It's a wonder

I can think at all

And though my lack of education

Hasn't hurt me none

I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome

You give us those nice bright colors

You give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew

When I was single

And brought them all together for one night

I know they'd never match

My sweet imagination

And everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome

You give us those nice bright colors

You give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome (away)

(Leave your boy so far from home)

That's not true in my case. The best I have seen was 5247 for color accuracy. Typical slides taken in the 50's and 60's have blue decay marks which I have to photoshop out the defects. Takes a long time to fix them and bring back the faded colors, lost contrast, poor gamma, burned centers, fingerprints, and lastly hairs.

JJK

Typical slides taken in the 50's and 60's have blue decay marks which I have to photoshop out the defects. Takes a long time to fix them and bring back the faded colors, lost contrast, poor gamma, burned centers, fingerprints, and lastly hairs.

Are you sure that was Kodachrome? Ektachrome slides from that era faded terribly after a few years or decades, and became shot through with blue discoloration. I don't know how well other E-6 slides like Velvia hold up, but I have no fears about pulling out my early 1960's-vintage Kodachromes. I keep 'em in the dark, of course.

Times, they are a changing........Shame really...I loved to shoot underwater shallow with only natural light with Koda......much nicer than Velvia IMO

kodak Will probably still do custom runs if the price is right....they did it all the time for my buddy Clyde Butcher on custom sizes even....but every run required a $10,000 minimum purchase.......some "boutique" High end shops might do the same......

My father's Kodachrome slides from 1950 on are still wonderful. i scanned about 200 of them after he passed in 2000. He & my brother shot a few Ektachromes in the early 60s, they have all turned blue, and trying to ressurect them after scanning is almost hopeless.

In the 80s I started using Fuji film and never went back to Kodak products. I think the Kodachrome in danger of being lost is now the 100 speed. There was a similar outcry when Kodak killed Kodachrome25, the original Kodachrome. K25 set the standard for saturation and gamut of color, and some pros feel nothing has ever replaced it.

I've moved into the digital realm but I treasure my dad's K25 slides.

Kodachrome slides are about all I have left of my Father's lifetime of photography. At some point my folks basement flooded and all prints and negatives were destroyed. Mom didn't have the heart to tell us. I have about 10 slide trays and that's it. I'm thankful that he put those on the top shelf!

REAL Men shoot slide film- you have to bang on with the exposure and quality of light. No fixing it in the print, ya know?

M

I've a boatload of Kodachrome 25, 64, and 200 that goes back to the Vietnam war. Always my favorite. The stuff I shot in the Golden Triangle in the mid-80's never fails to excite on the big screen with a sharp lens and bright projector.

25 was awesome for setting on bulb at night, then wandering around and popping a strobe on this and that. O. Winston Link on drugs...

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

The latest issue of the Smithsonian magazine has an article on the re-discovery of over 1,000 Kodachrome slides taken by a photographer in 1950 at the start of the Korean War! The quality of the detail and color in those permanent slides is amazing. Here is the only one I could see and copy from the Smithsonian website:

Children in Seoul in the winter of 1950-1951

Needless to say, the yellows and reds in these shots are incredible. They apparently were on exhibition in DC this summer, but escaped my attention. The quality extends to the people pics (the one above doesn't do justice to what appears in the mag). One pic of 5-star Gen. Douglas MacArthur and still-4-star Omar Bradley looks like it was taken yesterday.