LaScala's Possible?

CIGARBUM

Hopefully, attached is a picture of my downstairs system. I have been giving some thought of replacing the Klipsch Forte II with some LaScala’s. With not having a whole lot of experience with them, I have read a lot of different stuff.

You need a sub-woofer

You should use tube amp and pre-amp

You should use GOOD silver speakers cables and interconnects

You should have a room min. of 20’ x 20’

Placement is fussy

I am looking for some opinions relative this subject.

The distance between the Forte’s is 10 feet, there about 1.5 feet off the rear and side walls.

I’m not sure all the trouble (money) would be worth the end result, because the Forte’s sound real GOOD now.

As always your opinions and comments are greatly appreciated

UPSTAIRS SYSTEM

McIntosh 7200

McIntosh C-29

McIntosh 7007

Klipsch Cornwall

$800 worth of speakers cables and interconnects

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM

McIntosh 2105

McIntosh MX113

NAD 542

Klipsch Forte II

$400 worth of speakers cables and interconnects

post-32367-13819411123466_thumb.jpg

(1) You need a sub-woofer. Yes for the most part yes
, especially if you crank them up,but it depends on the music you
listen to and the music source is cd or dvd or movies. also
sometimes I find I am turnig the sub almost off and sometimes I have to
turn it up more. I think it depends on the musi you listen to and how
it is mixed. My LaScalas but out plenty of Bass, I cannot put any thing
on mine unless I want to find it on the floor in the morning.

(2).
You should use tube amp and pre-amp. Probably would not hurt, but I
just run a Pioneer Elite reciever as my pre amp with a old Carver amp
and I love it.

(3). You should use GOOD silver speakers cables and
interconnects. Also probably would not hurt but i have always used just
basic 12 Guage and I have tested high-end speaker cables and I cannot
tell any difference, but I am just a novice compared to people most
people who have LaScalas.

(4) You should have a room min. of 20’
x 20’ Most Definetly, when I bought my LaScalas from a forum
member his living room was tiny compared to mine My lower lever is at
least 30 x 20 and it was overwelming at his house , but sounds great at
mine . Also carpeting versus hard floors it really smoothed the sound
out.

(5) Placement is fussy . just plunked then down turn them a little have not moved them since.

<> Hopefully some of the big guns will reply to help you

My 2 cents worth:

You'll want a sub or two unless you don't mind goosing the bass up with a tone control or eq.

tube, solid state, no matter as long as quality is high enough and noise is low.

silver wire? or you could just throw your extra money in a rat hole -same difference.

20x20 room you do want a good sized room. I think yours is plenty big.

placement is fussy Nah, I don't think so at all. In fact I'd say they are one of the least fussy speakers to set up due to the horn's directivity and the rolled off deep bass.

You should use GOOD silver speakers cables and interconnects

I myself agree with the good silver idea, but see if you can try out what you're thinking of. Bad, brittle, tinny silver is not unknown!

Blue Jeans has gotten good marks on the Forum. Otherwise, really good silver like Siltech is very expensive. Many feel that silver, while clear and transparent, has a relatively thin sound and should be balanced for system synergy with other, full-sounding (but not bass-y) components. Stir, and season to taste...YMMV.

I am located in downtown Sautee Nacoochee, GA. Better known as the big dark mountains of Northern GA. About 2 hours North of Atlana. Not close to anything.

How about just another just another pair of Cornwalls if I can find some reasonable and close by. Shipping is crazy, I'll drive to pick up

I am located in downtown Sautee Nacoochee, GA. Better known as the big dark mountains of Northern GA. About 2 hours North of Atlana. Not close to anything.

I'm just outside of LaFayette, but "you can't get there from here" seems to be a common problem. I don't use subs, but I don't do any HT. My room is 13x21. My LS are closer together, and to me, the bass is fine. They are now toed in a little bit. Could it be deeper? Sure... always. Plain zip cord, 3.5 watt tube amps. Old, cheap CD player. If you want to come over on a weekend and listen, just let me know.

Bruce

post-7149-13819411137544_thumb.jpg

Placement shouldn't be a problem, after all they were developed so Nelson Rockefeller could use them off the back of a truck with a PA amp while stumping for governor. If you get a pair, let your ears be your guide before you start messing with subs. Many people here are bass crazy and while I applaud their fervor, I'll take the mid and high road and get ta audio nirvana before ye.

Marvel, marevelous listening room. Looks very comfy. I'll have to visit some cold winter day, when the fire is lit and the mulled wine is flowing. I'll sit upon the hobby horse and while rocking to and fro relate tales of fallen kingdoms and lovers found and lost.

Subwoofers are not needed with La Scalas, but you may want them. You should listen first, then decide.

Tubes and La Scalas sound great together, but they are not necessary, there are a lot of good SS options too. A Mac 2105 is a perfect amp for La Scalas.

Start with good quality regular speaker wire and wait until later to play around with different interconnects.

La Scalas will work in almost any position and any size room. I believe the acoustic qualities of the room make more of a difference than the size. I've recently heard La Scalas in my smallish 12 x 14 room at my shop and they sounded incredible. No sub needed.

Variety is the spice of life, get a pair of La Scalas and try them out, I bet you'll love em.

Greg

they were developed so Nelson Rockefeller

I believe it was Winthrop and not Nelson...

I agree that most are bass crazy. Perhaps that is why I am so happy with my LS and no sub... [*-)] Alas, it is but a gas fireplace, but it works okay. I have a marvelous wood stove that does give the correct aroma for the house in the winter though. Right now is a lover that is found, as my avatar will attest... [;)]

Bruce

I'm just outside of LaFayette, but "you can't get there from here" seems to be a common problem. I don't use subs, but I don't do any HT. My room is 13x21. My LS are closer together, and to me, the bass is fine. They are now toed in a little bit. Could it be deeper? Sure... always. Plain zip cord, 3.5 watt tube amps. Old, cheap CD player. If you want to come over on a weekend and listen, just let me know.

Bruce

Very comfortable, homey looking room! Looks like a good sounding room, too. Of course, your la scala's look great.

I'll bet your "sweet spot" chair is next to a wall, isn't it? If so, that would explain why you are so satisfied with the bass of your your la scalas w/o a sub. My room is the same way, but my current set-up has the couch out in the room, well away from the walls. If I get close to the walls, the bass is a LOT stronger.

I'll have to visit some cold winter day, when the fire is lit and the mulled wine is flowing. I'll sit upon the hobby horse and while rocking to and fro relate tales of fallen kingdoms and lovers found and lost.

Wait a minute, Marty! Now you're starting to sound like HornEd!

I'll have to visit some cold winter day, when the fire is lit and the mulled wine is flowing. I'll sit upon the hobby horse and while rocking to and fro relate tales of fallen kingdoms and lovers found and lost.

Wait a minute, Marty!  Now you're starting to sound like HornEd! 

But I just love it when thebes waxes poetic!

I would try to experiment with better placement in your downstairs system. Placement in the room is just as important as the speaker itself. Try moving them further away from the wall behind them and further from the side walls (but keep these distances different) and experiment with toe-in. The way they are now, I don't think you are hearing what the Fortes are capable of.

Anybody got a pair at a reasonable price and within driving distance to Sautee Nacoochee??

I'm up in Knoxville, don't know how far that puts me from you.

Ironically enough, just today I got an email from a local friend of mine (who's not very active on the forum, if at all). Anyways, he's recently bought a pair of Khorns and just today, said that he's not using his LaScalas and needs to sell them.

I sent him an email back asking what he was wanting for them and haven't yet heard.

I've seen/heard them...as I recall, they have an enclosed back and PROBABLY have either AA or AL in them. I couldn't see the bottom edge of the crossver, I did try to look.

I swapped out one of Al K's "ES" crossovers so he could hear what a steeper sloped crossover sounded like. We sat back and listened...the sound WAS a bit more clear with the xover change made. I don't know if that means he's got old ones in there or if they've already been fixed and the difference was the steeper slopes of Al's.

Regardless....

I think he's looking to sell them and would be happy to try to put you two together if you'd want to know more. BTW, he lives in Oak Ridge.

If you could check them out and let me know (all the neat stuff). For the right price I would make the drive. Got any idea whata the Blue Book is on the La Scala's

1. I actually DID try to check them out and short of actually removing the crossover, I don't think you could tell what they are (unless you're a Crites, DeanG or someone like that)

2. I'll try to get the serial numbers, maybe that will tell the tale to those in the know, also I'll see if he'll send me some pictures

3. I've got NO idea what his price might be here's his direct quote to me in an email "I don't use them and should sell. They'll go cheap if you hear of anyone looking" I will say that he's a good guy.

4. Blue book? no idea. Didn't even know there was a blue book on LaScalas!!

My LaScalas (1979 are so old, they're in the dusty grey book)

My opinion and experiences will run against the advise given so far but here goes... Keep the Forte II's, the La Scala will have a larger sound stage and play slightly louder but either can do serious damage to your ears so that part is academic.

The size room you have just is nort going to work with the La Scalas. You would be much better off spending some money treating the room and possibly some different source equipment. The Fortes or Forte II's are hard to beat in a smallish room.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Some of the pictures I've seem, boy they got real close together.

I have been thinking of replacing the pre-amp (MX113) with a c-28, I believe the MC2105 is OK. Your right, the Forte II do sound great, may work on the placement a little.

Thanks for the input