Have you switched to Blu Ray why or why not?

EM3

I can't believe I forgot about ripping cd's to the hard drive. I read somewhere a guy installed a 320 Gb hard drive in his PS3. With the new Onkyo 606 receiver that would great. I don't game as much as I used to but I still game some. I cut my teeth on the pre Atari 2600 systems. Thanks for the input folks keep them coming. Anyone using players or PS3's with only 1080i sets?

I feel old now would someone pass Grandpa a beer?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't game as much as I used to but I still game some. I cut my teeth on the pre Atari 2600 systems. Thanks for the input folks keep them coming. Anyone using players or PS3's with only 1080i sets?

I feel old now would someone pass Grandpa a beer?

Don't worry, I've cut my teeth on the pre-Atari 2600 systems myself (I still got an old Sears tele-games pinball unit down in the basement that still works!)

But I see that you are a traveling man seeking the light in the East [;)] (Fredericksburg Lodge #4 AF&AM).

For me, mostly a matter of content.

Most teen-age slasher and vapid romances gets to BR right away. Old classics are slower to get converted even though the magazine reviewers welcome them with great reviews.

On the hardware end, we're finding that the "old" DVD stuff has good quality when viewed on a decent system.

Wm McD

I went BluRay when the Samsung BD-P1400 went on sale for $269 plus 7 free BluRays. That was a year ago when they were still competing with HD, since prices have gone up and no free movies. The Samsung is a fine unit and can internally decode the new formats for mutlichannel output, something the new Samsung cannot do (it only outputs analog on two channel with the new codecs). The 1400 is reasonably fast to load, at least compared to the dreadfully slow Sony players (not including the PS3 which is one of the fastest BluRay players, but is somewhat noisy in a quiet room), and has ethernet connection for software upgrades. Picture quality is source dependent and can look amazing (Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds @ Radio City), or dreadful like many of the early adapted BluRay's (these can usually be identified by not having the new codecs). Sound is absolutely amazing when playing any of the new codecs such as Dolby True HD. DVD picture quality is not up to par with any of my previous players including some 480p players, but I really find myself not watching DVD's much anymore. I can't help but wonder if downloads will quickly become mainstream and take a big bite out of BluRay's market. For this reason I have not built up a large collection of BluRays, fearful they will collect dust next to my DVD Audio and SACD collection. The ease and simplicity of something like iTunes applied to an enormous movie catalog is already in the works for many companies including Microsoft. Of course downloads will not offer the picture quality of BluRay and the new codecs are limited to physical media at this time. However, iTunes is proof enough that consumers prefer downloads to higher performing physical media. I'm guilty of sheer laziness too, I watched American Psycho on cable the other night when I own it on BluRay. Will BluRay last? Not if the majority of Americans are as lazy as me. Imagine flipping through movie covers (like the coverflow view on iTunes), stopping to catch a chapter of Saving Private Ryan, then moving on to a chapter from your favorite concert before settling into Carlito's Way for a couple of hours.

Bought an Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD (it is for sale). Then a PS3. I really like the versatility of the PS3. Games, Internet access, Server functions, Blu-ray, DVD, DVD audio, CD, and SACD. SACD is not available on the newer units. Great sound and video. Because of the bluetooth only remote from Sony, I use a nyco aftermarket infrared remote to allow the use of my logitech universal remote.

I can't believe I forgot about ripping cd's to the hard drive. I read somewhere a guy installed a 320 Gb hard drive in his PS3. With the new Onkyo 606 receiver that would great. I don't game as much as I used to but I still game some. I cut my teeth on the pre Atari 2600 systems. Thanks for the input folks keep them coming. Anyone using players or PS3's with only 1080i sets?

I'm using mine with a 1080I display. It works just fine, you just need to check off 1080P in the menu for the signal output.

The media server is a great option, but you will notice a difference in quality with the CD version of the sounds.

Thanks for the square info. It's so hard to get that info. I wish I could afford the constant height set up but oh well. I probably will go Blu before too long but these past 2 weeks the funds took a beating since the bulb in my DLP died so I replaced that one and then I bought a new receiver. I had planned on getting a fancier one until the bulb went out so I got an Onkyo 606. I needed the HDMI inputs. I looked hard at the Samsung BDP-1500 since it comes with the free Matrix Trilogy from Circui City but I really only liked the 1st one and internet rumor has it that the player will be on sale on Black Friday for $150.

Not yet, but soon.

I've been waiting for the processor pre-amps to hit the market and they are just now starting to. I'm into it for the HD audio and not many processors were passing it over HDMI1.3. I can't wait for Blu Ray to start releasing the concert and music videos that I now have on DVD. That's what I listen to and watch a lot. I may be going with the 60" Kuro, and the Parasound Halo C-3 processor whan it comes out. Not to sure about the Blu Ray player yet, but they too are just begining to do the HD-Audio.

I went BD about a year ago with my LG combo drive. Why did I do it??? I wanted HD and I didn't want to be screwed if I chose the wrong format. I know have 4 BD players in the house; 2 HTPC's, 1 desktop and a PS3. I'm just waiting for audio to catch up on HTPC's. Instead of buying a $200+ sound card to bitstream, I'll wait until I can get a video card that can support bitstreaming... How ever long that is, I'm sure my 8800GT SSC will suffice for now (light gaming). I currently just us SPDIF... No need to buy a sound card for that.

I have Blu-Ray, but only as a drive in my HTPC. For Christmas this year, I think I'll be getting a standalone unit. The HTPC is nice, it can just be a bit of a pain sometimes.

I also have an HD-DVD player. I didn't get the Blu-Ray until after HD-DVD failed. I've got lots of movies for it, there are some cheap ones here.

I'm just now taking the plunge into Blu-Ray & 1080p, as the HT is getting a full overhaul with the new house we just bought. As was said, only some of the newer receivers or pre-pro's seem to be somewhat "future-proofed" by doing what I conisder the big 2:

accepting all forms of audio over HDMI and processing all the current surround formats (including all the lossless formats)

Upscaling ANY video input (not just HDMI) to a resolution of your choosing, and passing it along to your display.

I'm waiting for Emotiva's UMC-1 pre-pro for this, which is due out in a month or so. For $699, it's an absolute steal, but many of the newer receivers can do the 2 biggies I mentioned above.

For the source, I'm using a first-gen PS3, which also plays SA-CD. It's much more user-friendly for DVD's/CD's once you add the $15 Nykko IR remote instead of using the game controller. As a BR player, it's always ranked highly, above dedicated BR players in its price range.

I'm really trying to put together a HT that has the features of a much higher-poriced setup at a level I can afford, and the PS3 is the cornerstone of that. This year's new HT equipment releases have some really exciting features..

But getting back to the OP's topic, even with a 720p display, I'd try and feed it the best source possible, and then upgrade the display when you can..

I have been running BluRay for quite some time. Around 20 forum members have been to my place and I think they'd all describe the picture and sound as Awesome. I have a 106" projector screen, 720p, and it looks great.

If you're looking for a receiver, the latest Denon and Onkyo do pretty well. If you're looking for a pre-amp under $5k, the Integra DTC 9.9 (used to be 9.8, what I have) does a fantastic job for HD audio and plain old 2ch listening as well.

I don't have time to scan the forums as much as I used to, PM me if you have specific questions.

I dont have bluray yet, even though I want to. Did not want to purchase until format was decided between bluray and hd-dvd. Once that happend, I kept waiting for the ps3 to have dts-hd. Then I waited for the ps3 price break but found out the new one doesn't have sacd. So now I guess I will wait for the Oppo BDP-S83 ( It is rumored to do BR, SACD, and DVD-A)

Finally got it done right. Last year I added a Blu Ray player to my HTPC. That was and is a pain in the arse to work with. Yesterday I added the new Panasonic BD55 to my system and it rocks. The analog 7.1 output allows me to get all the new HD audio codecs on my older HALO processor via analog. Picture is fantastic. Certainly about 1000 times easier than my HTPC to set up, except it actually works.

The day after I posted that my only Blu-Ray was in my HTPC, I found a LG BH200 at Best Buy. So now I've got one unit that does HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I just did the firmware update, so now it supports all the surround formats, and upgrade via ethernet. Now it's time to start thinking about upgrading my receiver. The unit I just bought doesn't have analog outs, and I'm plugging along with the old Denon AVR-4802. It's a good receiver, but no HDMI, so no support for TrueHD or DTS Master Audio. I'm pretty excited about my new purchase, though.