Marantz Tube Amps

Randyman

Do any of you guys run Marantz tube amps? Was just wondering because I have a few of there Marantz ss receviers and a few different Klipsch models and they all sound really good togather. But I never heard any of there tube stuff has anyone on this form ??? just wondering if they sound any better?

I am fortunate to have a Marantz 8b one of the most sought after of the limited line of Marantz tube amps. I've only had one SS Marantz and that was integrated, so I can't really advise as far as comparisons go.

The 8b is wonderful,smooth, detailed effortless power, but doesn't shine without a really good preamp.

Then there is the collectible factor. Marantz tube gear is highly collectible and that's part of the price of getting one. It means great resale value, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that many are on a shelf somewhere, instead of being used they are collecting dust while they appreciate in value.

There are several members here who own Marantz tube gear and love them. They won't sell them unless they need the money. There is also a fellow here whose name escapes me at the moment who has collected just about all the SS integrated and maybe a tube piece or two and I hope he chimes in.

My feeling is that with their later stuff, like many audio companies, their name, and quality, became devalued when the mass marketers bought them and used their name to peddle pedestrian products.

Do any of you guys run Marantz tube
amps? Was just wondering because I have a few of there Marantz ss
receviers and a few different Klipsch models and they all sound really
good togather. But I never heard any of there tube stuff has anyone on
this form ??? just wondering if they sound any better?

Don't just limit yourself to Marantz tube amps. I have a lot of Marantz SS gear, but tube topology is more important that 'Tube amp Brand'. Check out the different flavors of tube amps from Push-Pull to SET amps.

I agree that the vintage marantz tube amps are wonderful....but I wonder just how much is nostalgia. I had a Mcintosh 275 years ago and now an original MKI goes for $5000, while a brand new/used Mk V can be had for $2700. The New Mk V's are far superior IMO to the original's in many ways except for the collectibility.

so what's my point? If you are a collector or happen to find a vintage Marantz tube amp for a good price , by all means grab one. But if you are looking for great tube sound there are a lot of modern offerings for much less money that will preform better right out of the box.

Case in point: I'm restoring a 40 year old Sansui Au-111 at the moment. i collect Sansui and when one of these puppies magically appeared (very very rare ...they never come around) i dropped my plans for some new mono's that I was eying, and poured my funds into the 111. Will it sound wonderful? you bet. but the nostalgia of having it, beat out having a "superior" modern amp.

The 8b is wonderful,smooth, detailed effortless power, but doesn't shine without a really good preamp.

Thebes.......What are you using as a preamp with your 8b?

So far I've used a Conrad Johnson PV3 tubed pre, which I liked better than the original and unrestored Marantz 7T (that's the SS preamp often used with this model) that I bought to go with the 8B. I also used a totally recapped and modded (thanks to the technical assistance of MikeBSE2A3) Hafler 110 pre which sounded very nice but with that SS steel and grit int he sound. I am currently using an Anthem Pre1 which I like the best of all. This pre has two 12AT7's in the phono stage and 4 6DJ8's. Finding quiet yet dynamic 6DJ8's for the Anthem has been a challenge. The Russians are too muted and many of the older Amperex, Tele's, etc. have been noisy.

Randy I never did try hooking up the Marantz receiver (I'm thinking the model No. was 2240 or 20?) to the amp. Not sure if it even had preouts and it's been given to my nephew to use with some KG 3.5's I set him up with.

Hi fenderbender. Ihave heard read alot lately about Sansui Im going to start looking around for some you got to love this hobby.Huh?

thanks Randy

Hey Randy........I find the Sansui gear to be more transparent and neutral than a lot of the post tube era gear . I actually preferrer it to Mcintosh of the era....new Mcintosh and Marantz is a different story.

The Sansui integateds are a great way to start.....the AU-XXXX are the best IMO a AU 7900 For about $200 will destroy!!!!