Audiogon fee hike

kev313

Howdy guys (and girls?)...been a while since I stopped by. New job has been keeping me busy (not to mention a 1 and 3 yr. old). Hope everyone's summer was great. Anyway, I read the following regarding price hikes on the 'gonon the Asylum and thought it would be of interest here. Apologies if it has been mentioned. Cut and pasted from Audio Asylum:

---

It had been $6 to post a classified ad, and that was it.

Now it is $4 to post, but they then add a fee of 1.5% of the selling price. For a fairly ordinary $1,000 piece of equipment that hikes the Audiogon cost from $6 to $19. That's an increase of over 200%. A $2,000 item would cost $34 to sell so the rate hike gets more onerous as the cost of the item increases.

Hey Kev, good to see you back. I just checked Audiogon and you are correct. Wow! That is robbery, and worse, I had paid $18 in advance for three ads, and now that can only be applied to the new fees. Craziness, Audiogon, eBay and PayPal fees are driving me nuts. What next? Craigslist will start charging? $4 plus 1.5% is really sticking it to us.

1) increases are increases but they made too big of a jump.

2) what are the alternative sites ?

1) Originally Audiogon was $1.50 per ad if I remember correctly, I thought the jump to $6 from $3 was robbery. Adding a seller's fee based on percentage is [bs]. It cost them no more to list an expensive item than it does an inexpensive one. Combine that with their complete lack of buyers protection and what are we paying for? 2) Hi Fi Jim's Audio Bonanza, coming soon! [:)]

Three other alternative sites are:

1. Audio Circle

2. Audio Asylum

3. AudioXsell

I'm very happy about a site that will be coming on-line in the next few months from an individual that I know. He's a brilliant software/coding developer and has been disgusted with Audiogon for some time now (as most people are). He has told me about his new site and it sounds awesome! It's going to be free and not be controlled the way that Audiogon is. I'll be sure to provide the link when the site officially comes on-line.

I stand with others on my hatered and disgust for Audiogon.

• Like 1

1. Audio Circle

2. Audio Asylum

3. AudioXsell

I'm very happy about a site that will be coming on-line in the next few months from an individual that I know. He's a brilliant software/coding developer and has been disgusted with Audiogon for some time now (as most people are). He has told me about his new site and it sounds awesome! It's going to be free and not be controlled the way that Audiogon is. I'll be sure to provide the link when the site officially comes on-line.

I stand with others on my hatered and disgust for Audiogon.

"Hatred and disgust for Audiogon"

Why? I love the site and have bought and sold many items there. The rate hike is too much for a "classifieds" site, but what other factors don't you like?

Well, at least they don't mandate paypal.

Rate hikes of this scaling are difficult to grasp in my mind.

Audiokarma has a classfied section, maybe it's time to look into that. Anyone have details?

Why not use the Klipsch Garage Sale Forum or Audio Asylum - They are both free.

I would like to see this put Audiogon out of business for their greed. Hopefully this will backfire on them.

I am going to do my part and not buy anything from Audiogon anymore! - That's it for me!

EDIT : I just checked Audigon's Website and their fees are still listed at $6.

Not sure what to believe. Maybe they had so many complaints that they backed off. Or maybe they were 'Swiftboated'.

I just checked and the listing fee is $4. If the item sells, there's a 1% fee.

New fee structure

Please note: Starting September 27th 2008, Audiogon fees for sellers have changed.

We have lowered the listing fee and added a "transaction fee" when the item sells.

Basic listing Fee: $4.00 (applies whether item sells or not)

Transaction Fee: +1.00% of sale price (applies only if item sells)

These fees vary based on your Account Type (more info)

I agree to pay the above fees and any outstanding balance monthly.

They have not updated their seller guide yet then:

Private Users trading in
personal gear.

Private parties may register, bid, and buy for free.

Listings items for sale involves a fee.

Registration Free
Bidding Free
Use of MyPage Free
Wanted ads $6.00 each
Classified Ad $6.00 each
Auction Listing $6.00 each
Sales Commission None

Of course fees are going up on Agon and Ebay. Jeez have you seen the price of Internet Gasoline lately?

Some say it's temporary because of the shutdown of the refineries in the Gulf, and sure many claim the internet is full of gas, hot air, what have you. Well our company has been in this business for many years now . What with Arab sheiks, Green regulations and other impediments to exploration and production a modest increase in fees is more than justified and will be immediately plowed back into opening up new Internet Gas fields in formerly pristine areas off our seacoasts. Thus the American solution will be met with American gas.

Slimy Greendog

President

Amalgamated Internet Gas

I work down at the Internet. It’s a good job. I work hard, liftin’ things
and hollerin’. The pooter-woops what twist on the dials all
know me by name and stuff. But they don’t let me have a
puter, cuz I’m new. But when I get one it will be one of
those with the little TV on top. I asked my boss what would
happen if someone stuck their hand in the router when all the
data was pourin’ down it. He didn’t tell me, he just
stared at me cuz I’m new. I like doing all this science and
learnin’. I learned that you could be suspended for
eatin’ peanut butter and stuff in the control room. I
learned that once. And other things too.

The Internet is good because we get electricity
and magnets from it. And my cousin gets dirty pictures from it
too. But he’s real good with computers. He’s pretty
smart. I got hired on here at the Internet about 3 weeks ago. Its
a purdy big building. Almost as big as a grocery store. You can
order groceries on the Internet and get books and songs and stuff
and paste for you house. Or tape.

They say they made the Internet thirty years
ago so it wouldn’t get blown up. But they don’t let the
army use it any more. I know a guy who found out how to blow-up
things on the Internet, but the only thing he ever blew up was
his hand. He works at the feed store now. The internet-stocks are
still up because they are so high. My brother bought stock in
Yahoo at $5 a share. It’s at $400 a share now. But he sold
it when it was at $6. He doesn’t like it when I talk about
the Internet. I have seven trucks.

1. Audio Circle

2. Audio Asylum

3. AudioXsell

I stand with others on my hatred and disgust for Audiogon.

"Hatred and disgust for Audiogon"

Why? I love the site and have bought and sold many items there. The rate hike is too much for a "classifieds" site, but what other factors don't you like?

I do like the site as well, however, I do stand by my hatred and disgust over their outrageous hike in fees. It also stems from their communist screening/controlling of what does and what does not get posted. I would agree that some things should not be allowed but again, they go way too far. One example, they will not allow posts that do not monetarily their site, the key word/emphasis being monetarily. Hence, you can't openly discuss their outrageous fee hikes and the fact that they will arbitrarily take down your adds that have more than one item and you'll see others that have 5, 10,15 items go untouched. I could provide more examples but I think that I've made my point.

Oh, and another thing, 4-8 to get a post up (whether initial or a reply) is ridiculous!

I do think it WAS one of the best site's to buy and sell, however, it's quickly becoming the place to avoid.

• Like 1