best sound I could get with the K-55V driver.

George

Ditto what the other guys said... I was going to get Al's horn for my Khorns.

As for

and isn't huge like the 402.

I'm not sure the 402 would even work (best) on a Khorn as we're crossing it at 500hz and the Khorn goes over at (I think) about 400hz. That was one of the issues of the Khorn bass bin, trying to raise the crossover point so different midranges could be used.

Not to mention the K402 looks really awkward on top of the Khorn bass bin (looking for Rigma's picture..... maybe someone will post it?)

I have Als trachorn in my Belles. I would say it is a significant improvement over the original. The elmination of the constriction that was apparent with the stock mid horn is quite remarkable. The addition of the trachorn coupled with Bob Crites speakers allowed for different crossover points that really smoothed out the overall presentation.

Money well spent.

Josh

Hi

I have now built 4 pairs of tractrix horns using ALK/Edgar briefings. It is the best thing you can do to your Khorns even using the K55. I used MDF and high quality cardboard in a multilayer config for the sides. Much cheaper than ALK, maybe not as pretty. I have built a pair for my Altec 288's and am impressed, they actually sound better that the 311 and 811B I matched them against. Another trick which AL suggests (actually EV) is to stand the K77 tweet in the vertical plane (instead of how it lies horizontal in the box). The final trick is to make sure the top end (mid & high) point to your listening postion. The ratio you use will depend on your room and what you like to hear. Becuase of the small room I am in I have left the base bins in the corner (good corners are important), taken the 'top hat' off and put my own top hat on where I am better able to 'point' mid/high to my listening position. I am now driving the top end and bottom end between 2 10w amps: sheer in-your-face pleasure! I have a spare pair of tractrix lenses I built for a guy that ended up not wanting them (went to Altec) if you are interested.

Good luck

I started a thread on this very topic a while back and also asked Roy about this possibility. At the time I had Belles and the K510 would have been an interesting twoway system. I knew I wanted to upgrade to khorns at some point. The K510 can work with the khorn bass bin with electronic crossover. The bassbin is nudged up a a little and the k510 is nudged down a little. I really like the K510.

seti,

What driver do you have on the 510 and does it have a solid 500hz cutoff?

Does it work well as a mid/treble driver?

I was wondering if doing what you said with the khorn bottom end would work well.

Thanks,

I haven't tried that yet. I'm still rebuilding my Klipschorns. Next step is having them reveneered. Roy mentioned the possibility but I have never heard the combo. I would like to though. I have seen specs for the k510 but don't remember what it looks like on the top end. I have read some like the 402 or 510 without a tweeter and some like it just fine without. If I remember right pwk heard the 510 on a khorn.

What Who was alluding too was that with a K-horn you really need to get down to 400. She'll do 450 if you cut it hard and steep -- but 500 is probably asking too much. Klipsch doesn't sell parts for DIY projects, so you can't really get K-510 horns (Shawn bought from Roy's personal stash).

A DIY horn like Al's in a 2" version is going to be pretty big, which means you can't finesse a tweeter in there -- I have no idea how that would work out since no one has ever tried it. The Khorn is what it is, and personally think the best thing to do is just stay with the 1" exit. The JBL 2470 sounds awesome if you can find a pair that haven't been abused. If you're bent on the big horn and are willing to live without the nice looking conventional top section -- use a Community M200 (from Northern Light and Sound) and Eminence APT-50 or APT-200 -- and cross at 4.5kHz. The BMS 4591 has always interested me, maybe a good candidate as well http://bmspro.com/4591.843.0.html I suspect the latter will be a bit more forceful/forward sounding since it has a higher compression ratio -- which means it will probably be closer to the original sonic signature.

I tried the 510 with k69's, 1132's, 1133's, and the manifold that mounts 4 k-55's, and I found the sound lacking in the upper mid bass area.

Not a good canidate for a Khorn.