Houston, East Texas Audiophiles: The Battle of the Titans date is...

Mallette

Saturday, 4 October at the Mallette home, 2617 Vermillion, Seabrook, Texas.

Many consider the Klipschorn the finest loudspeaker design of all time when cost/performance is part of the equation. The Frazier Model Eleven was designed by the only other speaker designer that PWK considered a peer, at least to my knowledge. It is my contention that its 1db greater efficiency and one octave more bass can be attributed, to my thinking, directly to the friendly rivalry that was part of these two great men's relationship. I have always believed that Heresy was PWK's response the the Frazier Mark IV (I have 4 of these if you've never heard them) and that the Eleven was Jack's response to the Klipschorn.

My Elevens are amongst the last made, numbers 189 and 190 from 1983 and are in superb condition. No one knows how many of the less than 100 pairs remain. We know of at least 4 pair.

The list at the moment includes local forum members Rick Rigler and Paul Nussbaum. Ron (LoneLobo) will be coming down from Flower Mound, and Old Timer says he is going to try. In addition to the PAW, my old friends Doug and Terry Rountree are likely as they are Frazier owners and still found of the Dynaco A-5's and 25's with DynaQuad I talked them into 25 years ago.

My systems are in my profile.

Still haven't determined any procedure for the direct comparison, but you can expect my piano recording of Stewart Wayne Foster, the Hubbard Chamber Music Ensemble, and my 24/192 recording of the Asylum Street Spankers to play a part.

For direct A/B from the same source, I may try the Ramsey FM transmitter.

I'll likely provide dogs, some sodas and suds and such.

More as it develops. Please ring in ASAP to assist planning. There MAY be a room or two available for sleepovers and there are several motels within 5 minutes or so. Let me know if you need help with that.

This is going to be a lot of fun. I rather doubt these two magnum opuses have ever been directly compared. I do not want to prejudice anyone, so I will just say they both sound awesome, and different from each other.

If you have source material or equipment you'd like to bring, feel free. Another ST-70 would be especially welcome so we are driving them identically. I will not do any multi-channel material until after the official comparison as it will be 2 channel only.

Dave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey David, I'll talk to Mike and see if he will drive the Shelby GT500 down. I'll put my ST 70 in the trunk.

That would be awesome! I've been trying to get Mike down here for a while.

Remember, I bought my first pair of Fraziers at SoundTowne. Perhaps I should give them to you for restoration and display in the store. I believe it was the year ST opened.

Dave

Dave you guys be careful down there. I have some friends coming up from the coast tomorrow. Looks like I'm gonna have a house full! I'll talk to Mike and see if he will come for the party.

Todd

Wife and kids are there and probably staying with Mike and Sherry. When I talk to her I'll suggest she stop by and say hi. They may be there for a while.

Dave

Oh, if only I could afford the gas (and my car was more reliable)...I'd make a road trip over your way and bring my Baldwin 6L6 tube amp along for the ride! Afterwards, I'd drive to Houston and visit my good friend Erik Mandaville!

Alas, it is not meant to be...sucks living on a fixed income![:'(]

"Reports of my demise are greatly exagerated." Power is back so if the area is open by 3 October the game is still afoot. If you want the exciting details of my herioc struggles to protect my systems and record collection, see the "Hurricane Season 2008" thread in general...

Dave

You guys work it out. It would be great. I haven't counted sleeping claims yet, but I'll be parking the kids down in the master so there will be 3 bedrooms that can sleep six, plus the two listening areas which can sleep two and one, and that is not counting the floor.

Dave

You sure everything's going to be ok down there by then?

Everything will be OK HERE. I've counted beds and I have 9 available upstairs. Two of those are doubles, so you'll need to be friendly. There is enough floor space for more than are likely to show, so I'd say just do it. I'll parcel beds on first come, first serve basis. I have at least one good air mattress and maybe another, and a camping pad or so. However, I'd bring my own if you want to be sure of something or the other.

I don't think there will be any problems with sleeping. It'll be a hoot. There MAY be hotels available by then, but FEMA, linemen, troops, and displaced persons pretty well have them booked at the moment.

I can get supplies of beer, hot dogs, etc not a problem.

Let's do it...we'll throw in the chance to see a real hurricane disaster area in the bargain.

Dave