Help,I May Need A New Crossover and Cabinet Reglue For A Heresy II, 1986

nola

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOLA: Next "installment" will be the oak veneer on Carl's H-II's and staining procedures. The veneer is supposed to arrive today. When it arrives, I will roll it out and let it "flatten".

As you can tell, while it's not complicated, it can be complex and requires some practice with the tools. If you think this is complex, wait'll I do the "how to" thread on replacing and/or recovering grills.....[;)]

FANTASTIC thread and great photos and 'how to's Marshall! This takes a lot of effort, I know because I've done a couple. Constantly stopping to take a photo at the right stage for teaching the technique and showing the tools/materials used is a huge labor of love.

Seeing your son Michael's beaming face at the end was a happy surprise. Yes he's a fine young man. Must be the discipline around the household, eh?

This one's a keeper. If I was still in Tech Support I'd gather these up in a single PDF in order to help folks out. This is exactly the kind of document that needs to be available to Klipsch lovers who wish to renew the looks of their treasured speakers. Thanks again!

yer buddy,

Michael

Emergency road trip... Restoring project is on hold for today (Don't worry Carl... your veneer is safe!!!)... Yesterday afternoon my daughter's horse falls on her at competetion in Tampa. My wife takes her to emergency room. MRI's, CPT, CSI's, X-rays, this scan, that scan, etc. Banged up but ok. So I'm leaving for Tampa in a couple minutes to retrieve her, my wife, the horse stuff, etc., so the veneer, how to do grills "thread", etc., etc., will be delayed......

If it ain't one thing, it's another.....

• 1 month later...

Well... Now she's got mononeucleosis... Again!!![:@] So this last week+ I have been working from 0:dark thirty until about 11:00 and relieving my wife while watching over Rachel. My daughter is a senior and has to be in every club and extracurricular activity known to man and the result was last weekend she got the swollen adenoids, tonsils, and low grade fever. Blood tests, etc. and she's on homebound study for the next 2-3 weeks. If it is not one thing, it's another... Wow, they grow up fast!!!

Meanwhile back at the ranch.... Last 30 days (yes... it's been 30 days). The weather is great, but it got very cold during the last several weeks (for Florida) and the temps were not high enough to reliably get the veneer glue to set up right on Carl's oaks. I don't have a heater in the workshop, so I did several other things related to NOLA's future project.

First thing I did was lay out and "relax" the oak veneer, and then I made the grills for my Heresy's and Cornwalls (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110684.aspx) and turned my attention to a cabinet problem with Carl's H-II's. Seems like the sanding sealer I was using is not compatible with Flexpro, so strip and re-sand, and allow to dry. No problem, just PIA work and dust... and the sealer is in the hazmat dumpster... Live and learn...

BTW, Here's a photo of Michaels H-I's installed in his "mini-man cave". I did these with Bob Crites' CT-125 tweeters, K-53's on the 700 horns (using the Klipsch 52/53 driver adaptor for screwing on a horn), and the H-III type K-28's. Crossovers are E2's redone by Bob. Super sound, and the K-28 really is a great improvement over the original K-22's and the K-28's.

What I do is measure the panel set for each speaker in a "strip". All you need is a lonnnnng straight edge, carpenter's pencil and a yard stick. I start in whatever "corner" has the best patterns up, and to the side. This allows you to "book match" the patterns so they connect at the seams and both speakers look similar.

Here's the sides and top measured out. When you measure, allow for 1" excess all way around. Reason? It makes it easier to apply the panel during the glue-up process, and gives you plenty of excess to trim. If the panel has very little excess, either the edge trimmer or router can splinter the edges. Oak is one of the worst for that problem. It is "ring porous" grained wood and the wood is very weak and prone to splintering on the grains when cut across the grains.

Cutting is easy. There are veneer cutters, veneer "saws", etc. In the case of a paper backed veneer, those tools are not necessary because the backing reinforces the wood itself. You will need however, to use a very good sharp pair of large scissors. The pair I use for veneer are only used for veneer, and I have them sharpened once a year just to make sure...

If... you are not going to use the panels right away, they will have a tendency to curl. Since the weather got too cold for the glue-up process (has to be >65 degrees for 24 hours), I store them stacked flat, with about 35 pounds of soft dive weights on a 25 pound table saw extension sitting on top..... Figure close to about 55-60 pounds.

The remainder of the sheet is then cut for additional Heresy panels. There is enough for one Heresy complete, and a couple top/bottom pieces. To do two pairs of Heresy's you need two 4x8' sheets, and you will then have enough left over for a third pair. I always buy the 4x8 sheets, it's considerable cheaper, and the veneer will be used within six months or a year anyways.

If... you are not going to use the panels right away, they will have a tendency to curl. Since the weather got too cold for the glue-up process (has to be >65 degrees for 24 hours), I store them stacked flat, with about 35 pounds of soft dive weights on a 25 pound table saw extension sitting on top..... Figure close to about 55-60 pounds.

35#'s of dive weights ? You Seal types like to sink strait to the bottom......I dive with 2 pounds and a skin because I'm a real tough guy [:P][:P][:P]

In Carl's case, I am going to use Weldwood contact cement. Alot of folks don't like to use contact cement, but for Heresy's (small size) it works very well. A word about contact cement... the temperature of the "can", the veneer panels and the speaker cabinet must be equal and above 65 degrees or it won't cure correctly. Easy way? Take the cabinets, panels and the glue can and stick them outside in the sun for about an hour.....

The other issue is not using enough glue. Even the instructions are specific. To apply the glue, I use a small diameter 6" wide fabric paint roller - don't use a synthetic material roller.... the glue will dissolve it.... I also use a stainless steel measuring cup. A Heresy top panel requires 1/8 cup on the wood and 1/8 cup on the back of the veneer. A side panel? 1/4 cup on both. You apply the glue like a thick paint, and it should have an even glossy appearance when first applied.

Let the glue sit for about 10-15 minutes and it gets very, very tacky. Then as described earlier in the thread, you lay on the panels.

Only do the tops and bottoms first, allow to fully dry and cure for 24 hours before trimming, etc. Then do the sides.